easy veggie recipes...here's mine, what's yours?

Options
VeganInTraining
VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
now that farmers market is back, I am LOVING eating fresh veggies. How do you like to cook or prepare your market fresh veggies? Here's one of my fav super easy recipes

1/4 an eggplant cut in small cubes
1 zuccini sliced
minced garlic
Olive oil
1 or 2 tomatoes chopped
fresh basil
crushed red pepper
choice of pasta or rice

Sautte eggplant and zuccini in garlic and olive oil untill crisp.
Add chopped tomatoe, basil, and red peppers cover and cook on low heat until tomatoe is is soft.
Thow it on top of pasta or rice and it is delicious.

I have eaten it both hot and chilled. I would also add fresh uncooked mushrooms but they don't have them at my farmers market so I never think to buy them at the grocery store. I pretty much to a million variations of this depending on what veggies I end up buying but for me, the key is the tomatoe

Replies

• byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I like just chopping my fresh veggies, putting a little olive oil, S&P, and roasting them in the oven at 400 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. And sometimes when they're done roasting I will sprinkle on some freshly grate parm. Quick and easy is what I like.
  • pixelled
    pixelled Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Grilled Zucchini! Quick, easy & delicious. Not sure if it's ok to link to your own site but I have pics posted here: http://www.oneburntpixel.com/2011/04/grilled-zucchini/

Basically just wash whole zucchini and slice thinly lengthwise. Place on foil and drizzle with olive oil and spices of your choice (I use fresh ground pepper, lemon pepper and minced garlic). Flip zucchini after a few minutes to brown up each side… And done!
  • spinurbuttoff
    Options
    Take baby bell peppers, cut off the tops and stuff each with a wedge of Laughing cow cheese (any kind). Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes...they are so yummy!!!
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    either 2 cups diced tomato & 1/4c water (dark red) or can petite diced w juice
    8-10 fresh Basil torn up
    a tbsp dried Basil
    tsp black pepper
    tsp red pepper
    tbsp light Olive oil
    tbsp balsamic vinegar

bring all to boil in sauce pan for 2-5 min & allow to simmer for another 10.

perfect as sauce for margherita style pizza on flat bread or w some crusty bread French or Italian ... or heck I eat it like a soup.

basically a bruchetta
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    yummy!
  • TheSarahHill
    TheSarahHill Posts: 185
    Options
    Chop up red onion and mushroom (lots of them) fry in a tiny bit of olive oil. Add minced fresh garlic and a splash of white wine. Then add low fat creme fraiche (tbsp), a pinch of salt and lots of black pepper. Leave to simmer for a while until the flavours are at your taste. It's yummy as a side for grilled chicken breast or steak etc. Or even on top of your pasta!
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    Slice eggplant, peppers or other favorites, spray or brush with olive oil and throw on the grill for a couple minutes - Yummy! Sometimes we experiment with spices and seasonings.
  • jklm
    jklm Posts: 281
    Options
    great!
  • RobynFaye133
    Options
    what is an eggplant? ive never known what it is! xD im British we only have bangers and mash or tea :laugh: haha
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I HATE cooking. Here are my easy veggie 'recipes' ready?

1. Easy
    Asparagus:

Turn on Foreman Grill
    Grab a handful of stalks out of the fridge
    Put stalks on Foreman Grill
    Sprinkle sea salt over them
    Close Foreman Grill
    Walk Away
    4-6mins later walk back
    Take them off the grill
    Put them on a plate
    Eat :)

2. Easier
    Cucumbers:

Take out of fridge
    Peel like a preschooler's art project
    Slice
    Put in bowl
    Eat ;)

3.Easiest
    Spinach

Take out of fridge
    Put in bowl
    Add light Caesar or Honey Dijon
    Eat :):)

And there you have it, I'm Miami's most uncivilized housewife :) lol
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    I HATE cooking. Here are my easy veggie 'recipes' ready?

1. Easy
    Asparagus:

Turn on Foreman Grill
    Grab a handful of stalks out of the fridge
    Put stalks on Foreman Grill
    Sprinkle sea salt over them
    Close Foreman Grill
    Walk Away
    4-6mins later walk back
    Take them off the grill
    Put them on a plate
    Eat :)

2. Easier
    Cucumbers:

Take out of fridge
    Peel like a preschooler's art project
    Slice
    Put in bowl
    Eat ;)

3.Easiest
    Spinach

Take out of fridge
    Put in bowl
    Add light Caesar or Honey Dijon
    Eat :):)

And there you have it, I'm Miami's most uncivilized housewife :) lol

Love thsi! :) I also like to slice cucs, add apple cider vinigar, salt and pepper and let sit in the fridge for an hour-a few days...it's like pickles but no
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    what is an eggplant? ive never known what it is! xD im British we only have bangers and mash or tea :laugh: haha

I think the best way to describe eggplant is that it's like a purple squash. Google it, for some images, they are super yummy!.....mmmmm banger and mash!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    This one is easy to do and super-easy for later... you make little mini-quiches that you can stick in the freezer. Then when you need a snack or meal, take one or two, nuke 'em for 30 seconds, and eat. I often make a batch on the weekends & then have them at work all week.
    This recipe is for frozen spinach, but I don't see why you couldn't use chopped fresh spinach or kale. Just probably don't cook it as long.
    Spinach mini-quiche:
    Grease a couple of muffin tins (recipe fills 12 cups).
    Mix up six large eggs and a little black pepper to taste.
    Slightly defrost a 10-oz package of frozen spinach. Divide it into the muffin tins.
    Add a small spoonful of salsa on top.
    Pour some of the egg mixture into each cup (I use an ice cream scoop).
    Top with cheese (I like to just sprinkle some Parmesan).
    Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. If you're using fresh veggies, I'd start with 20 minutes, then check whether a toothpick comes out clean. If it does, it's done. If not, 5 more minutes then repeat the test.
    Remove from oven, let sit for 15 minutes, and they pop right out.
  • kls310
    kls310 Posts: 9
    Options
    bump
  • Thamantha
    Thamantha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    for those in the UK eggplant = aubergine
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Think it's an Aubergine :smile: