Restaurants should post calories

Options

Replies

• yoghurtand
    yoghurtand Posts: 119
    Options
    Even when a restaurant posts their nutrition info it is pretty inaccurate. Nutrition info is based off of their 'official' recipe, but I have worked in a lot of restaurants over the years and the cooks rarely follow the recipe. A recipe may call for a cup of oil or a cup of cheese, but no one measures they could be adding 2-3 cups.

Cooks also don't measure out what the serving size is according to the recipe. I worked in a Mexican restaurant that 90% of the food that left the kitchen had 1.5 or 2 times the amount of food that the recipe called for. Even if we had given out nutrition info it may have said 700 calories when it would really be 1000-1400 calories.

Fast food restaurants actually have it easier when it comes to posting nutrition because everything is frozen and everything comes out pretty much the same. Anything made from scratch, you really don't know what's going into it no matter what the restaurant says.

Simply put there is no way to actually know what you are getting unless you cook at home.

If this is the case, I doubt I'll ever be able to eat out again :/
  • tracivee
    tracivee Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY! Not every problem needs to be fixed by our gov't. If you don't want to be fat, eat at home....and if you eat a meal at a restaurant that is 1000 calories, it's not going to make you fat or kill you. It's when you do that everyday that makes you fat. People need self control and personal responsibility, not hand holding.

How do we know what we are eating at home is healthy?! From NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION that is MANDATED. It wasn't always that way. Is it hand-holding to be able to compare two different products or recipes and know what you will putting into your body? I don't understand how you guys see a difference between mandating that companies provide N.I. for groceries, but not once it's at a restaurant. What is the difference?

I have self-control and personal responsiblility. I will choose healthy food when I go out to eat. I just need to know what that is.

It's mandated, but it didn't need to be. You are missing the point. If enough people want and ask for nutrition info, the companies will do it so they don't lose business. This would have happened with food we see in the grocery store on its own. It didn't need to be mandated by gov't for it to happen. Companies do what they can to get people to buy their product, and if that means posting the info then they'll do it. Like I said, if you don't like that a restaurant doesn't have the info readily available, what right is it of yours to make them do it? Nobody is pushing you through those restaurant doors. If you don't like it, don't go. When enough people stop going, the restaurant will say, "hey, how do we attract this type of customer? I know-let's offer some healthier options and post the nutrition info." Viola! The market works!
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Even when a restaurant posts their nutrition info it is pretty inaccurate. Nutrition info is based off of their 'official' recipe, but I have worked in a lot of restaurants over the years and the cooks rarely follow the recipe. A recipe may call for a cup of oil or a cup of cheese, but no one measures they could be adding 2-3 cups.

Cooks also don't measure out what the serving size is according to the recipe. I worked in a Mexican restaurant that 90% of the food that left the kitchen had 1.5 or 2 times the amount of food that the recipe called for. Even if we had given out nutrition info it may have said 700 calories when it would really be 1000-1400 calories.

Fast food restaurants actually have it easier when it comes to posting nutrition because everything is frozen and everything comes out pretty much the same. Anything made from scratch, you really don't know what's going into it no matter what the restaurant says.

Simply put there is no way to actually know what you are getting unless you cook at home.

That's what the fine print is for at the bottom of the menu. Saying that the calories are based off the official recipe, and the calories can fluctuate based on many factors. Haven't you read the bottom of the applebees menu?
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY! Not every problem needs to be fixed by our gov't. If you don't want to be fat, eat at home....and if you eat a meal at a restaurant that is 1000 calories, it's not going to make you fat or kill you. It's when you do that everyday that makes you fat. People need self control and personal responsibility, not hand holding.

How do we know what we are eating at home is healthy?! From NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION that is MANDATED. It wasn't always that way. Is it hand-holding to be able to compare two different products or recipes and know what you will putting into your body? I don't understand how you guys see a difference between mandating that companies provide N.I. for groceries, but not once it's at a restaurant. What is the difference?

I have self-control and personal responsiblility. I will choose healthy food when I go out to eat. I just need to know what that is.

It's mandated, but it didn't need to be. You are missing the point. If enough people want and ask for nutrition info, the companies will do it so they don't lose business. This would have happened with food we see in the grocery store on its own. It didn't need to be mandated by gov't for it to happen. Companies do what they can to get people to buy their product, and if that means posting the info then they'll do it. Like I said, if you don't like that a restaurant doesn't have the info readily available, what right is it of yours to make them do it? Nobody is pushing you through those restaurant doors. If you don't like it, don't go. When enough people stop going, the restaurant will say, "hey, how do we attract this type of customer? I know-let's offer some healthier options and post the nutrition info." Viola! The market works!

