Running Accessories Question

Options
I'm pretty new to running and so far am holding my water bottle and putting my stuff in my armband for my Ipod. I'm ready to buy an accessory that will hold it all but am not sure if I would prefer the water bottle that has the strap with the pockets and you can adjust it to your hand (gets really good reviews) or if I should get a "fanny pack" (always said there is NO WAY I would ever get one way back when, when they were "cool") lol
Anyway, If I do get the fanny pack I still have to hold my water bottle. My thought is that I might as well get the bottle with the strap/pockets and make it more comfortable to carry???
Any thoughts?

This is the one I was looking at.....

http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Quickdraw-Handheld-22-Ounce-Carrier/dp/B001Q5ROKC/ref=sr_1_12?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1310759975&sr=1-12

Replies

• brvanover
    brvanover Posts: 52
    Options
    I have a Nathan handheld water bottle with hand strap and I love it. It's a little different
    than the one you posted.
    It's not too big to hold on long runs and it has a zip up pocket that I can
    put my keys/chapstick/sport beans in.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Camel back!
    Definitely worth the extra change, it holds water, the bottle is removable and replaceable, easy to clean and store in the refrigerator, and it holds your music player.

Do buy one in person so you can really get a handle on the size of the pack.
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    I've tried the water belt but it sloshed around too much and drove me insane. I tried the handheld kind but it also drove me insane. If I'm running outdoors, I make a point to have my own 'water stop' during my route so that I can get a quick drink and then be on my way. This is normally at my vehicle. I sit a water bottle or two on my bumper and circle back around for it.
  • CaptObvious
    CaptObvious Posts: 117
    Options
    I love the accessories at http://www.spibelt.com/spibelt.php. They have a water bottle like you posted and the belt/fanny packs. I have the SPIbelt and it is awesome. It looks tiny but it expands to hold quite a bit. It doesn't bounce or move around while I'm running. I love it. I've not used the water bottle but the pocket looks similar to the one on the belt.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i have a camelbak similar to the link you have posted. i use it only on short runs (3miles or less) anything more than that i use a camelbak hydration belt. i dont like all that bulk and wgt in my hand, it just bugs me. This is what I use on my long runs

http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-FlashFlo-Hydration-Pack-Black/dp/B00437VJV0/ref=sr_1_87?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1310761291&sr=1-87

it holds 50oz of water and lots of compartments for keys, phone, mp3 player. You cant tell you have it on, thats what i like. That and all i have to do is grab the hose and take sip, no fumbling with bottles. Now my one friend has a Nathan fuel belt that holds 2 bottles of water and she swears by it. So it all depends what you feel comfortable with
  • PuzzleGirl65
    PuzzleGirl65 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I actually want to start carrying hand weights while I walk, so I'm looking at this one: http://tinyurl.com/6ylkusv
  • dnnmccloud
    dnnmccloud Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I used to have this back pack for hiking...I threw it out b/c i had it in storage a short while and it molded, but really neat...straps in the front and a lil nozzle for you to bite down on and get water...like a straw thingy...they have them at walmart for like $20.00
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    I have a Nathan handheld water bottle with hand strap and I love it. It's a little different
    than the one you posted.

What are sport beans??
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    I used to have this back pack for hiking...I threw it out b/c i had it in storage a short while and it molded, but really neat...straps in the front and a lil nozzle for you to bite down on and get water...like a straw thingy...they have them at walmart for like $20.00

i think its called a camelback or something like that :)
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions everyone!!! :flowerforyou:
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    than the one you posted.

What are sport beans??

Sport Beans are like jellybeans (the ones I eat are made by Jelly Belly), and you can put them in your running belt for a pick-me-up on a long run. They really helped me when I did my last 10K race. You can find them at most athletic stores like ****'s Sporting Goods or Gearhead Outfitters. A friend of mine said she saw some at Wal-Mart the other day, which surprised me. There are also gels like Gu that you squirt into your mouth and follow up with water. They replace electrolytes and give you an energy boost.
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I actually have one that I used for snowmobilling. I haven't used it in ages but could did it out and clean it up! = ) But then still left with the where to put my junk.....could just stay in my IPod case I suppose = )
    Thank you for the suggestion!!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Other notes about the camel back ( I really like mine)
    you do have to clean them now and then like anything that holds water, but if you keep the empty bottle in the freezer for storage you can go longer without algae.
    you can buy backup bottles.
    the bottle in the backpack compresses while you drink, so no sloshing. If you don't fill it full at the start just turn it upside down and suck the air out.
    they have a life time guarantee.
    the backpacks come in different sizes from 50oz top over 100oz, depending on how long you plan to run.
    I just got this one http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Packs/2011-Octane-XCT.aspx
    for my kid. Lightweight, and breathable fabric. He is in the Marine Corps and goes pretty hard core in his runs to keep in shape.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I love the accessories at http://www.spibelt.com/spibelt.php. They have a water bottle like you posted and the belt/fanny packs. I have the SPIbelt and it is awesome. It looks tiny but it expands to hold quite a bit. It doesn't bounce or move around while I'm running. I love it. I've not used the water bottle but the pocket looks similar to the one on the belt.

+1 !! I got a Spibelt at my half maraton expo and it's WONDERFUL! I love it.
  • brvanover
    brvanover Posts: 52
    Options
    than the one you posted.

What are sport beans??

The Sport Beans I get are at Walmart in the section with whey protein/diet pills/slimfast. They are made by Jelly Belly.
    I only use them on long runs. I eat a pack after an hour of running or else my blood sugar gets really low and I get cold chills/goose bumps and feel sick.
    I just started using them and they work great! Each pack was only 97 cents and has 100 calories.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    This belt is it...I wear it for every long run & marathons.
  • wjassell
    wjassell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Camelbak for me on runs over 5 miles. If under 5 miles i typically don't bring water with me.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I have a camelbac and a nathan water belt. I use the Nathan for runs 3 miles or less. It also has little pockets for my crap. I got mine at www.runjunk.com