Calories and vacation

Options
When I go to Disney world in April how do I know if my meals are low calorie

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Do the restaurants at Disney World post their nutrition information online?
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Calories don't exist on vacation.

My diet consists of starbucks, main street goods, mickey mouse waffles and dole whip while I'm down there. I always lose at least 2lbs!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Doesn't look like they post the actual nutritional information online. I've read that they tend to have a book at the restaurants that contain the ingredients for things like food allergies. Your best bet may be to browse the restaurants you're interested in and their menus which are posted on their website and use similar dishes from other well known restaurants to estimate calories. Also, avoiding the obvious things that pack in the calories like fries, soda and huge portions. I'm not sure on their rules but I imagine you could pack a healthy snack to eat while at the park and either cook your own meals at your hotel or eat at places you have more information on their calorie content. Honestly in the end I don't pay that close attention to food while on vacation. It's supposed to be a well deserved break from life. And unless you go full glutton while on vacation, I highly doubt you'll gain much weight back in just a couple days.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The fact that you walk about 10 thousand miles a day at DisneyWorld will help counter any high calorie eats. Use common sense when you can - of course there are always hidden calories but do your best with what you have - the restaurants will probably have healthier choices than the places selling only fried food (plus you get to sit and rest your feet in a/c). Enjoy and have fun!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    If I am on a short holiday, say, a weekend trip, I just guestimate - eg a burger is the same as a similar one on the database

If it is longer, say, a fortnight, I just give myself a break from logging - and try to eat reasonably sensibly without actually counting or even 'guess-counting'
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Just eat the turkey sandwich. Enjoy yourself and enjoy your trip. Order a salad if you'd rather do that. Try to work out at the hotel gym if there is one. If not don't sweat it, you'll likely be active enough. But if you can't take a week to enjoy, what you're doing can't be sustainable.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cnjg420 wrote: »
    It's a 7 day trip and I know that even a turkey sandwich can have a lot of caliries

Oh well... best never go on holiday then....
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    Yes losing weight usually takes a while - I didnt have great amount to lose and still took me 10 months to lose it all.

and of course, maitenance is forever

Meanwhile: Life - live it and enjoy it, you cant ( I hope!) not go on holiday because of calorie counting.

Either guestimate or take a short break from logging. If you have a smartphone or tablet you can still scan barcodes and you might even be able to take your scales with you and weigh some things you eat in your hotel room.

and of course still try to make sensible choices - enjoy without going silly overboard. Dont super size or drink sugary soft drinks or cakes all day. But dont stress every detail either.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    7 days is not a long time in the grand scheme of life. Enjoy yourself, don't go mad with food and return to your diet when you return.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I spent 8 nights at Disney World at the end of October/beginning of November. Didn't log, and basically ate and drank to my heart's content. As in, tons of sweets, rich meals, and many many beers (so many craft beers at the Food and Wine Festival!).

I worked out in my room one morning for about a half hour. The rest of my exercise on the trip was walking. And walking. And walking. I hit 20,000+ steps every day.

When I got home, I had only gained 1/2 a pound. And it was totally worth it.

I am going on an all-inclusive at the end of January, and will be exercising and more conscious of my food intake while I'm there, as it will be a relaxing vacation and not a busy one. But in Disney you're likely to burn most of the calories you consume.

Have fun and enjoy!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    You're at Disneyworld eat whatever you want.
  • Melany502
    Melany502 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't count on vacation and I especially don't at Disney (my favorite place in the world!) we do so much walking there I never gain and I eat whatever I want. Have fun!!!
  • Melany502
    Melany502 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My profile pic is actually from food and wine festival at Epcot lol
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    cnjg420 wrote: »
    So if I don't count calories for the week and just eat what I want how many pounds extra could I come home with

Depends what you eat and what you do. There's no hard and fast answer, especially with hypotheticals, so best to just move on and not worry about it. You're doing yourself a disservice by overthinking it because you won't get any answers.