Anybody know any healthy cookbooks?

Options
kimi131
kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
I think it would be nice to have a healthy (preferably also with quick recipes, but that might be a lot to ask) cookbook that gives you the nutritional information right alongside the recipe/food pic. I don't know if such a thing exists, but if it doesn't it really should. Does anybody know of one?

Other healthy cookbook ideas also welcome. I am getting tired of the same ol', same ol'.

Replies

• Cookie22684
    Cookie22684 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Look into cooking light. I use to subscribe to the magazine but they also have books. I think I have a couple if you wanted to look at one and check it out. I think I may have some others but I will have to look. I love to cook so I have a TON of recipes.
  • jesienia
    jesienia Posts: 294
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has a cookbook that does. And the recipes are decent. Flat Belly Diet does as well.

It's not cookbooks, but Vegetarian TImes and Everyday Food both have amazing recipes! and they also include nutritional information.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I google recipes, or have them sent to me from cooking light or any other health food magazine. I make them, if I like them they go into a 3 ring binder, if they suck... they go in the trash! I think its a great way to keep the things you really like together. I have bought cookbooks but find I really only like a few or will only try a few of the recipes and then they are just a big book taking up space!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Appetite for Reduction is a yumm cookbook. It's vegan, but everything I've tried from it has been amazing (and I'm a meat eater).... I also second Cooking Light magazine. They have a 5 ingredient cookbook out that's fairly decent.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Moosewood Lowfat Favorites (Vegetarian)
    I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening (super quick meals!)
    Sonoma Diet Cookbook
    Eating Well also has a couple of cookbooks that are pretty good
    Simply Mediterranean

These are all on my counter as "go to" cookbooks when I'm in a rut.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    A cookbook I find really helpful is "Let There Be Lite: An Illuminating Guide to Delicious Low-Fat Cooking" by Jay Disney.

http://www.amazon.com/Let-There-Lite-Illuminating-Delicious/dp/0879515767

I took a cooking class from Disney when I lived in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago. Not only are the recipes simple, the rest of the family and guests will like the food. Additionally, Disney gives great advice for planning meals for an entire week. His recommendation is to do all the shopping and prep work in advance, freezing some items for later in the week, marinating other items for use mid-week, and eating the most perishable foods (like fish) on the prep day.
  • maragayle
    maragayle Posts: 1
    Options
    The 300 Calorie Cookbook:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470080590

Healthy in a Hurry:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0881506877

I forget which one has it, but one of these has an excellent recipe for chicken stuffed with fontina cheese and carmelized red onion. I think it's the Healthy in a Hurry cookbook.

I bought both of these in January and have experimented a little. What I've tried has been good and filling.
  • Mzliv
    Mzliv Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers has some cookbooks. Also, Cook Yourself Thin, I don't have the book, but there website has lots of great recipes
  • lhanson14
    lhanson14 Posts: 1
    Options
    hungry girl cookbooks! They are the bomb....
  • jen_the_great
    jen_the_great Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm going through Crazy Plates right now. The meals are easy to make and the notes in the margins are cute!
  • Grace139
    Grace139 Posts: 12
    Options
    I love e-mealz.com For $5.00 a month you get weekly recipes that are easy to make. Each week has the recipes and a shopping list. It's awesome if you're on a budget too. I use the Wal-Mart points plan, even though I'm not on weight watchers. I know that each week I'll have recipes that are healthy and within my budget. And the best part is, I don't have to spend hours going through recipe books. I do replace some meals if I know my husband or kids won't eat something, but they make it easy to eliminate ingredients from the shopping list and give you room to add your own items. I know I sound like an advertisement, but I really do love it!
  • rlcott2231
    rlcott2231 Posts: 11
    Options
    The flat belly cookbook has amazing recipes that are really desirable but healthy/ lower cal. Love it .
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I bought the Cook Yourself Think cookbook on clearance and will plan to start using this next week
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I like Cook Yourself Thin, Cook Yourself Thin Faster and anything by Ellie Krieger. They don't rely too heavily on chemical "Frankenfood," and there are lots of recipes that look appetizing.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Cook this not that! I also like Eat this Not That, there are several versions and they are all great! David Zinczenko. Awesome website!!
  • Marjorielk
    Marjorielk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Looneyspoons, Crazy Plates are 2 great low fat cookbooks.
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    I have one called Cooking Light - by Better Homes and Gardens.

I picked it up at Borders.... It is pretty good because each recipe has all of the nutritional info with it... plus most of them are easy/quick to make.
  • girlontheseesaw
    Options
    Great recipes in this, and nutrional breakdown for every dish
    http://www.amazon.com/500-20-Minute-Recipes-Fabulous-breakfasts/dp/B0046LUMPM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310844677&sr=8-2

I'm actually in the UK and it's available here, too (all measurements are given in both imperial and metric)
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I like Cook Yourself Thin, Cook Yourself Thin Faster and anything by Ellie Krieger. They don't rely too heavily on chemical "Frankenfood," and there are lots of recipes that look appetizing.

I second the Ellie Krieger books. Even though I am not in the US, I saw her programmes on Sky's Good Food channel and I lover her food. Got 2 books from her and have tried a few out. Love love love the spicy nuts in one of the books. Soooooo good.

Going to try the satay recipe soon too. Love chicken satay.