Tracking by the numbers. 38 lbs lost so far.

Options
So as not to alarm anyone with these numbers, I am on a medically supervised weight loss program. After a lifetime of obesity, 12 years ago, I got serious and went to work on this problem. I lost over 340 lbs and kept it off for about 7 years. 562.3 - 217. I am 6'2" tall and it took 138 weeks. The first 13 weeks was on a VLCD - High Protein program and I lost 90 lbs. When you start at almost 600 that is about what you would expect. Over the next 125 weeks - diet and exercise.

When I lost my focus about 3 years ago (life happens) I let my ego keep me from getting help and addressing the issue. As a friend of mine told me "Early detection, small correction". This October, I was back to 405.5. While I was still down 156.8 from my highest weight - I was eating myself back to an early grave. I checked my ego and went back to the program that helped me the first time. I started doing all the things I had stopped doing over time. Food logging, mindful eating, exercise - making time for myself to take care of my body. If being super obese almost killed me in my 40's 12 years ago, it was sure as hell going to kill me in my 50's :smile:

Anyway, I am a computer programmer and as you can imagine I am a numbers guy. I kept my spreadsheet from 2004 - 2006 and of course I started a new one with my new commitment to get this off and hopefully not have to learn this very painful lesson again. In the picture below, is 3 summary charts. The one on the left if at the end of my 138 weeks. It shows predicted and Actuals for various time periods. While weight loss is not linear for a lot of reasons, I though it was interesting to track and see trends.
wkid1xc5sryt.jpg

The bottom line is - my success story is waking the hell up, and putting the focus back on my health, fitness and weight. I hope everyone has a great Monday. Anyone that would like to friend me, I would appreciate it - There is an old African Proverb:
bc1pfwb3lqpk.jpg

I want to go far. :smile:

Charles

Replies

• HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Well done.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    A man after my own heart! I don't have the skill to post my spreadsheet. Mine tracks my net calories, my weight, my expected weight (if 3500 calories = 1 lb fat), and also the percent difference between actual weight and expected weight I call that the "Error value". It consistently showed me that CICO works, as the Error value was consistently less than 2%. Only when my logging accuracy became suspect in a period of indiscipline did my Error value rise to 5%. That prompted me to rededicate my efforts at logging accuracy and re-initialize my spreadsheet's start point.

It's ridiculously easy to pack on hundreds of pounds thinking that it's harmless. Not enough of us live to learn better.
  • CharlesScott78
    CharlesScott78 Posts: 203 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    A man after my own heart! I don't have the skill to post my spreadsheet. Mine tracks my net calories, my weight, my expected weight (if 3500 calories = 1 lb fat), and also the percent difference between actual weight and expected weight I call that the "Error value". It consistently showed me that CICO works, as the Error value was consistently less than 2%. Only when my logging accuracy became suspect in a period of indiscipline did my Error value rise to 5%. That prompted me to rededicate my efforts at logging accuracy and re-initialize my spreadsheet's start point.

It's ridiculously easy to pack on hundreds of pounds thinking that it's harmless. Not enough of us live to learn better.

I have been cleaning up the spreadsheet I use - to make it generic so anyone could use it or take ideas from it. I am almost done. I am going to post it on an open dropbox incase anyone is interested.
    g3651jcdshy3.jpg

I have about 3 charts - this is one.
    tpzukky533ne.jpg

This is the Info. page I added to make it generic for others.

jyryqu5n8oh2.jpg

• naomillion
    naomillion Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    The fact you decided to get back on track already is a huge success, so congrats on that! With the right mindset you will surely get far. Keep it up!
  • CharlesScott78
    Options
    naomillion wrote: »
    The fact you decided to get back on track already is a huge success, so congrats on that! With the right mindset you will surely get far. Keep it up!

Thank you. I wish you continued success!
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    This is actually really interesting. Thanks for sharing! How do I get to the dropbox? Also, I can't help myself, but in relation to the "African proverb", read this http://jezebel.com/on-the-origin-of-certain-quotable-african-proverbs-1766664089 - all in good humour!
  • CharlesScott78
    Options
    Piqueaboo wrote: »
    This is actually really interesting. Thanks for sharing! How do I get to the dropbox? Also, I can't help myself, but in relation to the "African proverb", read this http://jezebel.com/on-the-origin-of-certain-quotable-african-proverbs-1766664089 - all in good humour!

Ha - I am always worried I might be attributing wrong. :smile: Whatever the origin, I still think it is a cool quote.

I just setup the folder. Let me know if you can download it. The spreadsheet is unlocked and unprotected. You might want to save a backup or come back to the link if you accidentally overwrite a formula. I am also putting my copy out there as of this week just so you can see how it works. In the blank copy, I highlighted the rows and cells that you will put data. If you see something to make it better - let me know. I love tinkering with that thing.

https://goo.gl/8KWFNy
  • CharlesScott78
    Options
    If anyone downloads the spreadsheet - let me know if you have an issues or problems.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I love the spreadsheet too. I have one that tracks my pounds lost by week and I put in a graph. and I also have one that compares my fitbit to my MFP...trying to get everything down to math. I also graph my calories per week. Its fun and I'm not eating when I'm working on it , Bonus!
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This spreadsheet is magnificent. Thanks so much for sharing. Can't wait to start seeing some trends. Many thanks and all the positive energy towards your success on your weight loss journey.
  • CharlesScott78
    Options
    This spreadsheet is magnificent. Thanks so much for sharing. Can't wait to start seeing some trends. Many thanks and all the positive energy towards your success on your weight loss journey.

That is awesome! Glad you like it. Let me know if you have any questions about it.
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your journey. everyday is a up hill battle but everyday you are a step closer.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!