Fitbit vs Garmin

Options
If this has been posted elsewhere I apologize in advance. I am in the market for a new fitness tracker. I currently have the first incarnation of the Garmin Vivosmart and have had it replaced 3 times. I am currently looking at either the Garmin Vivosmart HR, Fitbit Charge 2, or Fitbit Blaze. I do not swim much so waterproof-ness(sp) is not a factor to me. Any thoughts and insight would be appreciated.

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I had a Vivosmart HR when I started losing weight. Cannot recommend it. Decent piece of hardware but the software has big issues. The one that bugged me the most is if you started an activity, say walking, the damn thing would figure out your calories from the walk and then figure out calories from your steps for the day, in effect doubling up the calories from any activity you started. It has other issues as well.

Read here https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?556-vivosmart-HR-HR

Having said that, I replaced mine with a Vivoactive HR and like it a lot better. But I got it on sale for $200 CDN so the price was right.

I've not used a FitBit so I have no experience with them. I need waterproof for fishing so the Fitbit was out for me.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I use the GPS on my Garmin for every run... I can see HRM changes, along with speed changes, and locations on a map. For example, on a recent road run, I did a brief all-out sprint at one point. I could see where I sped up, the pace I was doing for that short time, and could match it on the map where I remember actually doing that. I could also see where my pace dropped to 0, and the map reminded me there is a busy street where I stopped to wait on traffic.

This kind of insight is pretty cool.

For running, Garmin can track things like your stride length (for every step!). You can see how things are correlated: Expand the pace graph, then overlay your HR, stride length, and cadence, and learn how these things affect each other. Here's an example of what a Fenix 3 tracks when you run.

For cycling, it's just crazy. I wish you could see the standing vs seated time broken out on the map, though.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that Garmin is a better technology and Fitbit has a better social platform behind the technology.

This pretty much sums it up. I would say that the Blaze/ Surge equivalent is the VivoActiveHR though. FitBit don't get into the moderate to higher range of devices, whereas the Fenix is pretty much top of the range Garmin.

The first generation VivoSmart did have a class wide issue with the displays. Garmin replaced mine with a second generation, the VivoSmart HR. I'm very happy with it, given the limitations of the device type.
  • Wkelkel
    Wkelkel Posts: 19 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Just to add
    Garmin data is more complete than fitbit, also syncs better with strava and runkeeper too. When I left fitbit for garmin I could only export 1 month of my fitbit history (that's for premium members to!) 4 years of data gone! That won't happen with Garmin as it will allow you to export in the standard gpx file that most use.

Fitbit surge is a defective product, the blaze is miles behind the garmin vivoactive hr IMHO.

Social side is there within garmin and once I made a few, friends around the world the experience matched up to my fitbit social setup that I had.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    wkel24 wrote: »
    Just to add
    Garmin data is more complete than fitbit, also syncs better with strava and runkeeper too. When I left fitbit for garmin I could only export 1 month of my fitbit history (that's for premium members to!) 4 years of data gone! That won't happen with Garmin as it will allow you to export in the standard gpx file that most use.

Fitbit surge is a defective product, the blaze is miles behind the garmin vivoactive hr IMHO.

Social side is there within garmin and once I made a few, friends around the world the experience matched up to my fitbit social setup that I had.

You can now export Fitbit data for all time, you just have to do 30 days at a time. And don't have to be premium. I just did this a couple weeks ago when I got my Garmin. I only chose to load 3 months, but could have easily done years from Fitbit if I had wanted to spend the time to do it 30 days at a time.
  • jmassey90
    jmassey90 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thats exactly what happened here with the display issue, I have the first generation Vivosmart and this is the 3rd time its gone bad im a lil over 2 years. They upgraded me at no cost to the Vivosmart HR and threw in 2 day shipping,it should be here tomorrow :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Just to add

You can now export Fitbit data for all time, you just have to do 30 days at a time. And don't have to be premium. I just did this a couple weeks ago when I got my Garmin. I only chose to load 3 months, but could have easily done years from Fitbit if I had wanted to spend the time to do it 30 days at a time.

Thanks for that info, @midwesterner85

I'm moving from Fitbit to Garmin soon, and was wondering what would happen to my data.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Just to add

Thanks for that info, @midwesterner85

I'm moving from Fitbit to Garmin soon, and was wondering what would happen to my data.

There was a thread on it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10480516/garmin-enables-migration-from-fitbit-here-s-how-it-works

I found that Garmin had fixed the calories burned vs. exercise calories glitch by the time I did this.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I have a Vivoactive (not HR) and I use the chest strap when I work out. Never had it double count calories in the year and a half I've owned it. Maybe it was a setting issue for you.

I love the Garmin and switched after being a Polar devotee. Have never used a Fitbit. Didn't want the optical hrm, the chest straps are more accurate for training and that's what I care most about. If you want 24/7 hr, then an optical may be a better fit.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Fitbit has great customer service which is good, because their products just don't hold up in my experience. I've had my Fitbit Charge replaced 4 or 5 times under warranty. It's failing again but they're done helping me so I bought a Garmin Vivosmart HR. Works great and once I sent my Activity Level to zero, it gives me about the same calories as the Fitbit did when it was set to sedentary. I use a Forerunner 220 to track my run and while initially I was getting double credit from both the VHR and the FR220, I no longer do. I wish I knew what setting I changed to fix it.

One big thing I noticed is that the VHR has a better algorithm for tracking steps. I have a hand-crank coffee grinder at home and Fitbit gives me 500 steps every time I use it. Garmin knows I'm just making coffee and doesn't give me any credit. On a run they're about equal so for real steps I know they're good.

I won't buy Fitbit again.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    My Fenix 3 doesn't count steps when I drive or when I bike - as well it shouldn't. It did when it was first released, but users threw a fit and Garmin fixed it.

My F3 has a lot more features now than when I bought it. Some of them are incredibly useful.

It looks good. Battery life is fantastic. It does turn-by-turn directions. Tracks my heart rate when I swim. Works with my power meter. Etc.

27386482953_4e9f0bc0e6_o_d.jpg

27925337523_43a0a6c0c9_o_d.jpg
  • Wkelkel
    Wkelkel Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My Fenix 3 doesn't count steps when I drive or when I bike - as well it shouldn't. It did when it was first released, but users threw a fit and Garmin fixed it.

My F3 has a lot more features now than when I bought it. Some of them are incredibly useful.

It looks good. Battery life is fantastic. It does turn-by-turn directions. Tracks my heart rate when I swim. Works with my power meter. Etc.

27386482953_4e9f0bc0e6_o_d.jpg

27925337523_43a0a6c0c9_o_d.jpg

Like the strap!
  • jdfitzctb
    jdfitzctb Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had a Vivosmart HR when I started losing weight. Cannot recommend it. Decent piece of hardware but the software has big issues. The one that bugged me the most is if you started an activity, say walking, the damn thing would figure out your calories from the walk and then figure out calories from your steps for the day, in effect doubling up the calories from any activity you started. It has other issues as well.

Having said that, I replaced mine with a Vivoactive HR and like it a lot better. But I got it on sale for $200 CDN so the price was right.

I've not used a FitBit so I have no experience with them. I need waterproof for fishing so the Fitbit was out for me.

This statement isn't accurate. Garmin doesn't double count calories from tracked activities and daily steps! That's made clear in their support documents with the tracker and online.
  • MountainHiker48
    MountainHiker48 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had a FitBit Surge that quit working after about a month. I returned it and got another. That one lasted for about 8 months and then the menu button refused to work correctly. I could only bring up one activity. After this frustration, I wasn't about to go to round #3, so I've been using a Garmin VivoActive HR for the past month and so far I am delighted. I've used it to log my hiking, running and indoor training (spin classes) and have no complaints to this point.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I think Fitbits software/algorithm or whatever it's called is pretty decent. But their accessories such as bands,chargers etc are pretty flimsy. This is why i think their customer service is excellent, as they are aware that people trackers will fall apart before long, so to keep their customers happy they have no problem replacing them.

I've had my Alta for around 6mths, and I've had the battery charger and the band replaced already.
  • MaralynManson
    MaralynManson Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I own the Garmin vivosmart HR. I looked long and hard at the variations of fitness tracker. I wanted one with the HR. Didn't need the GPS. The thing which swayed me in the end were the reviews of the Fitbit compared to the vivosmart. So many issues!

Been very happy with my Garmin. Had it since Christmas. Any Garmin users can add me to their connections and friends on here.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jdfitzctb wrote: »

This statement isn't accurate. Garmin doesn't double count calories from tracked activities and daily steps! That's made clear in their support documents with the tracker and online.

Definitely not double counting. I did a 3.75 mile walk the other night(at a 4 mph pace) and it credited me with 350ish calories. MFP calls that 480ish.