Pizza Fail!

Options
jomariewill
jomariewill Posts: 35 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I ate really well and lost 26 pounds in around 35 days. I know it seems like a lot, but that's 1600 a day plus exercise....anyway.....I haven't had pizza in a month so we decided to have some for dinner. I had 2 slices and felt satisfied. I still finished my day under my calorie goal. I remember when I would eat 5. Skip to now. It's 4:20AM and I have been up the last 2 hours throwing up tomato sauce, dying of stomach cramps and burping up what tastes like sulfur. Apparently my stomach can no longer handle grease like that after such a clean diet. I also never want pizza again. I can't even think about it. Anyone else had something like this happen? I actually thought it maybe food poisoning but seems unlikely since my son and fiancé both at 3 slices of the same pizza and are sleeping like babies.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Get checked for gallstones if it happens again :'(
  • jomariewill
    Options

Gallstones?!?!? Would one bad meal do that?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I don't know about gallstones, but i had a pretty similar reaction to greasy and/or high fat and high acidity foods after eating "clean" foods for a few months. I pretty much went vegan a few years back along with my sister cutting out dairy, and "trigger" foods for my rosacea like tomatoes, coffee, chocolate, alcohol. The moment I had a spaghetti dinner with eggplant parmesan?

A pretty damn similar reaction.

Of course i'm now also lactose intolerant so that could have played a role as well.

In any case, try to take the greasy/high fat foods and very acidic foods to a minimum if you have reactions like this. You may take some time to adapt to eating these foods again.
  • jomariewill
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I can tell you right now that this is going to leave a permanent scar on my brain. I don't ever want greasy food again! Probably for the best haha. I can laugh because I have a heating pad on my stomach.
  • jomariewill
    Options

Gallstones?!?!? Would one bad meal do that?

There's nothing "bad" with your meal. Gallstones build up over time, several factors contributing, genetics is one, dehydration is another, low fat intake over time is a big one. Bile is used in digestion of fat, and the gallbladder releases bile when needed. When not needed, it can build up and form stones. Then a high fat meal prompts the gallbladder to release bile, and oops - the exit is blocked by stones. Pain, excruciating, follows.

Thanks I will do some research!
  • iris2811
    iris2811 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I eat quite a low fat diet (its portion control with me), every time I go and stay at my mums who cooks with butter and plenty of oil my stomach plays up. wind, squirts the lot, by the end of two weeks there I have adjusted to it. Same thing with things like fish and chips - i know full well if i want to indulge there will be a price to pay, so it's rare i do. I know not as bad a reaction as yours but fat can certainly upset a digestive system that is not used to it
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    When I first moved to New York I stopped eating greasy foods. Then they would make me a bit sick if I did. Since then, I've added them back and feel fine-in fact, even GOOD when I get some extra fat.
  • jomariewill
    Options
    This does not sound at all like a normal reaction to an unusually rich meal. Worst I've ever had is mild to moderate cramps and a touch of the runs. Vomiting in particular is a bad sign and makes me think food poisoning or stomach virus rather than a normal reaction.

I would say that if you have really had a big enough deficit to lose 26lb in 35 days, you are crash dieting and may not be in the best of health, making you more vulnerable to infections. I recommend reducing your deficit and slowing your weight loss down.

Pizza is not "bad" and there is no need to avoid it. I know you feel like that right now, but that is just an instinctive reaction to throwing up after eating something - it is not a reliable guide to what actually caused the vomiting.

I would agree with this. 26lbs in 35 days is a lot, even accounting for water weight. Do you have a lot of weight to lose?

This, as well as the original comment are the reason why I'm not going to participate in this community any further. My post was not written for me to be insulted by my weight loss. I eat 1600 cal a day plus. I take 2 mile walks sometimes and I do aerobics sometimes. I eat three medium sized meals a day and two snacks. I drink about five bottles of water. Does any of that sound unhealthy to you? Does the fact that I ate pizza with in my calorie goal sound unhealthy? This app is meant to be supportive not judgmental. I am not sorry that by following the suggestions on this app I am losing more weight than suggested. Please feel free to no longer comment.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    If you haven't had a lot of fat that may be the problem but it seems a bit extreme for pizza. but it could be a gallbladder problem. Mine happened after eating stir fry. Pain right below breast bone and over my bellybutton, dizzy, throwing up. Most anytime I ate something fatty.
    Also once I ate spinach and mushroom pizza and that night I got the flu and I still have not been able to eat that kind of pizza and it has been 9 years.