Going from low carb to another diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Really? LOL so if you eat low carb, and go back to the way you were eating you will gain weight? Now there is a shocker, BUT I really like this, if you just count calories you will keep the weight off? So let me see if I have this right, if you just count calories you will magically never stop counting calories, but if you count carbs, somehow that will make you stop counting carbs and get fat again? Brilliant!

Love You Logic! :happy:

It's amazing how you completely twisted my words around into making your point.

I said that generally if you go with low carb diets you are eating at a major deficit. Do you consider eating over a 100g of carbs per day a low carb diet? Most low carbers eat less than 80g of carbs a day. Thats a pretty big deficit in calories.

If you lose your weight then you start eating your carbs normally again, you will gain the weight back because you are now eating a surplus once again.

Does that make sense?

Well no! I eat less than 100 carbs a day and still manage to eat 2000 or so calories, 1+1 does not equal 4. And the major point was "if you count calories you will keep the weight off" what is the diff here? I'll just wait around for your answer :foot tapping goes here:
  • mummyflippers
    Options
    I used to do low carb, as I have PCOS and struggled to lose weight any other way. I lost around 56lb this way.

Then a couple of months ago I was rushed into hospital with gallstones and pancreatitis, and when I came out of hospital they warned me that I must eat pretty much a fat free diet, otherwise I would be in a lot of pain.

So I swapped from low carb, to a very low fat diet that does include carbs - I didnt want to deprive myself of both carbs and fat, lol. And I have continued to lose weight - 21lb since I was first taken into hospital at the end of May.

I can eat some fat again now as I had my gallbladder out nearly 3 weeks ago, but I'm sticking to the low fat diet that does include carbs as it seems to be working. Don't get me wrong, I'm not eating bread all day long, but I'm eating cereal for breakfast and have pitta bread at lunch and sometimes dinner, plus lots of fruit.

Good luck with your weight loss!

Louise
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Just keeping the calorie count low without KNOWING what your maintenance is or how many calories you burn each day is a recipe for disaster for alot of folks. Would you agree or disagree with this?

What does this have to do with your comment on low-carbers undereating?

Some studies have shown low-carbers eating at maintenance levels (or with no limit on calories) losing as much if not more than calorie-restrictors.

There are plenty of bodybuilders, professional athletes, crossfit members, etc who have been doing low carb for some time and am pretty sure have no problem walking down the street.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Just keeping the calorie count low without KNOWING what your maintenance is or how many calories you burn each day is a recipe for disaster for alot of folks. Would you agree or disagree with this?

What does this have to do with your comment on low-carbers undereating?

Some studies have shown low-carbers eating at maintenance levels (or with no limit on calories) losing as much if not more than calorie-restrictors.

There are plenty of bodybuilders, professional athletes, crossfit members, etc who have been doing low carb for some time and am pretty sure have no problem walking down the street.

Show me the studies.
  • freerange
    Options
    ....well except that low carb diets don't inherently cause major caloric deficits, and if you temporarily adopt ANY new way of eating that helps you lose weight and then go back to your old lifestyle you'll gain weight back, and I'm pretty sure there are thousands of low carb-ers who have been eating that way for years without trouble walking down the street, and the posts on this site alone are evidence enough that just sticking to a caloric deficit isn't the key to weight loss for everyone, and there's plenty of evidence that keto diets aren't dangerous.

If this were real life this would be an appropriate time to pull out that "whatever" sign from Clueless.

Not sure what you mean by inherent calorie deficits, but there is some evidence to suggest that low carb, especially high protein, has a very potent satiating effect and reduces the tendency to overeat and underestimate calories consumed. That is part of the reason why Paleo/Primal folks are able to maintain lower calorie levels while rarely ever being hungry. If you look at it that way, then I would say that low carb diets are in fact, a tool for folks to help maintain a daily caloric deficit. But yeah, food is food and if you overconsume...it doesn't matter if you're vegan, paleo, neandertal, atkins... you can pretty much kiss your deficit good-bye.

