New to this,need friends

Options
Hi everyone if anyone can see this. I need friends to motivate me to stay on track. I'm a mom of three kids. My twins are 19 and my youngest is 11. My son is currently at boot camp in San Diego for the USMC. I want to lose weight for my trip out there in February to surprise my son but also am doing this to fit into clothes again. I've gained a lot in the last year. I'm also a pet owner, 1 dog and 1 cat. I tend to binge eat under stress, and yes, really binge. I also hate exercise which I totally need to change that mindset! I have an elliptical at home I've had for a long time but only used once. Today I am determined to get on that. Guess I've rambled on enough.

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    You will find that regular exercise is an easy way to reduce stress, which in turn may reduce the need to binge. Just don't fall for the low carb diets or the diet pills. Just set a calorie goal and stick with it. Welcome to MFP!
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Weigh and log what you eat and then set a reasonable goal. From what I've seen most people seem comfortable between half pound and one pound loss. Don't go over two. Also eat back half what you burn in exercise is a pretty good rule of thumb. Once you have done all that weigh and log what you eat and be honest with yourself. This should be a long term change so small changes are a good start. If you have a day where you go over, don't stress it, just log and move on. There will be days (Chrismahaunikwanzamas I'm looking at you kid) where you will most likely over eat. Don't stress it. Just log and move on.
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I actually found that once I started losing a bit of weight, that in itself made me motivated and reduced my stress. Welcome to MFP! You can do this!
  • RabbitOnSaturn
    RabbitOnSaturn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Tara! I've been on MFP for awhile but really just now using it thoroughly. Feel free to add me if you're looking for friends and motivation! I know I could use it!
  • kymberleykennedy
    kymberleykennedy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You're not alone bonging when you're stressed. A lot of us do it. I know I do. Happy to add you :)
  • Marieyeyeam
    Marieyeyeam Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya. A warm plate/bowl of something just feels like a hug from the inside when I am stressed. Some days I lose but slowly getting stronger against the binge. Specifically, I would like to break up with chips. I don't have any trouble saying no to sweets/desserts but chips make me weak. Feel free to add. 24 yrs Canuck over 100 to lose so I'll be kicking around here long after February. We can do it :)
  • TrueBeautyDanielle
    Options
    Add me! I love new friends and us supporting each other!
  • ajaysharma316
    ajaysharma316 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    working out is one of the best stress buster. You will grow to learn that. But welcome on board and I am sure you will be able to achieve your targets.