Belly Fat

Options
I carry most of my weight in my stomach. It is the first place I gain and the last place to lose. I have lost 22# so far (about half way to my goal) and have not lost even an inch around my middle. Suggestions for additional things to do besides crunches at the gym?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Have you come across this thread yet: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1 It's a pretty good starting place.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    So you're saying you know that your stomach is the last place you lose fat, and you're surprised you haven't lost any fat there despite not being done losing weight?

There's no way to spot reduce fat (short of liposuction), so you just have to keep losing weight and it'll come off eventually.
  • helocat
    helocat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    22lbs! That's great keep at it if there is more to your goal.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Crunches or any exercise will not help you lose fat, bit they could help you retain muscle which is important. Keep losing fat through your deficit towards your goal.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I thought I was doomed to have a fat stomach forever. As I lost weight it turned into a hanging skin with fat under stomach...an apron if you wish. So disappointing.

I keep up the loss and began doing core exercises at the gym. My stomach apron is gone. It's a bit rounded, but I blame that on age, having two children, one delivered by emergency c-section ( vertical incision! :/ )

Keep up the loss. Be patient. Your tummy will flatten!
  • MrsFree2015
    MrsFree2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the only time I started losing weight around my waist was when I really focused on my diet. I could work out as much as I wanted and not lose weight around my midsection. I did low carb for a while and that jump started my weight loss and now I maintain with carb cycling. :)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is all you can do. Crunches won't do anything, you can't work a non contracting tissue. Anytime you feel a burning from doing ab workouts it has to do with a build up of lactic acid in the muscles and absolutely nothing to do with the fat overtop unfortunately.
  • emerald567
    emerald567 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'll just keep at it, and work on strengthening my core.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Cardio.
  • HMD112
    HMD112 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Keep losing weight, unfortunately we cant pick and choose where we loose fat from :( ha
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    emerald567 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice! I'll just keep at it, and work on strengthening my core.

I promise if you strengthen your tummy muscles and lose more fat, you will be pleased by how your tummy disappears. I'm even getting little 60 year old lady abs! They're tiny, but I can see them. ;)
  • VirtualMellie
    VirtualMellie Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Awesome job for coming so far! Keep it up :smile:
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Burpees
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    Burpees

AKA Torture :anguished:
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Reduce your bodyfat percentage by eating in a calorie deficit for a prolonged period of time.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've had to learn to live with a bit of a belly. I'm smaller than my profile pic, but I also don't want to lose any more weight from anywhere else. Just the belly, but to lose what's left on my belly, I'd need to lose more elsewhere too, I'm beginning recomping to see if that helps, but barring surgery which I'm not going to do for a bit of belly, shapewear has to do.