Healthy breakfast sausage?

Options
NeuroticVirgo
NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
My daughter really likes breakfast sausage...but I stopped buying its usually so high in calories, sodium etc. Does anyone know how to make it at home (or even make "fake" links out of hamburger that maybe taste like it haha), or some healthier low calorie brands?

Replies

• kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    My daughter really likes breakfast sausage...but I stopped buying its usually so high in calories, sodium etc. Does anyone know how to make it at home (or even make "fake" links out of hamburger that maybe taste like it haha), or some healthier low calorie brands?

I love Morningstar Veggie Sausage Patties. I can't comment on their sodium content, but I know they're in the MFP database. They are much lower in fat than regular sausage but they taste like sausage.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Yes, the morning star veggie sausage patties are way yummy! They taste so much like sausage, it kinda scares me! haha
  • Purplegal32
    Purplegal32 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Try turkey sausage
  • michelle2808
    Options
    Morning star is the bomb :)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    1 pound lean ground turkey
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    Directions
    1.Crumble turkey into a large bowl. Add the salt, sage, pepper and ginger. Shape into eight 2-in. patties. In a nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook patties over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    not sure if yoyu are on about sausages or sausage meat,but i will tell you that quorn sausage are really low cals (99 for 2) i think,and taste just like meat,my kids love!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but the morning star farms sausage patties are awesome!
  • Mandakat17
    Mandakat17 Posts: 105
    Options
    jennie-o turkey sausage 2 links are 90 calories
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Skip it entirely and serve canadian bacon instead. All sausages have fat fillers -- it's part of what makes them sausage.
  • valerieschram
    valerieschram Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I like Applegate Farms sausage (chicken and sage flavor). My kids really like it too. It does not contain nitrates, and they use quality chicken (humanely raised and not administered antibiotics--according to the box). I get it at Whole Foods.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Turkey sausage! Like the recipe above...And if you're worried about your daughter not eating it if you tell her it's turkey--just don't tell her! My parents did that to me with "hamburgers" and "chicken chowder" when we were kids (turkey/veggie burgers and clam chowder...) and we ate it and loved it...could never tell the difference!
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i love quorn sausages and only 70 cals each one, turkey is my other alternative for a meat sausage
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    The healthiest one I've found so far is Isernio's chicken sausage. They have a breakfast variety as well as Italian. The only place I've found it locally is the super Target. It has a lot of protein and not much fat. It's pretty tasty too. I love to make it into patties and use it on breakfast sandwiches.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    If you really want something easy and simple, Banquet makes some good lower calorie sausage links, and good turkey sausage patties. Sodium sucks though. Not as good as the real thing, but they heat up easy.
  • kgagnon7779
    Options
    Skip it entirely and serve canadian bacon instead. All sausages have fat fillers -- it's part of what makes them sausage.

I don't think the OP was looking for a suggestion that tastes nothing like sausage. She's clearly aware that sausage is not the best for her daughter, which is why she asked the question in the first place.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options

I love Morningstar Veggie Sausage Patties. I can't comment on their sodium content, but I know they're in the MFP database. They are much lower in fat than regular sausage but they taste like sausage.

I concur. . I love morning star sausage and so does my 10 year old. . She is used to it, because it is all that I buy!
  • kgagnon7779
    Options

I concur. . I love morning star sausage and so does my 10 year old. . She is used to it, because it is all that I buy!

On that note - have you tried the Morningstar Sausage links? I think they're kind of gross, but I have friends who prefer them over the patties. Also wanted to mention that they sell big boxes of the patties at Costco, which ends up being a good savings.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I'll have to pick up the morning star kind....though I'm a little iffy on anything that is "veggie" after I tried veggie dogs. They were not very good. So hopefully these are better.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    We sometimes have breakfast meats on the weekend only and I have found that our bacon has less calories than turkey sausage. It is really good quality lean bacon.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I'll have to pick up the morning star kind....though I'm a little iffy on anything that is "veggie" after I tried veggie dogs. They were not very good. So hopefully these are better.

I really think a good chicken sausage is the way to go. Whole Foods and Costco both carry brands that are delicious and surprisingly low in calories and fat.