Painful heels

Options
Hi All,

Ever since I did the Jilian Michaels 30 day shred, my heels are killing me, especially the right one. No physician is giving me anything but asking me to rest and put my feet up or put them in hot water. It's getting painful to walk.
Any suggestions? I had visited an orthopedist a few months back for the same issue, he took an x-ray and prescribed some calcium tablet. The problem hasn't gone away though.
Sorry to use you as physicians, but I am not sure which doctor I should be visiting. They all seem to not take me seriously. :(

Thanks all,
Sayali.

Replies

• dtb2greenville
    dtb2greenville Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Does anything you do relive the pain such as stretching the calf muscles? Was it a sudden onset of pain or over time did the pain get worse? Was your visit to the ortho before your 30 day program fro the same issue?

This is a puzzle you have to put all the pieces together to get a clear picture. There can be lots of trial and error of different treatments but if you do some research you should stumble across something.

I have suffered with many ailments and have always come across a cure all without drugs or doctors, just asking questions here will help.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you've got inflammation or irritation, which I suspect, ice would be better than heat. Also massage the heel and lower leg area. Things get irritated from time to time and it just takes time (weeks or months) to resolve. I would suggest a podiatrist if you still have concerns.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Painful to walk first thing and then does it get better once you've "warmed up?"

If so, it could be plantar fasciitis.
  • hellosay
    hellosay Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It pains when I walk and is worse in the morning. If it's plantar fasciitis, do i need a podiatrist as orthos are no help. No podiatrists around me, need to visit out of town, if so.
  • Meticulous_Nails
    Meticulous_Nails Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Do you have enough support in your shoes as well? try rolling your feet after workouts .. and if you have old sneakers.. replace them with new ones that provide gel support. This helps my Plantar Fasciitis
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    @hellosay if it is plantar fasciitis you can do a few things get inserts for plantar fasciitis (I got mine at walmart) and wear them with everything. Avoid flats or flipflops. get a tennis ball and roll from heal to toes. freeze water bottles and roll under feet like the tennis ball. If you can wear a slight heal that will also help. Also extrem you can get a plantar fasciitis sock to wear to bed. It took several months for mine to go away doing all these things.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Definitely try some good inserts with arch support, in case it is plantar fasciitis. Superfeet are good and can be purchased at any running-shoe store, and most shoe stores generally.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    hellosay wrote: »
    I had visited an orthopedist a few months back for the same issue

What was their diagnosis?

For plantar fasciitis, stretch the plantar fascia and arches hourly. Both stretches are on Youtube.

Wear arch supports only for activities that hurt.. otherwise they will weaken the foot's own support system. :+1:
  • schwest76
    schwest76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've had plantar facitiis off and on. I found stretching ALOT really helps. Sit on the floor with your legs straight out, wrap a hand towel or long sock around the balls of your foot and then gently pull...you should feel the stretch in your calf and foot. Do that several times a day and it should help. Also, invest in good slippers for around the house and inserts for the shoes. Good luck!
  • hellosay
    Options
    Thanks ladies, i have gel inserts and an sleeve kind of support. I guess i have also beenwearing flats sans gel inserts causing the problem to exacerbate. I will def do the stretching exercises you recommended.
    Thanks for the help,
    Sayali.
  • hellosay
    Options
    For anyone stumbling upon this thread, maybe doing these two things will help as they have helped me:
    1. I bought cushioned arch supports. I wear them everyday, even at home in bed so I don't step out without them at morning.
    2. I started cod liver oil capsules 1-1.

The pain isn't all gone, but I can say it's much better.