First week

Options
This week I've logged everything I ate daily and honestly. Almost daily I went over my calorie budget (which is 1420). Some days I was close...others a total bust. I may have even gained a lb. Anyway, I do not look at this as a total miss though because I learned that I grossly underestimate how much I eat and i learned how unaware I have been of my poor habits.

So going into next week, what strategies would anyone suggest to be more successful?

I have a sweet tooth lately and I can hardly resist the temptation. My fiance keeps sugary sweets around but he doesn't struggle with weight.

Replies

• ashmicpear
    ashmicpear Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! Those are great tips. I can't wait to start!
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    when you want it bad enough it won't matter what kind of food is lying around the house. that's my personal experience anyways and it took a long time and alot of failures to get there.
  • sy_19440
    sy_19440 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Meal plan and food prep work best for me.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Log all that you eat and drink and plan each day's food, take one day st a time, don't let a bad day turn into a bad week and then month. Good luck
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I lost using the strategy of telling myself I could eat absolutely anything I want as long as I can make it fit in my calories, so I either had to eat a tiny portion or exercise to earn extra calories for the day. Pretty quickly I started making better choices about what was worth it and what wasn't. Before I just ate all the things;)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Keep going whatever happens. If you eat something you didn't mean to, don't let it derail you and don't fall into the fatal trap of "oh, I've ruined it now, I might a well stop logging and eat everything in sight". Log everything. That's my only rule. I can eat whatever, I can go over calories, but I have to log it. Eating stops being mindless, calories stop being invisible and over time it changes your whole attitude to food.

I second the high cupboard idea for treats, if it's above my eye line I tend to forget it exists. Over time I have become less tempted by these things, but it can be really helpful if you're finding it hard to resist.

Good luck! Your attitude is great and I think you're going to do well.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    You're doing great: Stick with it! If you don't achieve your goals one day, log it, get back on track as soon as you can, and just persist with that as much and as long as possible.

+1 to "treats out of sight" and "log everything" strategies.

One thing that helped me with cravings for sugar-y sweets was to strive to eat 2-3 servings of whole fruit every day. Yes, they're sweet, but also less calorie-dense and more nutrition-dense, so may quell the cravings. (Doesn't have to be fresh fruit, if that's hard in your region. Can be frozen/unsweetened, for example. But fresh apples are fairly affordable in a lot of areas, along with citrus at this time of year.)

Doesn't work for everyone, but I'm not the only one who's found this useful.
  • Tanafee
    Tanafee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is my first week too! i hope I can get started for the New Year! Will be more thoughtful and mindful when I eat. My appetite has decreased because i find myself tossing food and i had to waste food
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Food selection will definitely make things easier for you. It's not so much a matter of some foods being "better" than others when we're trying to lose, but some are more satisfying, and you won't need to eat as much of them in order to feel as if you've had enough.

I avoid sugary foods in favor of protein and fat not because sugar is "bad" for me, but because with the same number of calories the sugary foods leave me much hungrier much sooner. (It's actually fat that's bad for me because cholesterol, so I rely on complex carbs as well.)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    ashmicpear wrote: »
    This week I've logged everything I ate daily and honestly. Almost daily I went over my calorie budget (which is 1420). Some days I was close...others a total bust. I may have even gained a lb. Anyway, I do not look at this as a total miss though because I learned that I grossly underestimate how much I eat and i learned how unaware I have been of my poor habits.

So going into next week, what strategies would anyone suggest to be more successful?

I have a sweet tooth lately and I can hardly resist the temptation. My fiance keeps sugary sweets around but he doesn't struggle with weight.

At least you got into the habit. Keep it up!!