Exercising but gaining waist inches

Options
Ugh. So I've gained almost an inch in my waist this week, and I have no idea why. I did 60min bootcamp on M, Thurs, and Today, along with a 40min walk on Wed. I've been trying to watch what I eat, and staying under my calorie goal. (My food diary should be open if anyone wants to poke around.)

I should prolly worry if I don't go back down in a week, but it's still frustrating. I don't know if I'm gaining muscle under my tummy fat, or if I'm *too* low under my calorie count each day due to exercise. Any thoughts?

SW: 139lbs
CW: 135lbs
GW: 125lbs

Height: 5'2
Waist: 30 last week (31 this week)
Hips: 39

Goal Date: 8/31/11 - 7 weeks

Current plan: 1200/day calorie diet, 60min cardio/strength training bootcamp every M-W-F, general increased activity on all days

Replies

• MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    you're building your ab muscles which will lie underneath the fat and because they grow bigger but the fat's not burned off yet, your waist measurements will increase. not to worry, as you burn off the fat above the muscles, your waist will slim down. so, technically, it's a good thing. it means you're definitely building up and strengthening your abs.
  • marshma1
    marshma1 Posts: 1
    Options
    YOu are probably building muscle! I feel like thats what has been happening to me..so I have been trying to do more Yoga and Pilates type things...I noticed my Butt has gotten bigger...its more shapely..but its plumper...damn those quats!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    One other thing to consider might be water weight. I know that when I retain water (like, during TOM) my waist size will go up as much as an inch, and then shrink back down again. I'm fighting the same problem with the waist measurement this week, so I'm downing as much water as possible and cutting back on sodium to try and combat it (if there is such a thing as combating mother freaking nature!).

Just something to think about.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    3 days last week you were under 1000 calories with over 600 left to eat. EAT! Your body is probably holding on to every ounce because it doesn't know when/if you're ever going to feed it again.

read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

and this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6832-eating-all-of-your-calories-bmr

and this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

and this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

If you still aren't convinced, no one here can help you.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, building muscle in that amount of time is unlikely. It takes SO much hard work to build muscle mass. It's probably not that. More than likely, you're retaining water. When you work your muscles, they retain water as part of the recovery process. Like you said, give it a week and measure again.
  • heather752
    heather752 Posts: 17
    Options
    I agree with a couple of the other posts....probably water retention or bloating! Try to keep your calorie intake around 1200 cal. your body needs food to burn! Also try keeping track of your sodium intake.
  • CowkittyXD
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, guys! I've been doing strength training for almost 3 weeks now. As part of the bootcamp, we've been doing a LOT of abs work this past week or so. It's been pretty tender down there, so I don't know if that's what's going on. :)

I do notice that I gain weight/inches before TOM, so I'm trying to brace myself for that. I think I'm about two weeks away, but I don't remember exactly when that upward weight trend begins for me in my cycle. Perhaps a week before? I'm trying to do better record keeping to avoid getting bummed out each month.

As for eating-- That's been a tough one. I generally don't eat that much to begin with... and when I do, it's normally a carb parade into my mouth. I normally don't even have breakfast, but I've been at least drinking a protein shake every day, and eating a granola bar before bootcamps, and switching out some dinners with spinach salads. I'm not one of those types that tries to starve herself thin-- I just love pasta, bread, and potatoes too much, so I've been trying to show restraint and not eat too late in the evenings too.

Since I'm only trying to really lose 10-15 pounds, I think it's probably really easy to plateau quickly. I'm short but really busty (36DD. Gah.) and curvy, so the smallest amount of weight looks like a lot on me. I've heard of a lot of 5'2 girls weighing about 110, but honestly I'd be happy at 120-125.

It's hard for me-- I'm a technical person, so I REALLY like cause and effect to measure my success. Do X, receive Y. I like to know I'm on the right path. I know I haven't been doing this too long, but this is a new record for me. :)