How in the heck do you accentuate a circle???

Options
So, i went out with some friends last night, and I'm in a weird spot with clothes right now. A size down is too smal, but what I'm wearing is too big. (weird)

So I was asking my friend about the outfit, and he said "nothing accentuates you"

My question is.... how in the hell do you accentuate a circle?? I'm apple shaped (ugh), and I've lost any shape that might be under my flab. boo.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• AnnaValek
    AnnaValek Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Work with layers?

Tank tops with open button downs and skirts?
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    waist belts! and empire waists. if you don't have a waist, fake it! :D
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    You've got to make the illusion that you have a shape. Add a belt to tops or dresses that are too baggy.
    Also, something that I learned is jewelry makes a persone look taller/slimmer. Long necklaces give a lengthening illusion.
    I'm sure you have more shape than you think! lol We are our worst critics!

If it's in your budget, see if you can get some of your too big clothes taken in to fit better. The "in between" stage is the worst. I am in between sizes at the moment so I have to choose between saggy butt pants or the muffin top. :noway:
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I just googled "flattering clothes for apple shaped women". Here is one of many links available.

http://www.shapeyourstyle.com/apple.php

Hope this helps! =)
  • michbaden
    michbaden Posts: 31
    Options
    How about an empire line or open neck top/dress to accentuate your chest instead of other areas?
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    There are lots of web sites dealing with this issue. I just googled " how to dress an apple body type" Most suggest tunics, lower cut tops, skirts above the knee, great shoes and a great bra. I then clicked on images to get some ideas of how things should look. Layers were also another option. There is a the accessorizing of adding a belt to create a waistline as well as adding necklaces to draw the eye up. I would say the ideas are not much different than what 1/2 of the young women are wearing today: A bit shorter skirt, flowy tops, and a lower cut or strappy neckline. Good luck, you will be fabulous.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    First of all; you need some new friends to take shopping with you!! Good grief; that one deserves a kick in the goody bag. You have lost 17 lbs; that's an amazing accomplishment right there!!

Focus on your best assets and play them up...do you have beautiful eyes? Flawless skin? Amazingly thick, voluminous, shiny hair? Work those girlfriend!!

Get yourself a fabulous pair of shoes...I love great shoes, they can make an outfit!

How about some stunning jewelry? Plenty of cheap, costume necklaces available that will draw the eye up towards your cleavage (always an area to accentuate LOL) or pretty face.

If you're apple shaped right now, look for some of the great tops that are A-line or are a little "poofier" and have an elasticized waist...they're pretty popular right now. If you have great shoulders, you could even go sleeveless...play with different necklines as well! Also, "Apples" usually have GREAT legs (insert envy here), so how about a few skirts?

A great lightweight jacket with a tapered back will flatter any figure.

And of course, carry yourself with pride! A great attitude and some self confidence go a long way in projecting a positive image to others :)
  • hsquared87
    hsquared87 Posts: 73
    Options
    I found that the tops that have the bands on the bottom sit the nicest they tend to be a little flowy. I think they are called blouson tops. I even have a swim suit like this and it makes me feel so pretty.
  • hsquared87
    hsquared87 Posts: 73
    Options
    http://www.shabbyapple.com/t-FitToFlatter.aspx

The above clothing website has clothing by body type.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I was an apple shape too and I wore v-necks to accetuate my breasts, empire waists to make it look like I had a waist and wide leg pants to balance my skinny legs.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    For a rounder shape I find a high waisted, above knee length skirt with a belt over a tank top or low necked shirt works wonders... With a cropped jacket or cardigan if you don't like showing your arms. :)