waist trainer

Options
have you ever tried waist trainer?

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    As in the corset? Well other than compressing your abdomen and restricting your breathing, it won't do anything for you. I get the feeling it's to give the illusion of being thinner, but what happens when it's time for an intimate moment and it has to be taken off and the truth gets out, I imagine it'd be similar to a man trying to give the impression that he's got a bit more than "going" for him, but we all know that can't end well. Sorry if I'm completely off the mark, but if you're looking to appear slimmer. Eat at a caloric deficit and practice stomach vaccums
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    There are hundreds of threads on here about them. The conclusion is always that they don't have any permanent effects and have no benefit towards fat loss.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Corset or one of those stupid latex things that the Kardashians wear? While jessef593 is wrong about them restricting your breathing, neither is going to help you in your fitness or weightloss journey. Real, expensive boned corsets can help create an hourglass shape through daily wear, but it's not practical in most cases. The latex things do nothing and are a massive waste of money. Both can compromise your core muscles by giving support that your muscles normally give you.

In short. Don't bother.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    No don't do it.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    With certain dresses I do- just to flatten out my tummy and make it look better- but for a permanent solution? No, they don't do anything long run. If they did, the Victorian women wouldn't have had the wear them their whole lives!
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    With certain dresses I do- just to flatten out my tummy and make it look better- but for a permanent solution? No, they don't do anything long run. If they did, the Victorian women wouldn't have had the wear them their whole lives!

Victorian women actually wore them for support since the modern bra hadn't been invented yet and also to help distribute the weight of their other clothing.

I'm wearing an actual steel boned corset in my profile picture. I'm also wearing an 1870's dress, 3 petticoats, and all of the other correct undergarments. As soon as I went home and took the corset off everything went right back to where it was before I put the corset on. So, if you're looking for something to smooth out bulges for an evening a corset could do that but it isn't going to be a magic fix.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    have you ever tried waist trainer?

They don't train your waist - if anything they untrain it as by providing that compression it is less necessary for you to engage your core

They do give a shape - like Spanx or support pants

They do make you sweat more - so you may lose excess water - but have a glass of water and that's gone

So overall no - they are ridiculous

hope that helps
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Misssynth wrote: »
    Corset or one of those stupid latex things that the Kardashians wear? While jessef593 is wrong about them restricting your breathing, neither is going to help you in your fitness or weightloss journey. Real, expensive boned corsets can help create an hourglass shape through daily wear, but it's not practical in most cases. The latex things do nothing and are a massive waste of money. Both can compromise your core muscles by giving support that your muscles normally give you.

In short. Don't bother.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't your diaphragm be covered by it? Also, if it's done up tightly enough it will cause some breathing restrictions, how long do you think you could run with one on compared to without

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

In short. Don't bother.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't your diaphragm be covered by it? Also, if it's done up tightly enough it will cause some breathing restrictions, how long do you think you could run with one on compared to without

I agree. I have worn steel-boned corsets for Civil War reenactments and can guarantee that if tight enough, they affect your breathing. My cousin actually passed out due to her's, so...

Hasn't anyone seen Pirates of the Caribbean? Haha.

OP, as others have said, waist training is pointless. And even true waist training with corsets can rearrange organs down the road and cause some real health problems.

• topfindyourfine
    topfindyourfine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everybody who responded. It's been making a fuss with my friends lately so it made me curious.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I have.. My friends made a big splash about it and dared me to try it.. I hated the 7 days I wore it..

- it works as a support thingy so you don't have to use your core. Therefor your core will weaken and your tummy won't be flat and you won't get abs
    - it actual made my waist bigger.. My measurements are 35-25-34.. One week after I began using it my waist had gained almost 2 inches.. Thank God it didn't last and I'm back to my small waist.
    - you can't breath properly wile exercising
    - it's uncomfortable
    - if it works for you and your waist gets smaller, it won't last so it's totally not worth it

It's so totally not worth the money and is just a marketing trick.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »

In short. Don't bother.

I agree. I have worn steel-boned corsets for Civil War reenactments and can guarantee that if tight enough, they affect your breathing. My cousin actually passed out due to her's, so...

OP, as others have said, waist training is pointless. And even true waist training with corsets can rearrange organs down the road and cause some real health problems.

If they're tight enough to do that you're waist training wrong. You're supposed to tight lace very very slowly, and wear in your corset (called seasoning) so it molds to the shape of your body. If you put on a non seasoned corset (or someone elses) it's not formed to your body shape. A good corset will be wide enough for ribs and hips but be able to be tightened in the middle more than those areas. It should never be compressing your ribs.
  • topfindyourfine
    topfindyourfine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »

In short. Don't bother.

If they're tight enough to do that you're waist training wrong. You're supposed to tight lace very very slowly, and wear in your corset (called seasoning) so it molds to the shape of your body. If you put on a non seasoned corset (or someone elses) it's not formed to your body shape. A good corset will be wide enough for ribs and hips but be able to be tightened in the middle more than those areas. It should never be compressing your ribs.

i'm really curious about it, thats why I asked, though if there are cheap ones out there, I really wanna try. :#
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    A cheap "corset" will do nothing for you except bend and mold to your curves and poke you. It won't provide even a tiny bit of support for your boobs or compression for your waist. I know from experience. If you're looking for something to smooth out bulges under certain clothing you're better off just buying Spanx or something similar.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I tried waist training when I was younger (and uneducated)
    It did absolutely nothing.
    Save your money and go get a pedicure instead.