Time for a change. (130 lbs to lose)

Options
My life has been changing a lot in the past few months. I accepted a job with a bluegrass band and will be traveling all over the United States starting in February. It will be a lifestyle change for me. I'm currently 310 pounds. I have gained about 30 pounds in the last year as I had a fairly sedentary lifestyle. I hovered around 270 for about 5 years. I have always been heavier and I am only 22. I would like to change my life and lose a lot of this weight.

My goal is to hit 180 pounds. This is 130 pounds down from my current weight. I have a pretty busy schedule and am looking for suggestions on how to exercise without a lot of equipment. I won't be able to have a super special diet as I do not buy the groceries for the house. I will be cutting down on what eat and as of January 1st I'll be giving up any type of soda/coffee as I cannot have caffeine for my new job with the band (my vocal chords are caffeine sensitive).

Is walking an effective way to lose weight? I definitely would have time and the space for it. I have a treadmill that I haven't used in a long time that I can get out as well.

Give me any advice you can!

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Walking will be a great start for you. Not sure if it is effective for weight loss. I think people get mixed reviews on that. I have a friend that walked 5 miles 6 times per week but never lost a pound. So, it really depends on how robust your walk is and how many calories you eat. Whether or not the walk causes weight loss, though, isn't the most important thing. The fact that you will be MOVING is going to benefit you in so many ways.

If you want to lose weight, just stick to your calorie goal as set in MyFitnessPal and gradually ease into exercise.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    What cliche should I use.

How about "You can't outwalk a bad diet".

"You lose weight in the kitchen"

So log your food, figure out your calorie limit to end up with a reasonable weight loss and start walking because it is good for you, not to lose weight. I actually like the treadmill (but seem to be in the minority) as I can zone out and watch tv on it. But it doesn't contribute that much to weight loss. I've lost more because I'm eating ~1,000 cals under my maintenance level.

Started at ~330 in Aug/Sept and down to just under 280.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    My highest weight was 330. I'm currently 285. It's taken awhile because I got pregnant, had a baby, and nursed for a year without trying to lose weight after he was born... But I walk and do low impact aerobics as my only exercise for now. You have to eat at a calorie deficit, which is the calorie goal MFP will give you. But walking is a decent way to help offset any little "oops I went over by a little" and a good start to exercising regularly.

Good luck to you. :)
  • circlek31
    circlek31 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    what about the couch to 5k program. it tells you when to walk and when to run. you can do that one on the treadmill
  • TrynaGetHealthy2017
    Options
    Log good and bad days no matter what!!! Down that water, and move(walking helped me loose tons of weight) I make sure I get my 10,000+, drink tons of water and just very active!!! You can do this, I sent a friend request to you :)
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You are smart to start at a young age! How about putting your favorite music on and just dancing? You can also buy some workout dvds. If you are moving, you are burning :smile:
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new job, sounds amazing. Love me some bluegrass! As others have mentioned, eat at a reduced rate even if it is quitting one thing at a time, like you mentioned caffine/soda. Do this for a few weeks, then one more thing. (Mine was sides like fries, chips, etc.. with lunch). You have a whole new life starting out, what better way to really just do a "LIFE REBOOT". Picture yourself accepting the CMA award and what it will feel like to own the world, who do you want to see on that stage? Wishing you the best in everything life is providing you!
  • steveabode
    steveabode Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi Jader
    I'd be inclined to go with thinking about things realistically-- as your life is going to be quite hectic, I would add three daily things to your life:
    2- protein supplement drinks-- available in many flavours (vegetarian/vegan options too)
    4- No's per day-- you'll crave cr*p at least 8 times per day, so resist at least half of them
    8- cups of water per day-- without fail, every day... it'll help you get off the caffeine etc and start activating that energy that is currently hanging around your waist-- think of it as potential energy and you'll know that it CAN be got rid of over time!!!

Realistically, 8-10 pounds loss per month is viable-- any more is probably unhealthy, so think Halloween 2017 for the dip under 200 pounds then drive hard for a Christmas 180something :)

The really important one though is to ditch the scales and buy a tape measure. Measure your neck, bust, waist, hips and thighs every two weeks and log the shrinkage; weigh yourself on the same day, once a month only, as weekly weight fluctuations (especially for pre-menopausal women) can cause big consternation.

If you're gigging, I'd let the increasing amount of wolf-whistles from an appreciative crowd be your gauge of improvement ;D
  • Melo_65
    Melo_65 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh I love Bluegrass music. Congrats on the job! I'm Nearly 52 and wish I had started young getting serious. Walking is a good way to relieve stress and exercise. I'm walking stairs as well to get more cardio and you can usually find stairs most everywhere. There are also tons of videos and exercises on the internet you can do in small spaces without machines. I'm doing a plan where they focus not so much on what but how you eat and I've lost 35 lbs. struggling through this holiday but trying my best to stay strong. Keep us updated!
  • sdmrtn86
    sdmrtn86 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new job and adventure! I am on my own journey to lose 200+ pounds, and I am starting out by walking. It is a great, yet easy way to start getting the body in motion!
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - this sounds so exciting! You mentioned that you weren't the one buying the food for the house, but that doesn't mean you CAN'T buy food for yourself. Any physical activity is great, but how many calories you eat is going to be the biggest factor in your weight loss. You can absolutely be successful even with somebody else doing all grocery shopping, I just think that makes it a bit harder. Best of luck to you. I hope you have the time of your life!
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Wii_Player wrote: »
    You are smart to start at a young age! How about putting your favorite music on and just dancing? You can also buy some workout dvds. If you are moving, you are burning :smile:

That part. People say walking does not help but I have been doing walk videos for almost two years and i have lost over 100 lbs. Do I monitor and log what I eat? Of course but I believe the exercise helps as well.