Gym or at home workout?

Options
Just wondering how many of you go to the gym or get your workouts at home? I find I'm more motivated to push it at the gym and knowing I'm paying for it keeps me wanting to go.

How about you??

Replies

• lizzyh207
    lizzyh207 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ha just saw someone else posted the same question ignore this thread :(
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    Not wanting to search for the other thread, I will just reply here, I prefer home. I always find excuses to not workout at the gym like not feeling like driving. At home I have less excuses. Of course I have a pretty well equipped gym at home.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Home here. Using dumbbells, lots of chin ups and lots of body weight reps. That started because every decent gym within 15 miles of my house is absolutely packed all day every day. It's been a year and I like it. Coffee in the am and straight to the basement for the workout. Convenience is priceless :)
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I do both. I jog and stretch at home and lift at the gym
  • redneckjeepgirl
    redneckjeepgirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm better with going to the gym. I did try at home work out tonight because I was freaking out about not being able to make it to the gym due to snow. My house is not made for at home work outs. It's too small. I'm gonna have bruises on my arms and legs tomorrow. ☺
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Both. They both have their place in my life - but home is easier to fit in when there is little time - gym is also a social thing for me.
  • Brandons_Journey
    Options
    I personally do home, main reason is the closest gym is about a 40 minute drive :neutral: But if you can get some equipment to use at home its a lot harder to find a excuse not to use them if your just sitting there.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Gym(s) for me.

I have a (fairly basic) work gym and a well equipped gym near home.
    Home workout is my last resort and fairly unusual.

Couldn't have the same standard and quantity of equipment I want at home but also I like the total concentration on my training without distractions of home. It's my "me time", children are grown up and I'm not tied to being at home.
    Having a work gym has been a real bonus as it lets me get the volume of training in that I need/enjoy without losing all my evenings.
  • NocaLove
    NocaLove Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Both. They both have their place in my life - but home is easier to fit in when there is little time - gym is also a social thing for me.

Any advice to meet or talk with people @ the gym? I am a newbie with social anxiety. I would love to make my gym time sociable as well. I have been avoiding the gym because there are always a lot of people there and I always get looks. ( Probably because I am new )
  • cxeex
    cxeex Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Gym for me. Not only has it kept me motivated but it gets me out of the house.
    Lost 11lb in 28 days and feel much better :)
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I'm much more motivated to workout at the gym, that's where the equipment is and people to talk to for advice or just to shoot the breeze. If I had the space and money, I'd like to have equipment at home.
    NocaLove wrote: »

Any advice to meet or talk with people @ the gym? I am a newbie with social anxiety. I would love to make my gym time sociable as well. I have been avoiding the gym because there are always a lot of people there and I always get looks. ( Probably because I am new )

That's your anxiety, you're not actually getting looks - at least not the kind you think. I joined the gym in order to be social, took about 6 months of working out on my own before I got up enough courage to finally step into a group class. It was scary at first, but keep in mind everyone was a newbie at some point, and most are friendly and welcoming. You can introduce yourself to the instructor and let them know you're new, often times they'll ask just before getting class started, but doing it on the side might be more comfortable. You'll get tips from the instructor as well as seasoned students, especially if you ask or comment that you don't know what you're doing.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I use the gym. There is a greater variety of cardio machines (treadmills, ellipticals, step climbers et. al) as well as a good supply of weights (machines and free) which would be difficult to duplicate at home for any cost.

Joined the gym when, anticipating the colder darker weather in winter, I started looking for a Treadmill or Elliptical for home use. A daughter moved out and I have a free/empty room. Going to Amazon's showroom, you may know it as Dick's and Sears, to check out the "affordable" machines I found them to be, more or less, crap. The good machines were in excess of $3000 and HUGE. No way the wife, whom I love dearly, would allow such an expenditure of space and money.

The gym near me charges about $25 per month including all taxes and fees. $3000/$25=120 months or TEN YEARS. After ten years I start losing money provided that machine didn't need maintenance during that period. Basic math, and an inherent cheapness led me to the gym, but I like going there. Variety of cardio and a good supply of free weights. ;)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options

We all get looks we think,but usually most people are either just looking in any direction and you happen to be in their line of sight. Alternatively they just think hey somebody new and get on with their thing.
    Most people are really not that interested in other people and certainly not out to make them feel uncomfortable. That too will pass

