Trying to lose weight!

Options
Hello,
I have been with MY Fitness Pal for 16 days now.
I am proud of myself for keeping up with my logging, but still need help.
I'm doing pretty well with my numbers, but need some advice on the exercise portion.
I am slightly out of shape and i am unable to make it through any of the exercise videos i have found.
Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I have been with MY Fitness Pal for 16 days now.
    I am proud of myself for keeping up with my logging, but still need help.
    I'm doing pretty well with my numbers, but need some advice on the exercise portion.
    I am slightly out of shape and i am unable to make it through any of the exercise videos i have found.
    Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Find an activity you enjoy, that will make you more likely to stick to it.

And if the exercise videos are something you enjoy - keep at it. The more you do it, the better at it you will become. Take breaks if you need to and modify the moves if you need to. That's totally fine.
  • mcossette001
    mcossette001 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love being outside. It is tough with the winter season though. I will try keeping with the videos. It does make me feel good when i do them. I can feel them working.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I love being outside, too. It's calming and makes me feel good, and even when it's not especially pretty, it's still nice to have the open sky over my head instead of a ceiling. I get cabin fever, so it's kind of a double whammy for me.

You lose weight from a calorie deficit. It's the numbers, pure and simple ... except that you can use exercise or food restriction ("starvation") to achieve the number. Or a combination of both. So, you could lose weight and burn fat off without doing any exercise whatsoever. Not recommended, but totally possible, happens every day. Anything you do above and beyond nothing is even better. :smile:

Going for a walk won't make you super fit but it'll burn calories, and get you outside. Winter is what bundling up like an Eskimo is for.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The first time I started an exercise video I got through a whopping 8 minutes of it before I had to quit. The second time I got through about 15 minutes. The third time I got through it, but I had to take about 4 short breaks and then come back to it. Eventually I was able to do them all the way through.

If the video are too tough for you then you can either: 1. Keep trying anyway. As long as you aren't injuring yourself, you'll get a little stronger each time. or 2. Find an easier video. There are lots of exercise videos at all different levels. You can start with something like Walk Away the Pounds or Richard Simmons or Bellydance for Fitness and then work your way up to the harder stuff.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Persistence and find something suitable for your fitness level. Good job and keep it up
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Just walk. Or walk in place if you can't go outside. Try body weight exercises. There's much you can do inside and at any level of fitness. Once your fitness level increases from walking/exercising on a regular basis, try something else. Sounds like you're trying things that are just too difficult at your level. Fitness videos are usually made by people who are very fit, don't feel bad if you can't keep up with them.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Anything you do to move is helpful so don't think you have to conquer PX90 on the first try! Last night I used my daughter for my work out and we had fun. As she sat on the floor I would do curls to lift her up. Then she would make herself stiff as a board and I would push her feet up for some shoulder presses. Doing high reps ended up creating a burn that felt great and she benefited by strengthening her core.

You will be surprised how many little things you can do to "exercise"! It doesn't have to be a video or a gym. When was the last time you scrubbed your floor, wiped down the walls? Why not be productive while your getting your health on? I'm getting ready to paint a few rooms which may not sound like much, but I guarantee I'm burning more calories than clicking "Next" on my browser or changing channels on the TV!

Do what makes you move and have fun.
  • mcossette001
    Options
    Hey, thanks so much for the replies and advice. Really inspiring and gives me motivation that I need. Now I know that I am on the right step and just need to slow it down a bit. Gonna be getting a treadmill this weekend. I will start there.
  • Bradleyjah
    Bradleyjah Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You've got this. When I started, I first did a p90x videos at home for a month (I was horrible) or so to get in some form of shape and less embarrassed to go to a fun. After that, I started finding and trying a bunch of workout classes until I found some I really enjoyed (turned out I really enjoyed just trying new things and did that for several months). Then I did a mix of videos and classes until finally settled into just a few classes that I love and work for me during the week. The key is just to get going and find exercise to add to that "calories burned" column
  • aimez23
    aimez23 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any HIIT? Interval training has really helped my endurance :) and it's over quickly
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    The best advice for exercise is to just do what you can currently without injuring yourself. As you lose weight and get fitter you'll be able to do more.
  • mcossette001
    Options
    What is HIIT?
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My advice is do as much of the videos as you can, and when you can do more, do more. All exercise is good! There is no magic threshold at the end of a workout video where it suddenly does a lot more for your health. :smile:
  • glenboyo
    glenboyo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you get bored of the same repetitive videos, then try this app (if you have iPhone): http://www.appstore.com/fitmix

You set fitness level and workout duration, and it creates a workout from a catalogue of over 200 exercises. If you have some equipment (dumbbells or med ball) then they can be incorporated. It's free to download.
  • kathykrupa297
    kathykrupa297 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! The first time I started yo exercise again I did Zumba. It's fun but it makes u sweat. I love low intensity classes that motivate u to come in and do it. Sometimes I just go on a treadmill or stationary bike and go slow while watching a movie on my table. The hour flies by and at least ur moving.