Copha

Options
cerise_noir
cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
edited December 2016 in Recipes
Hey all!

For Christmas this year, I'd LOVE to make a couple of Australian treats for my Canadian family (white Christmas, chocolate crackles), but unfortunately there is no copha to be found around here (a solidified, somewhat died coconut fat). My question is, would an equal blend of coconut butter and coconut oil do the trick, or would coconut butter be sufficient? Crisco and the like are not good subs. :/ Plain coconut oils simply doesn't solidify enough like copha does at room temp (copha solidifies to the consistency of white chocolate, almost) What about white candy melts (not white chocolate) with coconut butter?

Any ideas?

Replies

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Some recipes use white chocolate instead of copha, I think that's what I'd use for white Christmas. It won't be the traditional version that mum used to make - but I didn't like that much anyway!
    I can't think of an alternative to use for chocolate crackles, if you use chocolate it wouldn't be chocolate crackles! What about making honey crackles (aka honey joys) instead?
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Some recipes use white chocolate instead of copha, I think that's what I'd use for white Christmas. It won't be the traditional version that mum used to make - but I didn't like that much anyway!
    I can't think of an alternative to use for chocolate crackles, if you use chocolate it wouldn't be chocolate crackles! What about making honey crackles (aka honey joys) instead?
    Hmm...I haven't thought of the honey crackles! You're right; I don't think I'd be able to recreate the chocolate crackles without copha.

I do like the coconut flavour the copha provides. I think I will play around with a coconut butter and white chocolate combo. I think I could get quite close.

Thank you
  • tanya1052
    tanya1052 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The 4 ingredient's blog has a no-copha chocolate crackle that I've made - it isn't exactly right, but is still very tasty. - http://www.4ingredients.com.au/blog/chocolate-crackles-without-copha…-yep-you-read-it-right
  • pebble4321
    Options
    Hmm...I haven't thought of the honey crackles! You're right; I don't think I'd be able to recreate the chocolate crackles without copha.

I do like the coconut flavour the copha provides. I think I will play around with a coconut butter and white chocolate combo. I think I could get quite close.

Thank you

Hmm, yes, that combo might work. The chocolate should give it setting power and the coconut butter flavour... make sure you post a pic when you are done.

I'm having an old-fashioned-goodies baking frenzy next weekend with my niece - she wants to make coconut ice, cheese biscuits, nuts'n'bolts and... hmm, I forget what else. And I'm going to add gluten free chocolate brownies (I replace the flour with ground almonds) into the mix too. Gah, I think I will make us a salad for dinner after we sample all of those!
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I did some serious googling and it looks like extra virginated coconut oil is the closest thing in north america to copha hopes that help please post a picture of white christmas it looked interesting in my googling
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Or Palmin
  • cerise_noir
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I did some serious googling and it looks like extra virginated coconut oil is the closest thing in north america to copha hopes that help please post a picture of white christmas it looked interesting in my googling

Thanks. :) I have tried the coconut oil in the past and it doesn't quite set up to or even taste like copha. Apparently, copha is pretty much a drier version coconut butter. No wonder why chocolate crackles and white Christmas taste so good! Palmin would be very similar, of not the same thing with different branding....good idea!

Thank you

Hmm, yes, that combo might work. The chocolate should give it setting power and the coconut butter flavour... make sure you post a pic when you are done.

I'm having an old-fashioned-goodies baking frenzy next weekend with my niece - she wants to make coconut ice, cheese biscuits, nuts'n'bolts and... hmm, I forget what else. And I'm going to add gluten free chocolate brownies (I replace the flour with ground almonds) into the mix too. Gah, I think I will make us a salad for dinner after we sample all of those!

Sounds good! I completely forgot about the awesomeness that is coconut ice!!!
  • pebble4321
    Options
    We used another recipe, but followed the cooking directions from this one - it is seriously delicious, but seriously sweet... and that's from someone who likes sweet things!