Quinoa

Options
allieconnor2
allieconnor2 Posts: 2 Member
Does anyone have trouble cooking quinoa? I tried a box mix and followed the instructions, but it was a mess and really didn't taste good. I could really use some tips? Also, does anyone have any recipes using it ?

Replies

• Sugar_Cloud
    Sugar_Cloud Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've developed my own way of making it, and so far it turns out pretty well every time. The only thing is I don't really measure anything, so my instruction might not be too helpful but I'll tell you what I do anyway :)

First off I wash it really really well, at least 3 or 4 times. I don't measure it but if I had to guess I'd say I make about 1.5 cups, as there are four of us eating it.

Then I pup it in a medium sized saucepan and fill it with enough water so that there is about 2 finger widths of water (like I said I don't really measure!) above the level of the quinoa. When I'm double the recipe I let the water be about 3 finger widths about quinoa level.

Then I bring it to a boil, lower the heat to medium low and cook covered or slightly uncovered (it sometimes bubbles over) for about 12 minutes or until almost all the water is absorbed, then I turn off the heat and leave it covered for about 5 minutes or so.

(Tip: When it's cooking I look at how much it's bubbling. If the bubble are water I know there is still enough water. Once the bubbles die down or look more "dry" I scrape the bottom of the saucepan to check that it's not sticking and give it a quick little taste. If it's still very hard I add a little more water but if it's firm but cooked and the water is evaporated I know it's done. )

Haha, not sure of any of that makes sense!! The issues I found in the beginning was that it would turn out too mushy and I realised this is because I was using too much water and cooking it for too long.

My favourite way to use it is to add a little olive oil, cubed feta and beetroot, pepper, fresh parsley and a little vinegar for a nice warm salad which is also nice cold.

Good luck!

• allieconnor2
    allieconnor2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • elaineloveslost
    elaineloveslost Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use my rice cooker - it cooks just the same as rice with the same proportion of liquid. Use chicken broth or chicken bouillon cubes for flavor. I either eat it as is, or add some pepper or parmasan cheese as a mix in.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use it in soups, but you can cook it like rice - try using beef or chicken broth to give it other flavors. I usually use beef broth and toss in some garlic and rosemary as seasonings. :) LOVE quinoa.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I cook it just like rice...two parts liquid (usually chicken stock) to one part quinoa. I simmer it really low and it takes longer than rice. If you simmer it too high, the liquid will be gone before the quinoa is fully cooked.
  • mrsjoyw
    mrsjoyw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I cook about a cup as directed and add it instead of rice to lean ground turkey and whatever else you like to use to make the filling for stuffed bell peppers. For whatever reason, parmesan cheese really pairs well with quinoa so I add about 1/4 cup of parmesan too.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I always use it in a recipe and never eat it by itself-- but rinsing it well before cooking does seem to help, and also not overcooking so it doesn't turn to mush.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Definitely wash it well otherwise it has a soapy taste. I like cooking mine in broth.

I have some great quinoa recipes at home. I will try to remember to share with you. Feel free to give me a nudge over the weekend if I haven't shared yet!!
  • freckles2392
    freckles2392 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I cook mine with chicken bouilon cubes for some flavor. I am trying to understand how to wash it though. If you have a flavored, already mixed box of quinoa, do you still wash it? And even with regular quinoa, how do you wash it? The strainer I have makes all the quinoa go in the sink so I was considering tossing it in water for a few mins.
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I always toast it in butter or oil with onions and garlic, maybe some peppers before adding broth and seasoning for the liquid (however much liquid the package calls for, cook it covered). I find I really have to add a lot of flavor for it to come through after it's cooked. It also tastes much better as leftovers.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    Pretty simple really. Add 2 parts water to 1 part quinoa in a pot, bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer and cover until tender and fluffy (quinoa becomes translucent) and all the water is absorbed, which takes about 10-15 mins.
  • goodyerin
    goodyerin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I buy it in bulk so maybe this doesn't apply to the boxed kind, but here's what I do... I rinse it first, pretty important. I let it soak for 5 minutes (while I boil the liquid and spices) and then strain it. I cook it with a ratio of 1:1.25 liquid. I use chicken broth instead of water. I throw in turmeric because it's super healthy and I like the color.

Also, not sure how you're eating it, but I treat it basically like rice, make it each time with a sauce for veggie stir fry. Or I use it as the base of a summer salad. It can also bulk up a bean salad (but be careful with the dressing because it'll get soggy).

I go through phases with it, since it requires some prep sometimes I'll make a big batch then store it in a tight container and use for various things. Or make it as I go in smaller amounts. Sometimes I need a break from it altogether.

Good luck!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Quinoa doesn't need cooked! Cover it in boiling water, it will soak up all water and be ready to eat in 10 min. Simple.
  • 23susu23
    23susu23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    lowfatveganchef.com/how-to-cook-quinoa-perfectly-every-time/

Hope this link works. Cut and paste if not.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I hated quinoa until I bought the Near East boxed ones. They are mixed with brown rice and taste great. The Rosemary and olive oil is my favorite.
  • LazyNightOwl
    LazyNightOwl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    After rinsing my quinoa I put it in a pot and put it over medium heat and toast it (appx 5-7 min) before I add my liquid (I usually use chicken broth). Gives it a nice nutty flavor.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    After rinsing my quinoa I put it in a pot and put it over medium heat and toast it (appx 5-7 min) before I add my liquid (I usually use chicken broth). Gives it a nice nutty flavor.
    I hated quinoa until I bought the Near East boxed ones. They are mixed with brown rice and taste great. The Rosemary and olive oil is my favorite.

Gotta try these ideas.. plus a few others that I see above. Thanks for sharing all!
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Do rinse it well before cooking. That makes a difference. Also, I agree that cooking in bouillon or stock boosts the flavor. If you don't cook in a flavourful liquid, consider adding a bit of salt to the cooking water and finish off by stirring in a knob of butter. The texture is nicer and flavour improved. Don't give up. My first attempts at quinoa were underwhelming and now we are fine.
  • mcfish618
    mcfish618 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/quinoa-fiesta-enchilada-bake/
    This is my favorite recipe with quinoa. I also make it by rinsing it first in a tea strainer since it is very fine then while coolkin it add salsa and onions and garlic. Once it is done and all the liquid is absorbed I had and more salsa and black beans so yummy I will add a bit of shredded cheese on top it keeps me full for hours.
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This.
    Quinoa doesn't need cooked! Cover it in boiling water, it will soak up all water and be ready to eat in 10 min. Simple.

I rinse it and dump it in a pot of boiling water
    My ratio 1c quinoa to 1.5c water shut off the heat and cover it and walk away. Sometimes I add a pinch of salt or brewers yeast.