Fat and depressed

I have never been "skinny" But I have been a very thin healthy weight. Within the last 5 years I've gained 60+ lbs and I'm absolutely miserable, depressed and basically hate myself for allowing my weight to plummet like it has. I would love to lose 60lbs in 6 months and could really use some advise, support and motivation.

Replies

• R4SNik
    R4SNik Posts: 37 Member
    That is a lofty goal, 10lb per month is a lot. I gained 60+ in 2 years, I'm down about 30 pounds. Still a little on the self loathing side, but working on it. The added pounds can suck the joy out of life if we let it. Only real solution is to stick with your plan of healthy eating and exercise. Best of luck.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    First piece of advice: setting a time frame can be your enemy. Like you said in your post, it took you 5 years to put that weight on, so it seems a little unreasonable for it all to come off in 6 months! Not saying it has to take you five years to take it all off, but expect it to take a little longer than 6 months, that'd be about 2.5 lbs a week which is an aggressive weight loss goal.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    For me, its just food. Its not entertainment, its not comfort. If i miss out on yummy food - so what?

If im hungry before dinner- so what? I can usually wait.

I try to eat quality food. When people talk about fast food as a treat, it baffles me.

At the end of the day, its just food. There are so many more things that give me pleasure.. Find those things for yourself.
  • KWebb84MFP
    KWebb84MFP Posts: 10 Member
    Your story is similar to my story. I got down to 152 by the time I met my now husband, and five years later (almost exactly), I'm up to 236.2. It's rough to see that, but it's also depressing to lose all that progress. We both love food so much.

Anyway, I set a more reasonable goal of losing 10% of my weight (getting me to 212.6) in six months. Like @Nikki10129 said, it didn't come on overnight, so don't expect it to come off overnight. I hope to lose more, but mainly, setting a S.M.A.R.T. goal like that is meant to get me motivated to continue and even BEAT my expectations. My diary is public, my profile pic is my most recent pic. Feel free to add me so we can motivate each other! :smile:
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    I don't love food enough to choose to regain the weight I've lost. Yet today my food plan includes cake and candy and meets my calorie and macro goals, so I don't even think I'm missing out on good food.
  • kerstenk141
    kerstenk141 Posts: 83 Member
    Nothing wrong with setting a target goal weight, but try not to put too much emphasis on when you reach that goal. Celebrate your milestone losses. Before you lose 60 you will first need to lose 10, 20, and so on. Stick with your calorie allowance and you will see results. Remember weight loss isn't just about fitting into a smaller pant size, its about your health and establishing a healthy relationship with food that is manageable for the long run. Too much emphasis on a date might make you want to try a fad diet that isn't realistic long term.

And another piece of advice. Be prepared to buy a whole new wardrobe. I aimed to lose 50lbs and it never occurred to me that even after losing 25, just about everything in my closet was going to be too large. Enjoy your journey and best of luck!