Good Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
Asking this here because I honestly have no idea where to start. I'm looking for a good heart rate monitor for gym, running and sleep tracking. I'm willing to spend anything I need to get a good one but I'd obviously prefer something cheaper if there isn't a huge difference. Are the wristwatch heart rate monitors actually accurate? Or do you need to get the chest ones for any sort of real accuracy?

Cheers!

Replies

• banpluak
    banpluak Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    look at the Fitbit, wristwatch type, monitor. Prices here are expensive but it's the same for any imported electronics in Thailand.
  • gojaqs
    gojaqs Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I loved the Polar F4. Now I have an Apple Watch, but for a single purpose device, the polar hrm is the best I've found.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    kebab4tw wrote: »
    I'm looking for a good heart rate monitor for gym, running and sleep tracking.

So that's not so much an HRM as an activity tracker with HR functionality. Subject to how much you run you may prefer to go for a GPS device that has activity tracking and HR capabilities.

Personally I use Garmins, but Suunto make good devices as well. Mid range TomTom are adequate but nothing spectacular.

For a recreational runner the Forerunner 235 is probably the optimal at the moment.

An HRM is of very limited value in the gym.
    Are the wristwatch heart rate monitors actually accurate? Or do you need to get the chest ones for any sort of real accuracy?

Optical HR, wrist or arm based, is good enough for most people, most of the time. You'll see a fair amount of received wisdom that electrical, chest strap, pickup is more accurate but that's only really meaningful if you have a top end analysis device and you're looking for the more advanced performance metrics.

Whilst technically correct, it's about as meaningful as comparing a laser ring gyro vs a mechanical speedometer in your car. A laser ring gyro would be more accurate, but not in any way that is meaningful to the driver.

• kebab4tw
    kebab4tw Posts: 6 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm definitely more often at gym than running outside, but I'd also like to use it for when I walk/skate to places etc.

Main reason I want it is to monitor my calories burned when doing cardio at the gym and when I walk, and also to see how many calories I burn when doing weights. I don't plan to eat back any calories burned doing weights as I know any hrm can be wildly inaccurate when monitoring strength exercise, but I'd still like a rough idea.

I've done a bit of research and heard good things about the Fitbit Charge 2 and the Garmin Vivosmart HR. Would I be good with either one of those? Is one of them clearly better than the other with what I want it for? Are there others in the same brand or a different brand entirely, like Polar for example, that would be better?

Thanks for your help!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I'm definitely more often at gym than running outside, but I'd also like to use it for when I walk/skate to places etc.

OK, in that case HR isn't a reliable indicator of calorie expenditure in those sort of situations. For walking, the most meaningful is a GPS, but a step tracker is probably of more practical use. Your HR shouldn't be high enough to be a meaningful proxy when you're walking or skating.
    ...I know any hrm can be wildly inaccurate when monitoring strength exercise, but I'd still like a rough idea.

You'd get a figure as meaningful as HR derived if you throw two ten sided dice, apply a scaling factor based on the age or your dog, multiplied by the height of your second cousin.

For strength training, personally I account about 200 calories per session, so small numbers in the grand scheme of things.

The reason is that when your strength training, what's causing the increased heart rate is not the requirement to transport greater levels of oxygen to the muscular system.
    I've done a bit of research and heard good things about the Fitbit Charge 2 and the Garmin Vivosmart HR. Would I be good with either one of those? Is one of them clearly better than the other with what I want it for?

Personally I prefer Garmin, as the ecosystem is more focused on performance. I use a VivoSmart HR for activity tracking, a Forerunner 310XT for running and an Edge 520 for cycling, then a Virb X action camera. They all work together nicely.

FitBit doesn't have that.
  • kebab4tw
    Options
    Ah ok. I had no idea HR was that unreliable when it came to strength training. I'll probably end up going for the VivoSmart then.

Thanks for your help!
  • kebab4tw
    Options
    Ok, I have one last question. Does the VivoActive HR, which includes GPS, have any negatives compared to the VivoSmart HR? I don't mind paying the extra bit of money for it if it's just better in every way.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for just a HR monitor I recommend the Polar H7. It needs to be paired with a bluetooth device, such as a smart phone and an app (it has a free app as well). If you're looking for a fitness tracker with HR functionality it'll probably be a little less accurate but there are many to choose from and the price goes up x 3 usually. My H7 cost me about $50 delivered from Amazon and works great with my iPhone and any app I've chosen to sync it with. It even works with my equipment (Bowflex M5) so it'll do ANT+ and Bluetooth LE at the same time.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a straight-up HR monitor on the cheap, I have the Mio ALPHA 2 Heart Rate Watch + Activity Tracker. I didn't dl the software, just use it to monitor my HR while I'm running, and it works great. It's around $66 on Amazon right now.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Ok, I have one last question. Does the VivoActive HR, which includes GPS, have any negatives compared to the VivoSmart HR? I don't mind paying the extra bit of money for it if it's just better in every way.

