Being so big, having no energy. Any tips?

Options
I recently gained 50 lbs this year on top of already being big and I feel like I have zero energy, I always have good intentions to work out but my body wont let me, I feel like I'm fighting myself. Any tips or exercises I can start doing that aren't too strenuous? I feel very helpless and trapped in my own body.

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    To add to the above, find something you enjoy rather than something you view as exercise.

For example, when I first began running in high school, I viewed it as a weight loss tool and nothing more. I hated it. Fast forward 10 years and now I love it. The difference is that I ran a 5k race with my students and fell in love with the running atmosphere. I no longer viewed it as just exercise for the sake of exercise. Same could be said for myself and weight lifting. Picked it up one day and loved it.

Figure out what you enjoy. Hiking, dancing around the house, etc. Once you figure that out, you can go from there.

But remember, in the end, weight loss all boils down to a calorie deficit. Exercise alone, although good for your health, will probably not bring you to your goals.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Go to the grocery store and pick up a fifty pound bag of potatoes. That's what you are carrying around every day, and you can't put it down. Your lack of energy is not surprising.

Any activity no matter how weenie, will help. Water activities will be kinder on your joints.

Meantime, start eating at a deficit.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter if you can't do much for now. I concentrated on my calorie deficit at first (had a lot of joint issues) and once I got 10-15 lbs off, I got a little more mobile & the mental boost energized me. I use to tank about 3:00 in the afternoon just from my normal routine, now 40 lbs down I can last the whole day (exercise still wipes me out, so I do it later in the day). Be patient with yourself- things will get better! :)
  • try2again
    Options
    Oh, and BTW, I invested in a good, sturdy recumbent stationary bike early on. Took the pressure off my joints and I could ride to a playlist of energizing music. I had a rule... if I didn't feel like working out (too tired or whatever), I had to try it for 5 minutes and if I didn't feel better & have more energy, I could stop. I've never had to stop after 5 minutes. ;)
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    You haven't said what your stats are, other than gaining 50 "on top of already being big" which could mean a lot of different things.

I'm bringing that up only to point out that, depending on just how big you are, it may not be a bad idea to stick just to your calorie deficit until you can get a physical done just to make sure you're clear to do any strenuous physical activity.

I'm no doctor, but I know obesity can lead to other issues time to time, and I'm a proponent of caution when due.

Stick with it - deficit + exercise or simply the deficit alone will do you good.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's exhausting carrying around 50lbs, and the rest

So just walk

You don't need to hit the gym, get up, stick on your shoes and walk round the block till you feel a little tired then come home.

The do it again tomorrow, but walk a little further

And further

And eat less food
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Eat in a calorie deficit.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Get into grip strength training. It's a good segway into working out. Gripboard.com has a lot of information about it online.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    At 330, I just started eating less and walking on, what had been, my old clothes rack in the basement. Found a better place for the clothes and it suddenly became a treadmill again. Couple other activities happened, but not really things that I'd give advice for.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Give yourself half an hour a day to do some movement, any kind. Walk around the block, ride a stationary bike, swim, dance, walk in place to music, lift light weights (a liter water bottle is about 2 pounds), etc. Go outside or do it while watching TV. Just keep at it until it becomes a habit that some part of the day, every day, you'll move. It won't be easy at first, but after a while, you'll probably start looking forward to it.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    My advice is to change your mindset and start slow. When I started I was over 500 lbs and it hurt just to get up and sit down. I started with walk videos. I did as much as I could. I do push myself, within limits. After a while I just got used to it and I wanted to do more and more. Even when I do not feel like it or my mind says I cant do it, I get my butt up and move. I always feel better after, more mentally than physically.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Start with an activity you enjoy but won't exhaust you. Right now you just want to get used to bring active for 30 minutes or so a day. Go for a walk or something low impact. Do what you can and just aim to do a little more each day. Listen to your body and rest when you need to
  • try2again
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    My advice is to change your mindset and start slow. When I started I was over 500 lbs and it hurt just to get up and sit down. I started with walk videos. I did as much as I could. I do push myself, within limits. After a while I just got used to it and I wanted to do more and more. Even when I do not feel like it or my mind says I cant do it, I get my butt up and move. I always feel better after, more mentally than physically.

The mental aspect is key. Some of us don't work out because we love exercise, but because we love the endorphins!

http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/exercise-depression#1

Also want to add my vote for the walking dvds, especially this time of year. Check out Leslie Sansone on youtube.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Just start logging and losing some weight.

If you really want some form of exercise for now:
    walk - if nothing else, take a slightly longer route whenever you do walk somewhere,
    sit down and then get right back up - do this a number of times,
    dance - you don't have to be Ginger Rogers or Shakira, just move some.

There are a number of small things, like the above, that you may be able to come up with yourself.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    At 330, I just started eating less and walking on, what had been, my old clothes rack in the basement. Found a better place for the clothes and it suddenly became a treadmill again. Couple other activities happened, but not really things that I'd give advice for.

I also started at 330, and walked as much as I could. I eventually went from being able to walk for 15 minutes, and feeling really worn out and out of breath after... to being able to do a full hour and 15 minute low-impact aerobic workout video without feeling like I was going to pass out. I've only lost 40 pounds so far, so I'm still pretty big. But I feel so much better!

You can do it, you just have to make an effort every day to do a little bit. Then as you get comfortable, push yourself to do a little bit more.

It's hard, but it's so worth it. Good luck!
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Take it one day, one step and one meal at a time. It all adds up over time.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Do something small and do it first thing when you wake up. Like five jumping jacks, or walk to the end of the block and back, or five minutes of stretching. Only say you'll "do five minutes" but don't be surprised when if feels okay and you do a couple extra minutes. Doing it in the morning helps because you aren't mentally tired from the work and stresses of the day. Good luck!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I recently gained 50 lbs this year on top of already being big and I feel like I have zero energy, I always have good intentions to work out but my body wont let me, I feel like I'm fighting myself. Any tips or exercises I can start doing that aren't too strenuous? I feel very helpless and trapped in my own body.

I just noticed your name!! I love puggles too, my best friend has two of them :)