What happened to my PB???

Options
So I have been looking for law calorie / fat / sodium peanut butter and about two weeks ago I found Kraft Sensible Solutions All Natural Peanut Butter which was, a little less in all that.

So I put it in my cupboard and forgot about it until last night when I brought it out to put on a whole wheat tortilla with cut up banana in it. When I opened the lid there was about 1.5 inches of what looked like pure oil!! I didn't know what it was... do I mix it up? What do I do? So I just ended up pooring it down the sink and mixed up the peanut butter below it (which I ended up eating and it ended up tasting fine...).

Question: What WAS that???

I didn't look on the label to see if it needed to be refrigerated... should I have done that? I don't usually put my PB in the fridge...

Anyone have this before???

Replies

• wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I bet it was just the natural oil from peanuts that separated.
  • comcatee
    comcatee Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Usually natural peanut butter does separate out some. Just stir it up and you are good to go. Also store it in the refrigerator.
  • ArtieKuhn88
    Options
    :smile: That's good peanut oil! Next time just mix it up girl. Seperation is totally natural. Pun intended.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Its normal, you can refrigerate it to avoid the seperation, but I never do. However, you probably poured a bunch of calories down the drain, because I think the calories in peanuts are from the oil! (not that its bad oil or anything...)
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    what I typically when I get home from the store, I store in the fridge and store it upside down so the oil goes back in and then when I open I then mix...
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Some of the "natural" peanut butters separate. Adams does, I know. It's because the fat is unsaturated/nonhydrogonated - at room temp it looks like oil. Go ahead and mix it up ... but you'll have to almost every time!
  • Jcmantler
    Jcmantler Posts: 2
    Options
    hahahaha no offense but until now you've just never bought real peanut butter!!! If you want to step it up a notch try this one "http://www.naturallymore.com/" its my favorite, VERY tasty (and will be separated when you buy it). you'll notice too its even lower than the one you bought in calories (fat is supposed to be high because nuts are high, if you dont want fat and calories don't eat pb)
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    its Normal :) Try storing it upsidedown well thats what i was told to do lol the oil makes it a litle creamier if you mix it up (i think it does anyways)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Real peanut butter has no emulsifiers or oils (besides peanut oil), so it separates. Just stir it up :) Might take some elbow grease.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Everybody's got this pretty well covered. Just wanted to add that ALL natural nut butters, not only peanut butter, will seperate this way unless refrigerated.