Stuck on a weight

Options
Hello everyone!

I first started using MyFitnessPal back in 2011, and by the next year, I had lost almost 40lbs! 4 (almost 5 years later) and I am still at the same weight... I have been satisfied staying at the weight that I achieved, but recently I have tried exercising more and I have been really good about staying around my calorie goal, but my weight hasn't gone anywhere!!! I have written down the weights that MyFitnessPal gives me at the end of each day, the ones that say "If everyday were like today, you'd weigh..." and used those numbers to calculate how much I should weigh each week. For the past two weeks I have not weighed what I should have and I am wondering why I can't lose weight! For example, according to MyFitnessPal (and yes I am very honest with my food diary!) I should have lost 1 lb, but when I did my weigh in I only lost 0.3 lbs!!! I have heard that when you hit a "stuck weight" you should exercise more, but I have been doing exactly that. I have been doing a better job of not going over my calories lately too.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why I am not losing? I know it's the holidays, but I have really been watching myself! I don't get why the scale is not saying what it should..

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
-Hannah

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!

It has only been 2 weeks ago, and you HAVE lost weight, so you haven't stalled. The "If everyday was like today" think is crap...I don't believe it since one would have to eat exactly like that day, but even then there are too may variables at play.

Weight loss isn't linear. One will never lose the 1lb per week they should. I often stall for 3-4 weeks then catch up with a woosh loss of 3-4lbs. A plateau is 6 weeks or more. There are many things that can mask weight loss (and cause fluid retention) such as a high sodium meal, hormones (TOM and other hormonal changes), excess carbs (doesn't affect everyone, though), starting or increasing exercise, constipation, dehydration, certain medication.

Do you use cups/spoons, eyeball/guess portions or use a food scale? When was the last time you replaced the batteries in your bathroom and kitchen scales?

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You started exercising recently so your muscles will be retaining water. If you honestly were in a calorie deficit then you have the lost the weight but the scales haven't caught up yet due to water etc.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    What weight are you at now? Are you close to your goal or do you have a lot more to go? That will make a big difference in what you should do next. Also, how many calories are you eating? We really need a bit more information to help you out correctly