21 year old college student trying to break a family cycle

Options
Hello everyone!

My name is Stephanie and I am a 21 year old college student who has had a long struggle with weight. These weight problems, however, are not unique to just me. My grandfather, my mother, and just about everyone on my grandfather's side of the family was/is obese. In fact, when I was five, my grandfather died from complications due to diabetes. My mother, following in her father's footsteps got up to 400 lbs until she went on Jenny Craig and lost 244lbs. Before my mother started dieting, however, my weight problems had already been established, as I was eating just like everyone else had been. Then, when my mom went on Jenny Craig, she would force me to workout with her, so I became more active, but my weight never really decreased, as my eating habits never changed.

Then, when I reached middle school, I became self conscious about my body and tried crash dieting. I lost 40 lbs in two months by eating under 1000 calories a day. Because I was in starvation mode, however, I could not retain the weight loss and gained back everything I had lost plus more. Literally, by the ninth grade, I had reached the 200s after getting down to 140lbs from a starting weight of 180lbs. By this point, my mom was also struggling to maintain her weight loss would either put both of us on these strange fad diets, or at the other end of the spectrum, eat cookies and cakes with me. One diet made us drink shakes every morning, another had us eat these "energy" bars before every meal. Due to this, my weight yo-yoed between 205-220 for about two years. By the time, I was a high school senior, I gave up on dieting and was in the high 220s.

Starting college marks a turning point in my health, however. First off all, my college requires that we take three semesters of PE. After completing turbo kickboxing, yoga, and step-aerobics, I realized how fun exercise was and no longer needed to be forced to do it. Because old habits are hard to break, once I was done with my required courses, my weight skyrocketed to 250 lbs. One weekend, when I went home and saw my mother, who had gained most of her weight back by that point, I decided that at 250 I could either go up or go down, and I decided to go down. I started monitoring my portion sizes, eating balanced meals, drinking water, and exercising and have since lost a total of 33lbs. I maintained a 25 lb weight loss for a whole year and have lost an additional 8lbs after joining MFP a few weeks ago.

Because I am 5'9 with a larger bone structure, my goal weight is 175 lbs. My weight loss, has encouraged my mother to get back on Jenny Craig and hopefully, we can both be healthy together. Still, I need as much support as I can get because I have the tendency to become complacent with my current weight which causes me to lose the motivation to want to lose more.
Thanks, everyone! Good luck with your journeys and please add me as a friend. :smile:

Replies

• Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    It's wonderful that you are trying to break that cycle, my experience has been very similar to yours. Good luck to you...MFP is a great way to get started!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I can relate to a family history of obesity. Its hard sometimes - my sister and her husband have decided to become more healthy - but theres still my two brothers and their wives as well as my parents thats arent on board this ship (yet). I am hoping watching me lose an entire person they will climb on board ;)

Koodos to you for doing this the right way! I also lost a lot by starving myself - then gained a CRAP load back. Its hard to work hard -but I am learning to love it even more everyday!
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    That is an incredible story! With that mindset I know you will do very well on here. Congratulations on maintaining your weight loss. Healthy just feels THAT much better!
  • radgurl08
    radgurl08 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hey I'm in the same boat. I'm also I 21 yr old college student. AND I'm 6'0" and 235 and my mother is also quite heavy and so are some other family members! Doing college and loosing weight sucks so just hang in there!!!!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    A big Welcome to you! My father's side of the family contains the bigger person genes, and when he passed away and his family came up here I saw it all in front of me.. Still took me 7 years to get my act together, but believe me it's possible... Good luck!!
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I will add you! I completely understand the family dynamic you are talking about. Though my Father's side of the family is smaller, my mother's side is not and those are the genes I got stuck with! I remember since middle school my mom's weight yo-yoing and she never put pressure on me about my weight until I expressed interested in dieting, but I sincerely believe that watching her taught me how to eat and behave and how to look at my body in a very unhealthy way. We also became diet buddies and went on every fad diet you can imagine. I remember being 13 sneaking whatever diet pill she had been on. I lost alot of weight before high school and kept it off with sports, but also with over-excessive exercise and laxatives. I gained it all back once I moved to college and moved in my bf and couldn't hide the unhealthy habits from him. I also didn't have time for 4 exercise classes a day. So, it's been a few years, but here I am married with a 1yr old and working (a healthy, maintainable way I hope) toward a body that I am happy with myself. I love my mother but it has taken me a long time to build confidence and love for myself. I am sad that she has had to live with that unacceptance of herself for her whole adult life but I refuse to do the same! My biggest motivator is that I want to be a happy example of health and confidence for my child/future children. I never want my son to remember me on crazy diets and I'd actually be happy if he never even heard me say the word diet lol! Good luck on breaking the chain. I know you can do it!!!
  • stephiebam
    stephiebam Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! I really appreciate it! I believe that we can all do this! One meal at a time. :smile: