Weight vest and running.

Options
Do you guys adhere to the 10% body weight rule or 5% rule when it comes to the amount of weight you should be using for the vest? Any issues with your ankles or knees?

Next question might be for the ladies... How do you run comfortably with the vest when your bust is not small, but your waist is, do I just fasten it for dear life?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I've always considered running to be a body weight exercise. Weights are for the gym and lifting.
  • concavenotconvex
    concavenotconvex Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't disagree, this will sound so vain...but my legs are looking extra thin from running so I wanted the vest to add a little bulk to them. I don't go to the gym due to time constraints, but I never miss a run since it's how I relax. Figured adding a vest would be killing two birds with one stone.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    That's not really going to give you the results you are looking for. You would be better off doing strength exercises for your legs. It will both add size(if done properly and in a calorie surplus) and make you less prone to injury from running. There are a lot of good exercises that can be done without having to spend extra time at the gym. Split squats, bulgarian split squats, shrimp squats, pistol squats, high step ups, cossack squat variants, etc etc
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Here's an interesting take on it......
    With a weighted jacket, you will be greatly increasing the landing force. Make sure your ankles, feet, and knees are in good shape. If you can bench and squat your full body weight; and preferably more, then you probably should have enough strength to carry the extra weight.

runnersworld.com/ask-the-coaches/ask-the-coaches-training-with-weighted-vest

I think Rybo has the right idea suggesting that you work on strength in the gym.
  • concavenotconvex
    Options
    There are so many variations of squats I've never heard about. They're worth a shot.

Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate it; as do my ankles.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I don't disagree, this will sound so vain...but my legs are looking extra thin from running so I wanted the vest to add a little bulk to them. I don't go to the gym due to time constraints, but I never miss a run since it's how I relax. Figured adding a vest would be killing two birds with one stone.

A suggestion: http://www.furman.edu/sites/first/Documents/16_oct2324.pdf

Not much of an added time investment. You would be better served with a set of adjustable dumbbells. I like the PowerBlocks
  • concavenotconvex
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

A suggestion: http://www.furman.edu/sites/first/Documents/16_oct2324.pdf

Not much of an added time investment. You would be better served with a set of adjustable dumbbells. I like the PowerBlocks

Thank you for the PDF, it was great.