HELP WITH CRAZY DOG!!

Options
semeyer
semeyer Posts: 282 Member
Yes this is my little buddy in the picture, and he has the worst seperation anxiety I have ever seen!!!

I adoped Vince in April and since owning him his speration anxiety has gotten progressively worse. I'm talking full out destruction. We started kennel trainging him which was going well and all of a sudden a switch flipped with that and he will do ANYTHING to escape. He has ripped off the door adn after having to bike lock it shut, he has chewed thru the entire plastic bottom of the kennel and escape. I don't know what to do! When we are home, he loves the kennel, he will go in willingly and lounge and lay, bu as soon as the door shut behind us in the morning, crazy dog!

I don't know whether to buy another kennel or bite the bullet and enroll him into Doggy Day Care ($400/mo) At this point, he is doing more monetary damage in my home than that so it would actualyl be a saving.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have two shepherds and one we have nicknamed 'houdini' she can escape EVERYTHING! Our last resort was a completely metal kennel, it has 3 latches on the front....but these were not good enough, so we locked all three latches and put a climbing clip on the top, side, and bottome....nope....now she's getting out the back......bought 5 feet of chain and 'sewed' the back panels together.......nope nope nope she STILL got out.....but we fianlly got it.....now on the front door there are the 3 original latches, the 3 climbers clips, and 2 bunge cords on the side from the door to the side of the kennel and a bunge cord on the top holding the door shut, and of course the chian on the back holding the back panel to the sides lol....Hope it helps hahahahahaha!
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    Have your tired playing a radio while you are gone so there is noise in the back round, maybe he will think you are home then.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I totally feel you. I have a dog with similar issues - he's torn through 2 doors in my house, and destroyed the kennel tray as well! I don't have time to write just now but will message you later. I don't know if I'll have helpful advice but maybe some ideas to try.

Best wishes xoxo
  • dkent2009
    dkent2009 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi there,

We had the same issue with our dog we rescued. She would climb through vents, jump baby gates, she destroyed our couches and so on. She eventually grew out of it, although this took a long time, but kennel training was not a solution for her.LIke your dog, she is fine when we are around but being anxious and cooped up after we leave was torture for her. She needed to roam free. She hated it and to this day (we've had her for 3 years) we can't put her in a kennel.
    We found that exercising her a ton, especially beofore we leave, is the best way to deal with her anxiety. Also, leaving her toys out works as well. We will fill a kong with treats or peanut butter and now she associates us leaving with having something yummy :)
    Also-when leaving or coming home don't make a fuss of your dog, that way he doesn't thinking leaving and coming home is a big deal. It is really hard but if he is super excited just wait a few minutes until he calms down then bend down and give him pets and encouragment.
    Danielle
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Poor baby! My pup has anxiety too but she's more of a pee in the house, bark and howl kinda girl, less destructive. Two things I know of are Rescue Remedy, herbal drops you can give your pup. I used these for fireworks this year for my dog and my in-laws dog and no problems. Also, I just found Thunder Shirt yesterday, amazing results from what I hear but haven't gotten it yet. Recently I've been giving my girl a treat she adores when I walk out the door, never seemed to work before (maybe the old treats were gross) but she loves these new treats and she gets less upset when I leave so I think it keeps her slightly calmer because she doesn't get worked up when I walk out the door.

Here are the links:
    http://www.nelsonsnaturalworld.com/en-us/us/our-brands/rescue-remedy/using-rescue/why-rescue-pet/
    http://www.thundershirt.com/

Good luck to you and your baby!
  • SavannaN
    SavannaN Posts: 148
    Options
    I had that happen with my dog when we adopted her. We put her in a wire kennal and she would escape. It got to the point where we chained her in the kennal to the back so she couldnt get out. after about 2 months of that She stopped trying to escape. During the day while I was home, I would practice walking out of the house with her in the kennal to get her used to us coming back. I would literally take my purse and keys nad lock up like I was really leaving and go stand on the porch for 2 minutes and then come back home and after she quited down in the kennal I would release her. I would continually increase the time I stood outside. Once I heard her whining while I was outside so I went to the window and every time I heard her make any noises, I would tap on the window and yell NO! I must have looked really crazy to my neighbors...lol Then I started working with leaving her out of the kennal and make her lay on her bed before I left the house and start the time thing all over again. After about 6-9 months of really working with her on this, I could finally leave her alone out of hte kennal while I was gone. Proudly I can say no more do I have to do any soft of practicing with her in this. I even left her with the in-laws while I went on vacation 3 times now and she is just fine. I think she finally learned. Oh yeah, she can be left at other peoples houses all by herself and not have any problems as well. I Love my puppy!!!!!
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I know this must be terribly difficult for you! You can't help but get frustrated with him, but you know he's doing it because he's so upset. I've mostly had cats (7 of them, currently) and they really don't care that much, and the cats keep the beagle company.