As for the social aspect - give it time. Joining a class helps - certainly if you are lucky enough that it is a a small one (like mine). Most people come more than once a week and within two weeks you'll notice acknowledgement.
    My gym is fairly small, so I don't drown in the sea of people. I have now noticed that from work there are at least 7 others member there. Two friends also got there but at different times of the week.
    I know now the ebb and flow of the workout times and find those that work best for me (so Wednesday I avoid as it is waaaaay to busy for me then).
    But as always it takes time for that aspect to build up - People also want to know if they can put in the energy to get to know you, as you stick around. I have been at my gym for 9 months now and it feels like a warm bath now. The first month was investment on my part before being fully integrated in the framework of the gym
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

i'm not a gym socializer, but fwiw the best way for even someone like me to develop a sense of community there is simply consistency. you go and you keep going; and you do your thing that you go there to do. after a while people start to recognize you and they get generally familiar with what kind of lifting you're doing, just by being around you. you grow the same sense about the other regulars. after a while conversation seems to happen organically.

but then i'm one of those introvert types who find silence perfectly comfortable. i'm happy just with the little mutual nods of greeting and the general feeling of being a regular my own self. i know the weight room was incredibly intimidating when i first started going in there, but at least in my city people are both friendly and non-judgmental. the best cure for the stagefright is a) have a programme you're there to follow and b) time.
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Im a beach body coach and ive lost 50 pounds doing at home workouts yoga, t25, and now im doing core de force. I have done gym workouts but it gave more of an excuse to me to not go to the gym because of gas or kids are having a bad day etc cant find an excuse not to pop in a dvd .
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I lift at the gym...I could never build a home gym equivalent in equipment, not to mention I don't really have the space. Also, the gym is "me" time...there's too much *kitten* going on at home with a 4 y.o. and a 6 y.o., wife, etc... For cardio, I primarily cycle and enjoy being out on the road...it's winter though so I'm spending a lot more time in front of the t.v. at home on my trainer.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Home for me. I belong to a gym but don't go often. I have all the equipment I need at home, can superset without annoying anybody, can roll out of bed and be there in minutes, can start run upstairs and preheat the oven between sets, can quiz my daughter on spelling words between sets, etc. I am not a social person so I don't feel like I miss that aspect of going to the gym. Also, I frequently am lifting when my daughter has friends over and part of me hopes it normalizes lifting for them so maybe there will be less of a view that it's a guy thing.
  • rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have some social anxiety issues, I'm mostly ok with talking to instructors and exchanging a few words, but no detailed conversations so far. Where I go, there is very little conversation except between low-intensity cardio exercisers and high-intensity strength trainers using the free weights... on the machines there isn't much talking.

Don't worry about the "looks." It is simply because of you being in someone's line of sight. Intense lifting (whatever that means for each person) can really make someone focus and appear to be staring hard at something. They're not really looking anywhere at all, they're just concentrating on what they're doing, even between sets.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Not wanting to search for the other thread, I will just reply here, I prefer home. I always find excuses to not workout at the gym like not feeling like driving. At home I have less excuses. Of course I have a pretty well equipped gym at home.
    jemhh wrote: »
    Home for me. I belong to a gym but don't go often. I have all the equipment I need at home, can superset without annoying anybody, can roll out of bed and be there in minutes, can start run upstairs and preheat the oven between sets, can quiz my daughter on spelling words between sets, etc. I am not a social person so I don't feel like I miss that aspect of going to the gym. Also, I frequently am lifting when my daughter has friends over and part of me hopes it normalizes lifting for them so maybe there will be less of a view that it's a guy thing.

Like these posters, I love a home workout. I've gone to many nice gyms, and have great gyms very near to me, but I hate going in winter with my boots, coat, bag, nice work clothes, etc... I exercise daily thanks to our basement gym, which is reasonably equipped. I love watching "my" TV without anyone in my family wanting to change it. I can also pop in a load of laundry or have something cooking in the oven while working out. For me, it's all about efficient use of my time. (My family is grown but I have a busy job.)

My husband also works out at home even though our workouts differ, so you can do a variety of things at home. He has his time and I have mine, so we keep out of each other's way. Sometimes we will do a stretching DVD together, if we're both extra-creaky. That's quite nice, believe it or not.

Every few years, I'll get a membership somewhere in summer just for a change of scenery and new routine. Usually, my summer schedule is less rigid. Plus fewer clothes to bring.

My 80 yr old dad loves his gym despite working out at home all his life. The social environment is good for him. Similarly, my mom has a little group of ladies with whom she exercises during the week (a women's only place). Every Thursday they go for lunch. Again, social aspects are important for her.

My 19 yr old son lifts heavier than we have at home. There's a 24 h gym near our home that he likes, because he often goes late in the evening after he's studied. His girlfriend has started using our home gym which is nice. I'm glad they are both active and I am happy to share my treadmill with her.

Good luck finding *your* groove.
  • gatzke123
    gatzke123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I do both. I have weights and a recumbent bike and an Elliptical at home. But I find whenever I work out at home I think about something else I should be doing, cleaning, fixing, family stuff. That being said I still get workouts in at home but when I do go to the gym I get a hell of a better burn. No distractions.