belly

i have a bit of a beer belly and run often (anywhere from 2-6 miles a week) and have yet to see a change. i've been doing this for a while now and am wondering if anyone has any tips to trim my beer belly. less beer is an option but i'm 21 and like to think realistically. i do crunches as well as other belly busting exercises and would like to find something that has actually worked! thanks!

Replies

• i have a bit of a beer belly and run often (anywhere from 2-6 miles a week) and have yet to see a change. i've been doing this for a while now and am wondering if anyone has any tips to trim my beer belly. less beer is an option but i'm 21 and like to think realistically. i do crunches as well as other belly busting exercises and would like to find something that has actually worked! thanks!
  • A few things that worked for me were doing crunches on a work out ball.

What you do is sit on it, with your feet flat on the floor, toes against the bottom of the wall, and crunch side to side. I usually do that 4 sets 20 reps each side or more if you desire. That, combined with running on a treadmill in between sets, works like a charm for me.

Also, I don't know if you drink pop but I know if I give up pop for a week, my tummy goes down drastically. its all that carbonation.

Oh and try eating the recommended fruit a day, I think is 3 servings, I usually eat 4.

Hope I helped! :)
  • realistically it would be to cut out the beer for a little while & see if you notice a change. that's why it's called a beer belly, right? Do you drink lots of beer? If not then i'm not really sure. I wish you luck!!!
  • its not realistic to think that you can just do some crunches and eat/drink whatever you want and notice a difference.. it just cant happen sorry!!
  • From what I've read, it isn't possible to reduce body fat present in specific areas of the body.
    From the suggestions provided by the others, we can imagine a couple of things:
    you can see that the reduction in carbonated beverages will reduce the feeling of being bloated....
    the working of the abdominal muscles gives a feeling of being tighter, more fit, in the stomach area....
    we really aren't reducing the fat per se but giving ourselves a sensation of having less belly.
    At the same time, not drinking pop and beer, and working out are going to help you lose weight by reducing calories and increasing your metabolism, and we should all do this anyways.
    In the end, belly fat will decrease and so will fat on your body everywhere else - in varying proportions (just like the fat was deposited on our bodies in varying proportions in different areas).
    So the quick answer is "NO", long answer is hang in there and enjoy the ride and you can reduce your belly.
    Thomas
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    I shaved off 35 lbs in about 3 months, 90 % of it from my beer belly. There is no magic bullet. Unfortunately the only real solution is to cut back your beer consumption along with the need to eat healthy, exercise every day (I also run, about 3 miles a day on the tredmill at 3% incline) and do lots of core work (work your WHOLE core, crunches are ok, but they target only one part of the abdominal muscle, you should also do plancs, reverse crunches, side plancs, hangin knee lifts...etc)
    tekrueger is right, there is no way to target fat loss unfortunately. Core work won't make the beer belly go away quicker, but once it does go away, you will have a nicely shaped stomach. Plus, core strength is central to almost all other exercises and keeps your back in good shape.

Keep the metabolism going with small meals throughout the day and try to push your workouts.
    I started out running about a mile a day, then after It became comfortable, I went to 1 and a quarter, then after another 2 weeks 1 and a half. Then after 2 weeks I was up to 2 miles. Keep pushing yourself and your body will respond. By 2 months I was up to 3 miles which is where I am at now. Now I use intervals to push myself (I only have 1/2 an hour at lunch to work out). I.E. I speed up the tredmill for 2 minutes, or I up the incline. It keeps the body from becoming comlpacent during workouts.

Best of luck and hang in there, the stomach WILL come down.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    no such thing as spot reduction. if you don't want to cut out the beer, switch to a lower calorie beer, cut out the soda and choose healthier options in the rest of your diet. Also, try switching up your workouts, your body adapts to your excercise, the best way is to mix it up a lot. Try adding strength training, biking, eliptical.
  • There is a great excersise that I have found recently called "the dead bug" it works quite a few muscles but mainly your abs.

You lie down on your back, then slowly reach your arms up vertically and at the same time, lift your legs and bend your knees so that they are parallel to your hips (so you look like you're sitting on an invisible chair that's fallen over). Then hold your stomach muscles in, like you're trying to touch your back bone. Hold for 20 seconds and then rest for 10 seconds. Do four reps three times a week (that is what is recommended).