Vitamins/Supplements Do You Take Them? Not Take Them? And Why?

Options
So even if you are eating well balanced meals with lots of fruits and veggies, not saying I do this as often as I should but for the sake of argument lets just say that is the case, are you getting all the vitamins and minerals your body needs to fuction properly. I have a lot of friends who take supplements to help combat this, an insurance to what they may be missing daily from food, and I have heard a lot of arguments that state by taking supplements you are basically making expensive urine. So vitamins/supplements do you take them? Not take them? And Why? Let the conversation/debate begin B)

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I have heard a lot of negative things about vitamins and supplements. I used to take a *kitten* ton, and then narrowed it down to only a multi-vitamin and extra vitamin C. Works for me, I don't usually get sick easily and it helps with a health condition. I also take BCAA's intra-work out and usually supplement with a protein shake daily becase with my commute and work schedule it's hard to get a lot of actual protein in.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Nope, don't take any. I eat a pretty varied diet and have 2x a year blood work that always comes back good, so never felt the need to supplement :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I eat like an unsupervised 6-year-old at a birthday party (usually withing my calorie range). So, very little chance I get all the vitamins and nutrients I need from my diet. So, I take a few different vitamins.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Omega 3, vitamin D and a multi vitamin.
    The Omega 3 is 13 calories :(
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yes, I take them.
    I took iron when it was prescribed by my doctor.
    I take a special multivitamin now that my doctor is prescribing it.
    Both are due to blood work that was done.

I take calcium on my own since I have a dairy allergy. But I still try to have alternatives... just it might not be enough.
    I take vitamin D (and it might be a placebo, not sure) because I live in the North and don't get much sun in winter (also because it helps one absorb calcium).

I don't really take anything just for the heck of it. My uncle for example will take like 10 pills a day. Things including eucalyptus and stuff. No idea how any of that would help him considering he's a health nut.

@MeganAM89 B12 might also contribute to iron overload. B12 is used in the production of ferritin which stores blood iron. It might be worth checking with your doctor on that.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin and fish oil (omegas) daily.

The multivitamin is just easy, cheap insurance. The fish oil, also cheap, is about the only supplement that has really seen much supporting evidence of being worthwhile. However, you have to take 5-10g/day (total, so that includes whatever you eat) to really see much benefit. At 9 cal/g that is 45-90 calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I eat a pretty healthy and varied diet, but I still take a multi vitamin...basically insurance. I also take vitamin D as I am deficient otherwise. I also take krill oil for Omega 3.

I also started taking magnesium at the suggestion of my trainer because I was having so many cramping issues in my hammies and calves...seems to have helped.
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin and probiotic. They're gummies so they're like 35 calories total. Oh the irony.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,020 Member
    Options
    I take monthly vitamin B-12 injections because I have B-12 anemia. I don't take any other vitamins or supplements. I can never remember to take them and I figure I eat a pretty well balanced diet so I don't worry about it. I have a reminder on my phone for the B-12, although if I go too long without it I can tell by my energy level that I need it.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I do not take them when I'm not losing weight, because I think my diet is sufficiently varied, and there is precious little evidence to show that they are helpful in a healthy adult.

But I'm currently losing at a rate of 700g+ per week. That implies a deficit of ~800 cals from my TDEE, which is about a third, so I think there is every chance that I am not getting enough of some vitamins, though others may be fine, as my diet is still very varied.

So, I am taking an Omega-3 fish oil 1000mg and an A-Z multivitamin each day.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Doctor prescribed: multi, iron, vitamin d, Bs, calcium/magnesium/zinc, vitamin c (with iron and calcium which are not taken together). The multi is a catch-all, vitamin D-iron-Bs because my blood work comes up short, cal/mag/zinc supplement because I'm on anti-acids for an ulcer and most acid reducers leech calcium (the ones I take do).

Doctor recommended: Glucosamine/Chondroitan/MSM, fish oil, potassium (there's been new research that blood pressure may not be due to high sodium, but low potassium and with my family's history I'm on a low dose. Very controversial research, but interesting).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommends Vitamin D in the winter, and I do that. Used to do fish oil, but I eat a lot of fatty fish, so stopped. Nothing else, but I try to have a varied diet with some fruit and lots of vegetables.
  • fjpetruccelli
    fjpetruccelli Posts: 46 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @CSARdiver that article was an interesting read since Centrum Adult is the multivitamin I take when I do take one. Do you know if some of the same claims also apply to other brands of Multi Vitamins?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Not regularly.
    Because they are expensive and I forget to take them anyway.
    I'm not against them.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    @CSARdiver that article was an interesting read since Centrum Adult is the multivitamin I take when I one. Do you know if some of the same claims also apply to other brands of Multi Vitamins?

Alex is picking on Centrum as it is a well known target, but the principle would be the same with all brands. If you are eating a well-balanced diet there is no need for supplementation, barring some medical issue. I take Omega 3 as this has some evidence behind it.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I take Magnesium, Biotin, Flaxseed, Zinc, Vitamin C, Probiotic at the moment. I was taking a multivitamin and Calcium chews, not taking those two at the moment, because I am following a Keto eating plan with 20 grams or less of carbs and those have too many carbs to waste on a non food item. The others I still take mainly to help battle lyme disease and psoriasis
  • therealdanscottmfp
    Options
    In the beginning of my journey 3 years ago I didn't take any supps or vitamins at all. Around the 2nd year mark I started taking many different supplements and vitamins. Now the only supplements and vitamins I take are my preworkout, whey isolate protein powder for my post workout shake, a multivitamin and fish oil tablet.
    The majority of the best nutrition you'll ever get or need for that matter is in the food you consume.