Agreed, but that is not really what JoeJ was saying, they were saying it automatically creates a “major” deficit. Like maybe only eating <1000 calories a day. This is untrue, it does help you feel full, and does make it easier to eat at a deficit, that’s the whole point. But there is nothing magic about counting cals that will help you maintain weight loss as they alluded to, V counting carbs. I think we are on the same page here just wanted to flesh this out a little more.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Agreed, but that is not really what JoeJ was saying, they were saying it automatically creates a “major” deficit. Like maybe only eating <1000 calories a day. This is untrue, it does help you feel full, and does make it easier to eat at a deficit, that’s the whole point. But there is nothing magic about counting cals that will help you maintain weight loss as they alluded to, V counting carbs. I think we are on the same page here just wanted to flesh this out a little more.

I said it creates a major deficit to those that dont compensate their intake with more fats and proteins. All over this board I see people eating barely any fat.

Eating fat is a major factor into burning fat and losing weight.

Also there is a big difference between what people believe a low carb diet is, and what a keto diet is or even carb cycling. Keto and carb cycling diets have re-feed days. Are there any re-feed days in a low carb diet?

For instance: If I were to ask someone that does a low-carb diet or just started a low-carb if they plan on having a re-feed day and they would look at me with utter confusion. "Whats a re-feed day?" is the response I would get.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    It's possible to low carb without going into Ketosis... you don't have to go overboard and its not hard to maintain at all.
    I don't think I could eat 100g carbs a day even if I tried... and if I do, I feel like crap most of the day.

If you have any insulin resistant issues like pre-diabetes, diabetes, pcos -- you will feel and do much better on low carb.
  • freerange
    Options

I said it creates a major deficit to those that dont compensate their intake with more fats and proteins. All over this board I see people eating barely any fat.

Only after being called on your first false statement. SAme thing with a low fat diet, if you don't make up for the low fat, with carbs or protein it will be a major deficit too.

Look I'm sure you were well meaning, but either you have bought into the low carb phobia or something, because your informaation is incorrect. I'm sorry for being sort of (oh hell completely) a smart *kitten*, but that is just me. And mostly the reason is I see way to many people purposely attack low carb, a lot do it out of ignorance, but a lot do it knowing they are wrong, and are trying to force their agenda on others. So I get sarcastic with people that spread these untruths (see lies if they do it knowingly) because there are a lot of people that could be helped if they wern't afraid of low carb.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Really? LOL so if you eat low carb, and go back to the way you were eating you will gain weight? Now there is a shocker, BUT I really like this, if you just count calories you will keep the weight off? So let me see if I have this right, if you just count calories you will magically never stop counting calories, but if you count carbs, somehow that will make you stop counting carbs and get fat again? Brilliant!

Love You Logic! :happy:

It's amazing how you completely twisted my words around into making your point.

I said that generally if you go with low carb diets you are eating at a major deficit. Do you consider eating over a 100g of carbs per day a low carb diet? Most low carbers eat less than 80g of carbs a day. Thats a pretty big deficit in calories.

If you lose your weight then you start eating your carbs normally again, you will gain the weight back because you are now eating a surplus once again.

Does that make sense?

I agree with you about the calorie thing. However, I wish you could take a look at my diary. I'm on Atkins since February '11. I keep my carbs at 20 a day. My calories are consistently 1400-1600, which is right in line with what MFP has me at. Do you consider that a severe deficit or drastically undereating? Also, I do not intend to eat 20 carbs a day forever. When I get closer to my goal weight, I will start slowly adding back in carbs--good carbs from veggies, nuts, berries, etc. I do not intend to ever go back to eating the way I used to, because that is how I gained all my weight to begin with. What you call "normal" or the SAD, doesn't work for me. I can maintain this lifestyle, and I don't have to eat refined, processed carbs again. Anyone who quits their program and goes back to eating unhealthily will inevitably gain their weight back.