Is losing .5/week an unreasonable goal for me currently?

Options
I'm not overweight but would like to lose another 15-20 lbs, I'm prepared for it to come
off slowly and am giving myself all of next year to do it. I'm 5'5.5" and 141 currently, hoping to end up around 120-125. Is .5/ week a lot at this point with only that much to lose or is that a pretty reasonable expectation?

Replies

• Calimama123
    Calimama123 Posts: 128 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Very reasonable and won't require as much of a deficit as say a pound per week. So you'll be less grumpy. B)

It won't be linear, but stick to your goal. Some weeks might be less than .5 pounds and some might be a bit more.[/quote]

I'd much rather do it slowly and not go crazy on really low calories!! Right now I'm at about 1550/day with about a half hour of running 5 days a week, just playing around wth different calorie levels this past year I really can't drop below 1500 or I'm starving and it never ends well :#
  • mila_lova
    mila_lova Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    @Calimama123 My stats and goals are similar to yours! I'm 5'6 and 148. My original goal was to get to 120, but after doing some reading I'm thinking I'll want to stop and do body recomposition at some point, I'm just not sure where yet. Anyway, thanks for posting this thread! It's nice to know I can expect to lose ~.5 lb each week!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    0.5lb per week seems very reasonable.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft5 and 135lbs and losing the last 5lbs on 1550 net to lose 0.5lbs per week.

its slow, and frustrating and i have to be VERY consistent to see the loss.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I'm very happy to see this thread as you usually get it the other way where people with little to lose try to lose at a 2lb/week rate.

Good for you, OP. You're being very reasonable.

As mentioned above, consistency is key. Small detail counts at this stage.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Extremely reasonable. I actually hit goal of 135lb (5'5", 41f) in September. I've been doing a recomp since, eating at maintenance and doing Strong Curves.

Technically I was eating at maintenance since mid July and lifting heavy that whole time. Slow loss from there to September but it was very easy on the system since I had plenty to eat at 1790-2000 a day.