Before we had so many cats, we had thought of getting another dog to keep the beagle company, is that something that might help?

There is lots of advice online about dog separation anxiety, here is HSUS' advice:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/separation_anxiety.html

Good luck, I feel for you!

BTW, my cats rip up all my furniture, so I took on reupholstery as a hobby...
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Sometimes kennel training works and sometimes it doesn't it depends on the history of your rescue pup. Your best bet might be to start desensitizing him to you being gone by reverse training. Ignore the bad behavior, do NOT punish anything you cannot correct in the middle of the behavior, and reward every time you see him starting to relax. Start by going to the mail box, then short walk, longer walk, etc etc until you know how long he can stay comfortably without total melt down mode. Some dogs just do not like the kennel and will become worse with time instead of better. Anxiety causes pacing, destruction and the like anything to keep the body and mind occupied until the anxiety passes... imagine having to be locked in the bathroom while you know something horrible is going on outside. That is how real it is for your dog. Do not expect to get a perfect dog if you cannot put in the time to gently push the boundaries in a controlled way. The more in control you are and the more alpha you stay the more at ease your pup will be.

I have had a LOT of dogs that start out with separation anxiety... now my dog pretends like she is a cat and literally sleeps the entire time I am gone and plays non stop for the first hour after I get home. Also my BEST advice is a tired dog is a happy non destructive dog and you look like you have a border collie or BC mix... those are SUPER high active breeds.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I would say that If you have 400 for daycare, can you use that money to hire a good trainer? Someone with experience in this area.

I love The Dog Whisperer and he helped cure a dog of this, so I know it can be done.

Thank God my dog has been doing great in our new place. Whew
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Sometimes kennel training works and sometimes it doesn't it depends on the history of your rescue pup. Your best bet might be to start desensitizing him to you being gone by reverse training. Ignore the bad behavior, do NOT punish anything you cannot correct in the middle of the behavior, and reward every time you see him starting to relax. Start by going to the mail box, then short walk, longer walk, etc etc until you know how long he can stay comfortably without total melt down mode. Some dogs just do not like the kennel and will become worse with time instead of better. Anxiety causes pacing, destruction and the like anything to keep the body and mind occupied until the anxiety passes... imagine having to be locked in the bathroom while you know something horrible is going on outside. That is how real it is for your dog. Do not expect to get a perfect dog if you cannot put in the time to gently push the boundaries in a controlled way. The more in control you are and the more alpha you stay the more at ease your pup will be.

I have had a LOT of dogs that start out with separation anxiety... now my dog pretends like she is a cat and literally sleeps the entire time I am gone and plays non stop for the first hour after I get home. Also my BEST advice is a tired dog is a happy non destructive dog and you look like you have a border collie or BC mix... those are SUPER high active breeds.

This is fabulous advice. Take it slowly and steadily. Border Collies are active and monstrously intelligent. Give him something to keep him busy while you're gone and run him until he's tuckered out.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    dont be afraid to go to your vet for advice either, there are medications that can be given (primarily prozac or xanax ). These should be used in conjuction with behavior modifaction, lots of great idea where given on that , and your vet can give more.

and i belive someone mention the thunder shirts, fantastic idea.

