New here...Looking for vegeterian recipes!

Options
azgirl97
azgirl97 Posts: 1 Member
Hi there. I'm pretty new and have been looking at my food logs and noticed that I eat a lot of carbs and not enough protein. I prefer to not eat meat and I am just wondering if anyone has any tasty, protein packed vegetarian or vegan recipes. :) Thank you

Replies

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    look on youtube there are tons of recipes there. happy hunting
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    One of my recent favorites:

Spicy Chicken Boca Salad

Lettuce of your choice
    Spicy Chicken Boca Grilled and chopped
    Tomato
    Red onion
    1 oz shredded Cheese
    Bolthouse classic ranch
    1/4 avocado or Wholly Guacamole to taste
    Sprinkling of flax seeds

It's around 500 calories so if you need to lower it you can leave off Avocado, cheese and or flax seeds

I also like a lot of the Gardin veggie meats which you can easily adapt just about any regular recipe using these "meats".

I use the ground crumbles for enchiladas, burritos and tacos.
  • eichlercm
    eichlercm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you eating fish? I eat salmon, prawns, tuna or sardines for protein, as they're loaded with it. If not eating fish then some pasta has good protein levels and of course tofu. I drink tofu milk and miso to get more protein up for the day too, oh and Greek yoghurt is good if you eat that. I replace mayo with Greek yoghurt. Oh and cottage cheese on some sort of cruskit is a good one as a protein snack.
  • anaptrejom
    anaptrejom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is vegan chili! You can find the recipe there. It was waaaay too long lol. http://www.theendlessmeal.com/easy-vegetarian-chili-recipe/
    Cheers
  • stacyanne052877
    stacyanne052877 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Pinterest! It's one of the best resources!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    Eat more legumes and legume-based foods (tofu, tempeh, hummus, falafel, soy milk, soy grits, other bean flours); eat more eggs, if you eat eggs; eat more yogurt (especially greek yogurt), cottage cheese, and milk, if you eat dairy.

You can get protein from grains and grain-based foods, but I don't know your specific needs re carbs and protein, so that may or may not improve your macros.

You can eat seitan, which is just the protein part of the wheat, so no carbs.
  • ssslasher23
    ssslasher23 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You could try adding vegan protein powder to your diet. Though I am not vegan, Vega protein and greens is my protein supplement of choice. You can do a lot with it, too. Check out protein powder recipes.

I used to be vegetarian, but still ate eggs. If you eat eggs, they're a great source of protein. Pair eggs with ezekiel bread....boom, whole lotta protein there. Tofu is a great source of protein too; it's also super versatile, you can eat it for any meal of the day (yes, even breakfast, try scrambled tofu)!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Lentils! Try pinterest. I really don't have recipes but I make the red ones with thai red chile paste and coconut milk plus spices, onion, garlic and ginger.

I'm also a fan of black beans pair it with sweet potato - delish!
  • rtewar
    rtewar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try tofu, protein powder, tempeh, lentils, eggs
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    azgirl97 wrote: »
    Hi there. I'm pretty new and have been looking at my food logs and noticed that I eat a lot of carbs and not enough protein. I prefer to not eat meat and I am just wondering if anyone has any tasty, protein packed vegetarian or vegan recipes. :) Thank you

I like these sites. They both have recipes (look on the bar at the top of the screen):

http://ohsheglows.com/

http://kamalkitchen.com/

• staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I like mixing cottage cheese with a spoonful of peanut butter and chopped fruit. Usually has 15g or so of protein.

I make protein smoothies for breakfast fairly often - vanilla whey, banana, peanut butter, frozen cherries, and a bit of almond milk. Very filling, and usually close to 30g. I also stir protein powder into my oatmeal.

Meat substitutes like tempeh, quorn, tofu, soya sausages, etc usually pack at least 10g of protein per serving.

Lentil or spelt pasta is a bit higher in protein. I bulk up my pasta with loads of veggies so I can have a massive bowl.

Quinoa has a decent amount of protein.

Nutritional yeast is a good supplement. Has some protein and lots of B vitamins as well.

Black beans are a firm staple for me. Love making burrito bowl type things.

I was a strict vegetarian but went pescatarian last April, so canned tuna is useful for me. I like to make tuna & sweet potato cakes to put on a salad.
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I second the oh she glows website. I am not a vegan, but still enjoy vegan foods, and most of her recipes are delish! The author just released her second cookbook, which I plan to buy soon. Happy eating
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Nutloaf for Christmas dinner..done As loaf and muffin sized

aokwsbitgt82.jpg
    1sbl1c3us9su.jpg
  • Coachfitandrea
    Coachfitandrea Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs, some fish, nuts and nut butters, seeds, veggie protein powders, some dairy or dairy substitutions, and a lot of veggies (more protein than most people think).
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I make Quinoa Burgers ( more like patties ) and they are really good. Quinoa is carbs as well I know but it's high fiber which I think most people are looking for. It's net carbs are 12g.

https://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/love-my-quinoa-burger/