Found a passion then it failed...

Options
It must not be meant to be I guess... I found an old passion that I brought back to life with some soul searching (I have written about trying to find a new passion in the past). I worked towards it and was willing to take on jobs I wasn't keen on to help me work towards it. I wanted to help my fellow coworkers with PTSD.... It was a dream I had long ago but due to some deceitful people I didn't get on the team some 10 years ago. This time around the team was nominated by our peers. I am a quiet, shy person so instantly I knew I would be in trouble. I tried to speak up and let people know I wanted on the team but I hoped peoples ability to talk to me easily would shine through. It didn't, I'm afraid, and I didn't make the team.

I feel crushed. It was an old passion resurrected and then just like that all my passion and hard work got shot down and thrown in the trash. I feel bitter and upset and worse off people can't seem to see how hurt I am. Just people talking about the new team and all the really neat courses they are going to be doing has me so upset that I feel sick right down to my core.

I don't know which way to turn. How to act or where to turn or what to do next.

I simply feel lost... :'-(

Replies

• aimjolie
    aimjolie Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would kindly talk to the group in a nice way and say, listen, maybe you think I shouldn't be on your team, but I truly believe I would be an asset to this team. It has always been my dream to help people with PTSD. So I am willing to work hard and do whatever it takes to help make this team be successful. I am asking you now to please take this into consideration and let me be part of this wonderful group. I believe you won't be sorry.

If they have any kind of smarts, they should let you join the group. If they say, no then ask for their reason for rejecting you. Good luck to you! I believe you would be an asset. Please don't give up. Follow your passion! You have a dream, go for it!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I can understand why you're feeling that way, but not making the team doesn't mean you shouldn't try to do what you love. In what other ways can you follow this passion?
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    The only thing stopping you is you. What can you do to get on this team? If that's not possible at this juncture, where else can you get involved? Success isn't a straight line, but what steps can you take? Sit down, make a specific plan, and write it down. Next time an opportunity to join a team or be involved comes up, go after. State explicitly to all decision makers you want to be a part of it. If possible, ask the decision makers why you weren't picked this time so you can work on that. I know it can be scary, but you have to advocate for yourself sometimes. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there, especially if it's something you love.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    If you can't get in on this round, let the person responsible for forming the groups know that you'd love to join the next one. And keep bringing it up (but don't be annoying) whatever chance you get
  • eque_price
    eque_price Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your words of encouragement and advice! I will have to look into toastmasters. That sounds like it could definitely help me. I have spoken to one of my bosses and they said they need a small group of volunteers to be on a research and wellness team that would work behind the scenes I guess you could say for the team I wanted on. It's not exactly what I wanted but I will take it (like you guys said above:). I can still help my coworkers leaps and bounds and maybe make a big enough splash the other team may let me join in on some of their courses. Could be far fetched I'll keep hoping
  • eque_price
    eque_price Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    You seem like a really nice person - if this is indeed your 'passion' then you have to fight for it. There will be knockbacks from time to time but you need to show them you are strong. You need to show that you don't chuck in the towel (I'm sure a criteria when dealing with others problems). I get you feel lost but never show them that. I hope you keep fighting harder and get what you wan :)

Thank you
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If this is your passion then even though you didn't make this team there may be other ways to fullfil your passion! Look into other ways to help. The only one who can stop you is well you! Go for it maybe not making this particular team means there is a better way for you to help!! :)