frozen pizza replacement

Options
sturgeonml2017
sturgeonml2017 Posts: 46 Member
One of my worst go to meals when I'm too tired to cook (i have a 3 month old) I've been doing good and haven't had one in 3 weeks but I'm missing them! Any healthier options that are good for freezing?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine makes a decent single serve pizza. Another option is to buy a frozen thin crust cheese pizza, then add turkey pepperoni and veggies. Turkey pepperoni is 70% less fat. I like to cut the slices into quarters, the taste is great, the texture is a bit stiff.

I love DiGiorno rising crust (it's not thin crust) but when I indulge, I eat a modest portion with a side salad. Good practice for maintenance. I'm going to have to figure out a strategy for the future too. I can never go back to eating a whole plate full of pizza.

I've never tried to make a homemade frozen pizza. I like making my own crust for a fresh pizza. If you have a bread machine you could set this on a timer & have dough ready when you need it.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Keep a jar of sauce, some shredded cheese, and cooked sausage or pepperoni in the fridge and get yourself some flatbread similar to this brand (there are other brands out there):

http://www.flatoutbread.com

Takes seconds to throw together, and cooks in a few minutes in a toaster oven. If you like veggies, you can cook your favorites up in advance to keep a week's supply on hand. I don't know if you can make them up and freeze them, but I don't see why not.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Fat Head Pizza recipe
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How many calories in your go to frozen pizza?

How many calories can you afford

Cut your portion to suit your goals and pad out with low cal salad or veg
  • sturgeonml2017
    sturgeonml2017 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    All good suggestions! Thanks guys. I was eating about a 600 calorie frozen pizza...yuck...I didn't realize. But ibwill try the premade version as suggested as well as just watch the portion sizes, as that was one thing I've been working on the most with other foods as well!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get the individual cheese pizzas. I get my pizza and the satisfaction of eating the whole thing. This is one of the brands I get:
    McCain-Deep-n-Delicious-Mini-Pizzas-3-Cheese-652g.jpg
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Keep a jar of sauce, some shredded cheese, and cooked sausage or pepperoni in the fridge and get yourself some flatbread similar to this brand (there are other brands out there):

http://www.flatoutbread.com

Takes seconds to throw together, and cooks in a few minutes in a toaster oven. If you like veggies, you can cook your favorites up in advance to keep a week's supply on hand. I don't know if you can make them up and freeze them, but I don't see why not.

This was exactly what I was going to suggest. I LOVE the little Flat Out pizza crusts. They're thin and crispy, and around 100 calories. I load em up with sauce, a serving of cheese, and veggies, and the portion size is usually perfect for me.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I always keep pizza ingredients on hand and flat out or pita (I like best). Takes under 10 mins. Just broil one side, flip, top with sauce and toppings, then broil until cheese is melted.