NSV...PCOS and all...

petithamu
petithamu Posts: 582 Member
So last year this time I was diagnosed with PCOS. My doctor told me it will be very difficult for me to get pregnant. Not just with me but my boyfriend has hypertension so the combo made it even more difficult. I was also 25lbs overweight at the time and I stopped having menstrual cycles.

Since December 2010 I started on MFP and I lost 25lbs and for the first in the last 18 months, I was regular since January.

My NSV? I'm pregnant! Oh my god I'm still in a state of shock. I took 3 tests and all came out positive. I even took one of those digital thingie that tells me how far along I am and it says at least 5 weeks.

If I didn't find MFP and started working out and losing the weight, I would still be 'missing' my period...this is the best NSV ever...

Now here's a slight 'mental dilemma' I'm facing...after the initial joy...I started panicking about gaining weight. I know I will gain weight but I'm worried about gaining too much weight. I don't want to gain weight on my face/arms/butt/legs...is it possible to just gain weight in the chest and tummy area? Can I still work out ie. spin, run, strength train?

Anyway, I'm not going to starve myself and pull a Victoria Beckam or anything but I also don't want to gain like 50lbs cuz at 5'2, I think my knees will collapse with that much weight on it...not to mention my sciatica...

So calling all 'experienced' mamas, any tips on exercising/weight control during pregnancy?

Thanks in advance!

Tiffany

Replies

• scante60
    scante60 Posts: 106 Member
    Wow!!! Congratulations on the happy news!!!! Wishing you all the best in the next nine months, and for your new family to come!

Not a mama myself, so I can't comment on that, but just go with your doctor's recommendations, and stay happy!
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Wow! I am so happy for you! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    First CONGRAT!!!! This is wonderfull news.

Second, I gave birth to 6 babies and gained from 40 pounds (My first ekkkkkk on my 4'11'' frame) to 15 pounds (my 3rd and 4th)

Talk nutrition and exercice with your doctor. I know that for me, anything more than taking a walk was hard to do.

Eat good clean food and really, the baby does not want ice cream and chocolat ;) Moderation is the key
  • Emily4H
    Emily4H Posts: 170
    Congrats - thats awesome! Best NSV ever!!!!
  • ohiogirl30
    ohiogirl30 Posts: 141 Member
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yayaaaay Congrats to you!!!:flowerforyou:
  • aslm
    aslm Posts: 71
    That has to be the best NSV ever!! Congrats. I know how hard it can be with PCOS...
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    first CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! woohoo!!!....ok now, you can still work out if its ok with your Dr......I would ask him/her that you was losing weight but with the good news of being pregnant you want to know the most healthiest way to keep a good pregnancy weight.......and ask him/her about your working out.....I did and everything was fine and I did gain 20lbs....but with my first child I was 115lbs and got all the way up to 180...but that was just me being lazy and basically not doing anything......Alot still use MFP while pregnant to keep count of what they are putting into their body & baby's.....
  • trishtrish84
    trishtrish84 Posts: 237 Member
    This is big news! Congrats!
    I have never been pregnant so I can not comment on your question but....
    I think that you should talk to your doctor about this.
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    I actually lost weight with both my pregnancies. Healthy weight. I was over weight and when I got pregnant I ate better then ever before and tried to walk everday. The endurance helped with labour and the healthy eating helped maintain the baby.

CONGRATS!! Enjoy!!
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Thank you guys! I will definitely speak to my doc about this. Wait till my trainer hears the news...she is going to flip!
  • dstsur5or
    dstsur5or Posts: 30 Member
    First thing is CONGRATS! Second, I totally understand your predicament. I have PCOS and at 184lbs (7years ago) my doctor explained my options of fertility to me due to the complications. Taking matters into my own hands I lost 43lbs and finally for the first time in my life had a regular cycle. Within two month of that I was pregnant!