I HIGHLY disagree with you there. Companies would not have displayed the information if it wasn't mandated. Are you kidding me?!
  • Lele71
    Lele71 Posts: 76
    Options
    Its our responsiblity to be aware of what we eat. This mindset will lead down a dangerous road.

Suck it up, order a salad, dressing on the side and don't put the responsibility on the corporations.

I disagree that this will lead to a dangerous road. Also corporations should take more responsibility. Also have you seen how many calories there are in some salads? Who wants to go out and eat a plain boring salad? I like the fact that here in New York they have to post the nutritional information that way if I do eat out I can find something to fit into my calories for the day.
  • tracivee
    tracivee Posts: 56 Member
    Options

I HIGHLY disagree with you there. Companies would not have displayed the information if it wasn't mandated. Are you kidding me?!

No, not at all. I think I'm right. McDonald's did it voluntarily as a response to people wanting to know which options were healthier. Many restaurants have the info posted, and not because some elected official told them to do so. I didn't say it would happen overnight, but it would happen eventually. Until then, use common sense. You can taste when something is full of fat and salt. People need to stop blaming their fat on others. Nobody gets fat thinking cheeseburgers are healthy. People don't get fat eating salads...use common sense. Hold the cheese, the dressing, the croutons and you're not gonna get fat. I give people more credit than they give themselves, I think....
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I think it would be nice to have it available upon request, but to mandate that is ridiculous. When you go to a restaurant, you know what is healthy and what is not. I think it's perfectly reasonable to have the info online. Many people have internet on their phone. For those who do not--plan ahead or go with the salad. :)

Agreed.
    On top of that, mom-and-pop places will likely go out of business if forced to change their signage to reflect calories. It's one thing expecting it of big chains, but that's an expense not every business is going to be able to afford especially in this economy.
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! Some coffeeshops do this and it completely changes how I order. Sometimes, you order something you know is calorific, but you trick yourself saying, well it can't be THAT bad...

But seeing the numbers really makes a difference! Eg. Do I really want to spend 635 calories on a extra-large Mocha Caramel Extra Creamy Frap with Full fat Whip? Or is the 90 cal. iced coffee just as good.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Agreed.
    On top of that, mom-and-pop places will likely go out of business if forced to change their signage to reflect calories. It's one thing expecting it of big chains, but that's an expense not every business is going to be able to afford especially in this economy.

Agreed! I live in a small town where we don't have chain restaurants, we only have 'mom and pop' restaurants. None of them have nutrition info available and I never even expect it from any small restaurants. It's up to me whether or not I want to eat out or not .
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I would say if your that paranoid about calories then either stick to restaurants that post calories or eat at home.
    There is also an App for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch called Figwee that can help also.
    Portion sizes at restaurants tend to vary site to site so it's never exact.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

Agreed! I live in a small town where we don't have chain restaurants, we only have 'mom and pop' restaurants. None of them have nutrition info available and I never even expect it from any small restaurants. It's up to me whether or not I want to eat out or not .
    Ding, ding, ding! Exactly!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options

That's what the fine print is for at the bottom of the menu. Saying that the calories are based off the official recipe, and the calories can fluctuate based on many factors. Haven't you read the bottom of the applebees menu?

Nope I haven't read the applebees menu. I live in a town that doesn't have chain restaurants only small 'mom and pop' restaurants.

And the point was that it doesn't matter if a restaurant posts their nutrition info or not. You still aren't going to know the actual nutrition info anyway and the estimate may not even be close.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Having detailed, accurate nutritional information online is all I ask for. I will happily research and plan ahead of time.

As for mom and pop restaurants... The owners can calculate calories by adding up the ingredients. That's not expensive. I don't expect it, but more places should do it :\
  • holli3586
    holli3586 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I use a website WWW.dwlz.com to look up food before we go out to eat.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options

As for mom and pop restaurants... The owners can calculate calories by adding up the ingredients. That's not expensive. I don't expect it, but more places should do it :\

Paying for new signs, new menus, and the like CAN be more expense than some small restaurants may be able to take on. It isn't the calculation itself, but the making of those calculations available.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I look it up on my 3G iPad, because there are often options that are low calorie even if they aren't in the diet section. This is especially true if you you swap out side dishes that are high in carbs or fat and have veggies or salad instead. It's annoying that some chains won't even post the info online.

I don't think the info needs to be directly on the menu (although that would be convenient for me), but it should be available to customers who ask. Sure it will vary based on how it is cooked that night, but at least it gives you a ballpark figure.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

Paying for new signs, new menus, and the like CAN be more expense than some small restaurants may be able to take on. It isn't the calculation itself, but the making of those calculations available.
    As I said, just posting them online will make me happy!