HRM question

Options
I just did a search on HRM on here and found alot of good info. But I don't want one with all the bells and whistles to be honest. I just recently figured out how to use iTunes so go easy on me! Seriously.

Probably a silly question but where on your chest (me being a woman!) do you wear the chest strap, is it 100% absolutely necessary to go for one with a chest strap? Would you be able to feel it during a workout, is it comfy to wear?

I see the Polar FT range is popular. Bear in mind that I'm in Ireland, not the US but I would probably be able to pick one up on Amazon or something. I don't have pots of money to spend on it but I'd like to know once and for all my accurate calories burnt.

thanks

Replies

• Sparrow_Feet
    Sparrow_Feet Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar one with a check strap. It's very comfortable and I wear it just under my bust, tucked into my sports bra. It's the best way of knowing what you have burned, and I think the Polar ones are really easy to use. :smile:
  • Janelle_Teaches
    Options
    i would like to know how it feels when working out too :)
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have Polar FT7. Chest strap goes around your chest under your sports bra. It takes a bit of getting used to put the calorie burn is excellent. £60 on Amazon.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    it goes right under your breast plate. I have mine right under the bottom elastic part of my sports bra. You cant tell its there once its on and ive used it in gym classes and on 18 mile runs. I have a polar ft7 that i got off of Ebay for around $75
  • loseatonlady
    loseatonlady Posts: 160
    Options
    Have a Garmin w/Chest strap and you really forget it's there! They are the most accurate - so strongly suggest spending extra $ for one...
  • amywatkin
    amywatkin Posts: 25
    Options
    I live in England and bought mine recently from amazon. Its quite simple with chest strap that just sits under where your bra does! its comfortable and can't really feel it when working out. It cost about £30 and its called Onyx balance and its designed for women so its not too bulky. It's not the top of the range model but it does what its designed for with calorie/heart rate/stop watch stuff. I love mine!
  • chilloften
    Options
    I prefer the chest strap type. I feel they are more accurate, and I have no other reason and have never tried the wrist alone type. I have a pink Polar watch with the strap for a few years now, replaced watch battery once and it's all still going strong. The strap goes right on under- the under the breast area. I put on my sport bra and get that arranged and then fold it up a bit in front of a mirror to put on my strap.Sometimes as I get moving I feel it pinching and just move it down a tad, and all it well. You will love having the accurate cals burned. I do!! But will admit to forgetting all the functions of this thingy. I only need time lapsed and cals burned but it does more.
    HTH
  • camille97
    camille97 Posts: 91
    Options
    Looking at some of the examples from this thread, all of them are way over my price range, in the 100's. Can anybody find me a link for an efficient but cheap HRM chest strap device?
  • amywatkin
    amywatkin Posts: 25
    Options
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-Onyx-Balance-Heart-Monitor/dp/B000W45GE4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310761312&sr=8-1

this is the 1 I have, basic but does the job! seems to have slightly increased in price since I bought mine, up to £40.
  • Katie1015
    Katie1015 Posts: 7
    Options
    Perhaps you could try the Nike+ Sportband tool? They talk about it in a Runner's World Article, I've put the link up here: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-321--13386-0,00.html

It won't monitor heart rate, but is able to track other things. Might be good for the budget-sensitive. Although you will need Nike+ ready shoes, if you already have those - bonus!