----vet tech of over 20 years
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    step 1 - buy a metal crate
    step 2 - exercise your dog
    step 3 - teach the dog that the crate is a safe place

If you are going to get a crate get a metal one....I lasts.
    You have what looks like a collie or sheltie mix...very high energy. Try walking a few miles with it, play ball for an hour, find a neighbor with a dog it can run with, etc Make it a routine, it will help you as well! A tired dog is a happy dog!
    Soft jazz or classical is great background music. Teach the dog that the crate is safe, ok , and you will return. Practice going in the crate, say "bedtime" and put dog in the crate. turn on music and get out of the house. come back and take dog for walk. It takes time for both of you. Crate training is not just about housebreaking. The crate is a place of shelter, no discipline or negative behavior towards a dog in a crate.

Dogs are adaptable, you need to have a plan and stick to it!
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone!!

So far we have bought a new metal crate. It's Kong brand and seems pretty durable so far. I think he likes how open it is, how he doesn't feel trapped and I also think its a lot less hot!

I've been working on leaving in small doses rather than just all at one time. To take the garbage out, to take a shower, to get the mail. I've had him alone for about and hour at a time at the longest now and so far so good, no escapes although its looks like he may have attempted.

I know he is extremely active and he works out primarily with his dad. He likes to go on runs (he can run a 5k with his dad! I cant even do that, ha) and he loves frisbees and tennis balls. Unfortunately he is not socialized and is extremely aggressive towards other dogs. I would love to take him to the dog park but until he gets some good training with other pups, I don't feel comfortable putting him or other dogs in a potentially bad situation.

Again, all the advice was very helpful and comforting knowing I'm not the only one with crazy pup. I guess it is all a learning experience!
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    socialization can be done with neighbors, friends, family and other dogs. THe more exposure the better. dog parks are a mixed bag...great fun but it can also teach bad habits and the possibility of diseases...no thanks. I have a neighbor with a equal size dog. we have let them run around together. At first they had a few alpha issues but after a few times...they get along great!

a lengthy walk can be as tiring as a run. try getting a 100' training lead to teach recall and also to allow the dog explore areas.
  • mrstrouty
    mrstrouty Posts: 15
    Options
    Sometimes a long walk before you leave the dog home for the day can alleviate some of that pent up energy. Maybe hiring a dog walker instead of doggie day care may be a better option. Someone mentioned leaving a radio on...that also has worked for me in the past. If all else fails, your veterinarian can offer some advice as to sedatives that you can give the dog.
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I say stay away from dog parks too many owners allow bad behavior and are too busy flapping their jaws to watch their dogs. Not all did are the life of the dog scene. So from one dog owner to another thank you for knowing and respecting your pups boundaries with other dogs. If you do want him to socialize with other dogs try finding a good, and trusted, dog owner that you can try for play dates with instead. You can study their body language better and you will also avoid a lot of the issues of dominance based aggression by skipping any functions where you are not completely control at all times. Even the most submissive dig will bite if pushed into a corner.
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Instead of doggy day care maybe it would be cheaper to have somone come to your house once a day and take him for a nice long walk. Have you tried putting something in the kennel that smells like you? We have done that when kennel training pups.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I say stay away from dog parks too many owners allow bad behavior and are too busy flapping their jaws to watch their dogs. Not all did are the life of the dog scene. So from one dog owner to another thank you for knowing and respecting your pups boundaries with other dogs. If you do want him to socialize with other dogs try finding a good, and trusted, dog owner that you can try for play dates with instead. You can study their body language better and you will also avoid a lot of the issues of dominance based aggression by skipping any functions where you are not completely control at all times. Even the most submissive dig will bite if pushed into a corner.

I had a German Shepherd owner allow her 120 pound dog jump on the picnic table right in front of me reading my book...........and laugh. He was staring me down as I gently lay down my book................just as my lab/rottie mix beat a path across the park to my side. Jumped up on the seat next to me and put her paws right on the table.............One bark and the other dog got down

My Jojo :love: was my hero.

But then I had to be careful of my attitude to the owner (whom I believe was drunk) because Jojo would come back. Instead I called the local police who sent parks guy to remove the owner.

Dogs are so intuitive. :heart:

I was at Pet Co yesterday and they have 'dog socialization' classes. They are big on adopt a pets, so work with ppl to keep their dogs. Maybe a class would be good? I may do so as we are living in a new area and there are a lot of little doggies that drive my Aussie nuts (in a he he he he which way did they gooooo, SQUIRREL....look! :laugh: :laugh: ) she just wants to play, and er....they do not:tongue: