4 o'clock sweet-tooth.

Options
I work 12 hour shifts at the hospital and it never fails.... every day around 4 o'clock i have a major sweet-tooth. I hate it!! Anyone have an idea for a healthy alternative to junk food?? Oh, and i've tried coffee, greek yogurt, lots of water.... :(
Thanks!!

Replies

• AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I keep hard candies on hand when I want a quick sugary fix. Not healthy but it helps!!
  • ZumbaQueenKelly
    Options
    Snackwell's 100 calorie packs! That's my go-to when my sweet tooth hits.
  • MegRuthie
    MegRuthie Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    100 calorie packs of Blue Diamond dark chocolate flavored almonds. I thought they'd be chocolate COVERED when I bought them, but they have a flavoring to them that makes them taste like chocolate. Helps with my sweet tooth. Also, I eat sugar free chocolate pudding. Feels like I'm cheating but its only 60 calories.
  • farabovepearls
    farabovepearls Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sugar Free Jolly Ranchers!
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I had someone recommend this and I love it! I just slice an apple, put in the microwave (or somehow to heat it up a bit) and sprinkle some cinnamon on top! Reminds me of apple pie and is WAY healthier! :)
  • kimberg75
    kimberg75 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I am eating an apple right now, b/c I wanted something sweet and it helps...also filling. I also like the Special K raspberry cheesecake bars, they are out of this world good!! You could also try extra dessert delights gum or some sugarfree lifesavers...yummy!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Emerald's Cocoa Roast Almonds Dark Chocolate Flavor. You can purchase them in the 100 Calorie Packs and it gives you the right stuff needed to curb hunger and a little sweetness. Plus, it's also good protein!
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem around 3pm! I keep a pack of Tic-Tacs in my drawer. 1 candy is 1.9 calories, so I usually have about 5 of them. Eat them 1 at a time, sucking on them (not biting into them) and they will last a while!
  • pital74
    pital74 Posts: 14
    Options
    Sugar free hard candies (I like SF Worther's Original) and a glass of water.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    banana w/peanut butter
    protein bars (I just tried a Luna protein chocolate peanut butter today....OMG so good)!!
  • martyc91
    martyc91 Posts: 55
    Options
    M & M chocholate ice cream blizzard from Dairy Queeen! They are DELICIOUS!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Up the protein amount in your snack. Have some cottage cheese and some fruit, or something like that. Anything high carb will make you crash after your sugar comes down from it and you will get into a slump. HIgher protein takes much longer to digest, keep you fuller longer, and wont make your blood sugar go up only to crash two hours later!! :D
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    Peanut butter on apple slices....
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    hershey kisses
  • Nomarfan
    Nomarfan Posts: 36
    Options
    How long do you microwave the apple? That sounds really tasty!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Dove chocolate squares--but just eat one. One is about 43 calories.
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    M & M chocholate ice cream blizzard from Dairy Queeen! They are DELICIOUS!

YUM. hahahahahahaha no fair!
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I drink a chocolate protein shake and get ready for my 5pm workout...
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    Sometimes I drink a couple of cups of Light Soymilk with some sugar free chocolate syrup stirred in. It is very filling and it seems to stick with me for a good while.

Another thing to try is the Weight Watchers brand light mozzarella string cheese sticks. They are only 50 cals each and although they aren't sweet, they do the trick for me in the afternoons.

Jell-O makes some really good sugar-free pudding snack cups. I absolutely LOVE the Creme Brulee flavor! I think they are like 70 cals each. The double chocolate flavor is excellent too.

Find a good protein bar that you like. Pure Protein brand is my favorite. Their chocolate deluxe flavor is the one I like the best. Only 180 cals and so filling because of the high protein content.

In the potato chip aisle in my supermarket, they sell these snacks called Apple Straws. They are cinnamon flavored and 40 straws is only about 130 calories. They are super tasty. I think the brand is called World Gourmet. I buy them a LOT!