It has much more functionality around activity tracking as it includes a GPS.

• Wkelkel
    Wkelkel Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Definitely can recommend the garmin vivoactive hr or flagship fenix 3hr for weight training.

Avoid fitbit, the garmin calculations are very realistic and what you would expect.
  • kebab4tw
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If anyone's curious, I ended up getting a Vivoactive HR and so far I'm loving it.

Thanks everyone for your help!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Asking this here because I honestly have no idea where to start. I'm looking for a good heart rate monitor for gym, running and sleep tracking. I'm willing to spend anything I need to get a good one but I'd obviously prefer something cheaper if there isn't a huge difference. Are the wristwatch heart rate monitors actually accurate? Or do you need to get the chest ones for any sort of real accuracy?

Cheers!

A HRM is not applicable for sleep tracking...
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    If anyone's curious, I ended up getting a Vivoactive HR and so far I'm loving it.

Keep us posted. Saw a video rating HRMs a while back and Garmin was rated the worse (not sure which one). Out of the 4 the Microsoft Pulse was first, Apple Watch 2nd, Fitbit 3rd and Garmin last.
    Try to find out how it curves and adjust accordingly. I use the Apple watch which tends to be conservative which has worked for me.
  • kebab4tw
    edited December 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    A HRM is not applicable for sleep tracking...

Yeah, to be honest, I meant activity tracker. Like I said, I was pretty clueless about these things.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

My opinion. Don't buy the Vivosmart HR. There are software issues with it that I got frustrated by that have not been fixed in over a year (I bought mine in Sept of this year). My wife has it now and I have the Vivoactive HR. Much better device, the software isn't FUBAR and I can use the activity mode on it properly. I know it is more money, but it is far better.

I wear mine 23/7. I take it off when I shower just to charge it daily.

Advantage (to me) of the Garmin is they are waterproof. I'll be flyfishing again in the spring and want to keep it on for that.

Hmm. I see if I read the rest of the thread, you already took my most excellent advice :)

If you have any questions, ask me. I've only had mine since US thanksgiving, so I don't have it all figured out yet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I'd be interested in hearing more about it...I'm a big fan of Garmin products but always have been a bit leery of "jack of all trades" tech.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone take a look at the Polar H7. It's far more accurate and much cheaper than the wrist models.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I'd be interested in hearing more about it...I'm a big fan of Garmin products but always have been a bit leery of "jack of all trades" tech.

I like it for the number of available activities to track. I use a treadmill and walk the dogs. They are distinct activities, one without GPS and one with. I can look at a map of my walk if I want. It doesn't have a fishing activity though. You can download new screens, apps and widgets from the Garmin Connect IQ store, something the Vivosmart couldn't do. I've tested downloading a local golf course to it, but haven't tried it as the greens are kinda white right now. But the list of activities is pretty extensive. Might try snowshoeing this weekend depending on the weather and there is a mode for that.

As far as accuracy, it is closer to what my Polar H7 gives me when on the treadmill than the Vivosmart was. What comes into MFP is still a bit higher than what the Polar gives, but it's not bad. Maybe 20% high.

If I had a specific sport that I was going to do, then I might get a dedicated tracker for that, but I don't expect I will focus on one thing so the jack of all trades works better for me. I plan to do some running (want to do 5K in 2017) biking as well as some general outdoor stuff like fishing.
  • rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have a Vivoactive HR and love it. Much more than I did my old Fitbit Charge HR. I use the smartwatch functionalities a lot for weather and notifications, as well as heart rate and activity tracking.

As for "true" HRMs, heart rate monitors that strap around your chest, they do have some use at a gym. I had (and lost) a Runtastic combo band that did both ANT+ and 5.3 kHz (Polar) modes. The Polar mode is useful because it communicated with some cardio equipment, meaning I didn't have to hold on to the heart rate sensors on a bike or treadmill. Newer cardio equipment should work with ANT+ but my gym doesn't have that.