Should I do cardio or strength training in order to tone up?

Options
I did a test online and it says Im ectomorph and a mesomorph. Im already pretty thin but I have noodle arms and I would be lying if I said I didn't want a flat tummy. Currently I do 60 min Kickboxing videos on youtube which sometimes have 20 min strength training in it, four times a week. Sometimes I also do zumba. So my question is should I keep doing the kickboxing or focus more on weights? Keep in mind I have really bad joints(knees and hips like to pop a lot and usually cause me pain during a workout). FYI I do have to workout from my apartment.So any type of youtube video would be amazing.If anyone has recommendations for a workout plan for me that would be even better!
I attached 2 pictures to give an example of my body. Excuse the awful photoshop.
fr2irysojpau.jpg
aesuxg7zy2xk.jpg

Replies

• jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Strength training. Definitely need to build muscle if you want muscle to show.
    There are many programs out there that you can follow. I'm doing Body Beast right now and quite enjoying it.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I love FitnessBlender for at home strength training.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of what you wrote.

You are thin and have little muscle. You need to eat, at least at maintenance calories, and lift heavy if you want to "tone up".
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, somatotyping is crap. Cardio is great, but based on your pics, I'd put you on a strength training program to enhance your muscles.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You can continue to do the kickboxing and stuff but I would definitely recommend a strength training routine and make that a priority. Do you have any equipment at all? If not you can check out bodyweight programs like You are your own gym and Strong Curves Best butt at home program.
  • heatherlovezu
    heatherlovezu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For equipment I have resistant bands and I'm hoping to get some weights soon. Currently I'm just using a milk jug filled with water haha
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For equipment I have resistant bands and I'm hoping to get some weights soon. Currently I'm just using a milk jug filled with water haha

Hey it works!! :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

You also have your bodyweight remember.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Build some muscle.. Lift heavy 3x per week and cardio 2x.. Eat enough and have fun with both
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Also TRX (or suspension training system) can be an easy way to progress using your body weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Body weight is great too. There are suspension systems (I have a WOSS) that are less cost than TRX and work just fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • socially_awkward_and_hungry
    Options
    Kettlebells and kettlersize DVD are great at home workouts for fat loss and muscle sculpting ☺ cheap too
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    yep cut the cardio back and lift weights get to know your TDEE and log food to educate yourself on YOU.. No program or diet will do it you need to learn your own special self.. It takes time but I promise its worth the time to know what makes you tick!!
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Cardio assists lowering body fat but without strength training no matter how lean you get you would just look skinny. Weights will build the shape you want to see. Since you have bad joints take your time to find ways to lift that are easier on them. Alway go slow and hold your form.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Healthy mix of both has never steered me wrong. Cardio to burn off the fat, strength training to build muscles.

Just be sure you're lifting at least moderately heavy. 10-12 reps in 3 sets at a weight that I struggle with but can still keep good form is how I do it and I got good results! Don't worry about getting bulky- you won't
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Strength training will give you the toned look. I've been running for nine years, but I only started actually looking like I had some muscle definition when I took up kettlebells a year ago.