New and Looking for a Buddy

Options
Hi, all! My name is Niki, I'm 24 and I live in Kentucky. I've been overweight since my first pregnancy (that was nearly 8 years ago now), and though I've tried to lose it, I've never had much luck. I'd start out fired up, but then my anxiety would show its ugly face and my fire would quickly burn out. Fortunately, after a long, 10 year battle, I've managed to get my anxiety in check, so I figure it's now time to jump back on the wagon and get my weight in check, too. Of course, from experience I know that losing weight and getting healthy isn't something that's easy to do alone, so I made this post to see if anyone might be interested in becoming my weight loss buddy. I'm open to any and all friends, so if you'd like to, please feel free to add me. That said, I'm also looking for a sort of 1-on-1 type of buddy. Basically, someone with similar weight loss goals that would be willing to message back and forth as a way to sort of keep each other accountable.

---Some Info About Me---
Name: Niki
Current Weight: 255 lbs
Goal Weight: 125 lbs (130 lbs to lose)
Hobbies & Interests: Gaming, History, Culture, Languages, Sewing, Animals, Programming, Reading, Music

Replies

• rollingthunder_80
    Options
    If i obsessed about losing i would fail. So i ignored the weight loss ans concentrated on changing my habits first. I guess they say it takes 21 days to change/break a habit. I would check my weight once a month or so. Its easy to give up when you drop 5lbs 1st week and then gain 2 back, when in reality its your body adjusting to so many things. My anxiety would get the best of me and i would give up. With the habit change the weight will drop. I dont call it a diet. Diets fail. Its a life changer. I lost 90 lbs and i fell off the wagon due to life being a pain the *kitten* and im jumpin back on before it gets out of hand again. Good luck!
  • retailmagpie
    retailmagpie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm so awful at 'technology'. Don't know how to add you, lovely. But oh my God, I could have written this. I need to lose 100lbs, got two kids under 3 (although I can't really blame them for the weight gain. It happened over a long period of time). Want to be healthier for my boys (and any future pregnancy! You never know. Last one was hell). Log daily. Be lovely to have someone to chat to. Oh, I'm 29 by the way and live in U.K. X
  • Trent1121
    Trent1121 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey Niki, You may want to get a personal trainer. I am not one but they have helped me set realistic expectations and not lose weight to fast as your body will adjust and you have to work even harder than normal if you aren't doing it with the right amount of exercise, nutrition and rest.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hi Niki. You can do this! MFP makes it pretty easy. The key is to eat less than you burn each day. By logging each of your meals, you can track your calories. That helps you make better eating decisions. You can also log your exercise and decide to eat back the calories or not (I often do).

My advice--which has worked for me--is to focus on the small successes rather than the big intimidating weight loss goal. Log your meals daily, shoot for modest calorie deficits daily, do something active daily, and celebrate each one.

Each time you hit your calorie target is a success. In fact, each time you eat less than your maintenance level is a success. Each time you do something active is a success. Each time you skip dessert is a success (although it isn't necessary, as long as it fits within your calorie budget). Each time you take the stairs instead of an elevator is a success. Each one of those successes is a gift to yourself that contributes to your long-term health and well-being. If you make them a habit, you will lose weight.

Doing those things, I have lost about 40 points over the last 9 or 10 months--not the fastest, perhaps, but I plan to lose 10-30 more and keep it off long-term.

Feel free to add me if you like. I'm happy to share support and encouragement with you.