quick, healthy dinner for 1

Options
jrolfes
jrolfes Posts: 15 Member
On the nights my husband works late, I dont cook a meal for both of us. Any ideas/suggestions for some quick, healthy dinners for (1)? Im not a fan of the frozen, microwave dinners...... Looking forward to seeing what's out there.... Thanks!

Replies

• pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Last night I made a chicken breast stuffed with feta cheese and spinach with a side salad. Prep time was about 5 minutes for chicken, 1/2 hour to bake and made the salad while chicken in the oven.
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    i usually have single tilapia fillets in my freezer and i just pull those out and they thaw real fast. Squeeze lime juice on it, sprinkle some Tajin and slap it on the grill for like 5 minutes... then I will put a steamed veggie w/ it or something.
  • alz139
    alz139 Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi, I generally think a stir fry is a quick easy healthy diner. I generally do them with chicken and veg and in total it take max 15 mins. If I cant be bothered to stand over the cooker for a few mins I grab a chicken breast butterfly it to make it thinner so it cooks quicker. Anyways I add a tsp of low fat cream cheese, garlic and herbs. if I'm feeling really lazy I chop my veg and chuck it in then wrap the whole thing in the oven for about 15-20mins. Takes a bit more time than the stir fry but less effort. Hope that helps
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I suggest some of the Hungry Girl recipes. She has a daily newsletter (free) you can sign up for. A lot of her meals are for one. I have her cookbook, Easy as 1,2,3 and absolutely love it! I turn the meals for one into how many servings I need for my family when I use them. There are a lot of great recipes in there. She has other cookbooks as well. Happy cooking! :smile:
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Last night I made a chicken breast stuffed with feta cheese and spinach with a side salad. Prep time was about 5 minutes for chicken, 1/2 hour to bake and made the salad while chicken in the oven.

This sounds absolutely amazing...
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    sounds good ill have 2 try this, thanx
  • daddyssunshyne
    Options
    You could just do a large salad, add some canned chicken or cut up a chicken breast.

I often take the evenings I do cook a lot, like when family comes over and we grill to cook extra burgers and chops to feeze for fast individual meals.

I will say that we just bought a package of these Amylu Chicken Burgers at Sams or Costco, and I tried one. Really tasty! 150 calories, I added an 80 calorie wheat bun, and ate it plain. Maybe a frozen thing, but they are cooked, so it is just heating.

These are all still better than the "TV dinners" in my opinion. I am not a fan of prepackaged meals personally.

Sarah
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Check out the meal ideas and recipes here: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/vegbootcamp/mealplan

There are 28 days of vegetarian breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks. Many are "assembly" versus full recipes and many are single servings.