Favorite Soup

What are your favorite "go-to" healthy soups? Looking for tasty, quick, easy, and healthy soups (store bought or homemade)...

Thanks!

Replies

• PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    I like Amy's brand soups. I'm not sure where you live, but many grocery stores in the US sell them. Amazon sells them, too. Here's an Amazon link if you would like to read about them. My favorite is the lentil vegetable. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=amy's+soups
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    All we usually buy are Progresso soups and bean soup mixes. They're reasonably high quality and decent tasting, but other than getting the low sodium version, we don't base purchases on whether they're healthy(ier) or not...

I think I'd say my wife's 12 bean soup is the best though. She doctors her own spices into it, good stuff.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    My daughter's soup from a rotisserie chicken.

http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-barley-soup-227889
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Canned: Campbell's chicken noodle and cream of mushroom or Progresso split pea and lentil.

Homemade: Lentil/kake and butternut squash, cauliflower or any other soup that can be made by sauteeing onions and boiling a veggie that can be pureed and blended in the same pot.
  • VeganFaceHole
    VeganFaceHole Posts: 39 Member
    Miso soup!
    You can buy a big tub of miso paste at the store
    And then add one tablespoon of it into boiling water!
    Then add some soysauce, fish sauce and sugar and VOILA
    yummy miso soup.
    (I add veggies in it)
  • JBella0125
    JBella0125 Posts: 18 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My daughter's soup from a rotisserie chicken.

http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-barley-soup-227889

This looks amazing!! I must try!!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Don't know how you're defining 'healthy' but I love Progresso Light soups-especially the Chicken and Cheese Enchilada one. I eat this every week and make the whole can and then add hot sauce, shredded co-jack and crushed tortilla chips. Sooo good! Whole thing comes in under 400 calories and is pretty filling :) Only takes a couple minutes to prep too.

https://www.progresso.com/product/light-chicken-cheese-enchilada/?category=light
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    I made THE BEST black bean and vegetable soup last night. It was sooooo easy, really good, and SUPER healthy. I'm on a high-protein diet so I added an extra can of beans.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12999/black-bean-vegetable-soup/?internalSource=hub recipe&referringContentType=search results&clickId=cardslot 2
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    I make a low carb/low fat Buffalo Chicken Soup and I LOVE it. Ugh. Made some today for lunch! So good and so easy...

Well, you just can't leave this out there without a recipe. LOL Buffalo chicken is my fave!
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    I am not fond of any of the canned soups anymore. If I am feeling soup, I either make some or I go to Pho-Le for their amazing chicken pho. It's my most favorite soup - hands down.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    I make a split pea crockpot soup that is delish and it's so easy. The recipe is from one of those checkout line booklets that I bought years ago:

7 cups water
    1 package (16 ounces) dried split peas (2 1/4 cups), sorted and rinsed
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices (1 1/2 cups)
    2 medium stalks celery, finely chopped (1 cup)
    1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
    1 ham bone, 2 pounds ham shanks or 2 pounds smoked pork hocks

Directions
    1. Mix all ingredients except ham in 4- to 5-quart slow cooker. Add ham.
    2. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours or until peas are tender.
    3. Remove ham from cooker; place on cutting board. Pull meat from bones, using 2 forks; discard bones and skin. Stir ham into soup. Stir well before serving.

Obvs, you can play fast and loose with the measurements. I like to serve this with some homemade pumpernickel bread. Noms.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    I made a pot of this chunky sweet potato and fennel soup, and am finishing up the pot today with lunch. It's fantastic - not too sweet, hearty, savory. I made it with a can of Progresso vegetable broth which is probably the best store-bought vegetable broth I've used. The posters in the thread who say it's bland don't know what they're talking about -- or they don't have a palate.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chunky-sweet-potato-soup-239215
  • NoNameJustMe
    NoNameJustMe Posts: 86 Member
    I can't stand canned soup. Homemade split pea and New England clam chowder are my two go-to favorites.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,125 Member
    This is my family favorite:

GRANDPA RV’S GREAT NORTHERN BEAN SOUP

Ingredients:

• 1 pound Great Northern beans
    • 1 large diced onion
    • 2 sliced celery stalks
    • 3 sliced carrots
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 6 T McKay’s vegan chix powder (this brand is not strong flavored or salty – you might need less, depending on your brand)
    • 1 T liquid Hickory smoke
    • Salt & Pepper to taste (when serving)

Directions:

Soak the Great Northern beans overnight, rinse them, then put in a 4-qt slow cooker.

Add the remaining ingredients. Heat water in a tea kettle on the stove and pour it over everything, filling to the top of the cooker.

Set it on low for about 9 hours.

Salt & Pepper to taste.

My grandpa grew up very poor in Arkansas (he was born in 1908), so they had beans a lot. This soup is the only meal I ever saw my grandfather make – because it was his favorite from childhood and evoked memories of his family. He used ham in his soup, so since I’m vegan, I use liquid Hickory smoke to achieve the smokiness without the meat. If you want it like how he made it back then, dice a ham steak and add it to the crock pot (including the bone).
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Canned: Campbell's chicken noodle and cream of mushroom or Progresso split pea and lentil.

Homemade: Lentil/kale and butternut squash, cauliflower or any other soup that can be made by sauteeing onions and boiling a veggie that can be pureed and blended in the same pot.

Oh, forgot to mention, Progresso white clam chowder and, of course, dried ramen. Can't count the number of ramen "meals" I've had in the past after just adding some protein and veggies to the pot. ;)

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I find the Progresso soups so disappointing. I like the Amy's tomato bisque, and the spanish rice and red bean (the latter is a meal soup, very filling). I home make too, a broth soup with chicken breast, carrot, celery and onion, comes out at about 110 cals a cup so you can have two and something on the side without going crazy. Lentil soup is also the best for a full on meal soup, I make it in my pressure cooker, probably 200ish a serving depending if I add meat or whatever.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Not a fan of canned soups, but I make a lot of homemade soups and stews though...I can't really think of one that is "unhealthy"...

I made a Spanish lentil and chorizo sausage stew last week which was pretty awesome. Another one we've been making a lot this winter is a chicken and orzo with lemon...I just use a rotisserie chicken. I make a lot though...no real "go to"...

• KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=395530

I think this is interchangeable with whatever veggies you want. Currently making some and the last batch was pretty good with extra chicken broth and no v8