During my pregnancy I did low moderate exercises like water aerobics, yoga, and the elliptical machine. I still gained 60lbs but due to my exercise and vitamins it all came off within months after having my son. So just continue to get some type of exercise and talk with your doctor with about any other changes you can make.
  • JodyWoo
    JodyWoo Posts: 44 Member
    That is so unbelievably exciting! I'm so happy for you! Can't wait to see updates about how the pregnancy goes.

I had a close family friend who was overweight recently have a baby... she actually lost 18lbs BEFORE giving birth... she's really happy about her huge loss now. It's from taking care of herself (yes, the doctor said she was doing great!)
  • cjwalker81
    cjwalker81 Posts: 189 Member
    Congrats!!!

Usually you can continue most exercise activities your body is already used to doing! I am hoping loosing weight will help with my IR and PCOS and I'll get pg!! We've been trying for #2 for 3 years!
  • supernerdywife
    supernerdywife Posts: 8 Member
    Congrats to you! I know how hard it is with PCOS to get pregnant, so thats a victory m'dear!!!

Contact your OB or your PCM if you don't have an OB yet and talk to them about possibly referring you to a nutritionist, and if you are in a gym a person trainer and come up with pregnancy safe work outs! Always keep your doctors in the loop!

Good luck!!!
  • Congrats!

I lost weight during the first half of my pregnancy. I was working all the time and with teaching second grade I was constantly walking around, squatting, and moving from sitting on the floor to doing outside activities with my little ones. I lost 7lbs the first three months and then gained that back and another 7lbs. My advice would be to stay active. Don't push yourself too far and eat well. I craved nothing but fruit and cheese popcorn. So eat what you crave but in small amounts. :wink:

My sister has PCOS and has a 4 year-old. She has been trying for three years to have another baby and after three miscarriages she is pregnant with twins.

Congrats again!!!!

Alicia
  • shellgoff
    shellgoff Posts: 189 Member
    First of all CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

I too have PCOS and let it rule my life for far too long! I had to do IVF to conceive my son and had to do 6 rounds of IVF to try to conceive another child! They all failed and Im left with 1 miracle child! I now have my PCOS under control with diet and exercise and it feels so good!

You def need to talk to your dr about exercising and how much you can do. But there really is no reason why you have to gain 50 pounds! Yes, youwill need to gain some...but it can be reasonable 25-30lbs. Eat healthy and stay active! And rememeber...it will come off after too! Its only temporary and its for an AWESOME reason!

Congratulations again and enjoy your pregnancy to the fullest! Being pregnant was one of the best experiences in my life!
  • Congratulations!!! I also have PCOS and was able to get pregnant a couple of years ago without losing weight and taking Clomid. During my pregnancy I only gained 20 lbs but it all came off after having my baby. I am now trying to conceive again but I'm having a hard time and this time I'm determined to lose weight and not have to take fertility drugs Im hoping this will be the missing piece so I can get preggers again!
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Congratulations!

Your best bet is to talk to your doctor. As for the weight gain - you will likely gain all over body, some of it will be water retention, and most likely toward end of pregnancy. Eat healthy and ask your doctor about exercising, as long as you stay in shape and continue after having your baby, it shouldn't be hard to lose the weight after.

Again, congratulations!
  • MidniteDayDream
    MidniteDayDream Posts: 142 Member
    I just had the same NSV a couple of days ago!!! I completely understand what you are going through worrying about weight gain and being so shocked. I was unable to get pregnant for years and suddenly, I'm 5 weeks along! I have changed my settings from losing 2 lbs a week to losing 1/2 lbs a week. I still go on my walks tough, just no more gym for me (after conferring with my doctor we concluded that this was best for me since I have a history of miscarriage). Congrats on the NSV!!!!!
  • fitmomma23
    fitmomma23 Posts: 94 Member
    Wow that is SO awesome. Congratulations! You will LOVE being a Mommy. Best thing ever. So excited for you and your family!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!