Losing weight without exercise

Options
Does anyone believe you can lose a significant amount of weight without exercising? Has anyone done this?

Replies

• HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I believe it. I've lost 30lbs, and although I've started running, I eat back most of my exercise calories so it hasn't dont much for weight loss. I know that many people on here have lost a lot of weight by being sedentary and not exercising. Exercise isn't needed for weight loss, though it is recommended and improves health and fitness.
  • price101110
    price101110 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! Changing the way you eat every day is very hard and stressful enough for me, i feel like i should stick to the diet first and then incorporate more exercise. I always quit because i feel like its all or nothing so im trying to change up my approach this time :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is simply about consuming less energy (calories) than you expend...so of course it's possible. It will be more difficult though if you are an otherwise sedentary person as your calorie targets will be rather paltry. I also don't recommend it as a matter of general health.
  • moose20fan
    moose20fan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes you can I have lost 99 LBS. since March with doing portion control only no extra exercise and cutting the extra sugar out
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! Changing the way you eat every day is very hard and stressful enough for me, i feel like i should stick to the diet first and then incorporate more exercise. I always quit because i feel like its all or nothing so im trying to change up my approach this time :)

Then it is better for you to take one step at a time so you don't feel overwhelmed.

If you start to feel like you want to do "something" but don't want to quite tackle formal exercise, try adding more movement to your day. Pace while you're on the phone, make more trips to the car with groceries, park further away from stores, clean the house more, do a few bodyweight squats while you're heating something in the microwave. Just think of little ways you can become inefficient in your day so you can add more movement. This will increase your total energy output and help you burn extra calories without formal exercise.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost 50lbs without exercise, and kept it off for a couple years before I decided to start working out.
  • Holly23bgs
    Holly23bgs Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Last year, I started losing weight just by changing my diet. I lost 50 lbs that way. I took a break from dieting and now I'm back. During that break I gained back 15 though, so not changing activity level is a problem for maintaining after a loss, for me anyway
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Your fat doesn't really care why you're in a calorie deficit. Just stay in a calorie deficit.

Now, if you want to look awesome, you exercise. You lift.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,662 Member
    Options
    Friend of mine on Nutrisystem did it and she's in a wheel chair.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you. It is very possible to lose weight without exercise. It's just all about creating a calorie deficit. If adding a work out regiment right now will make you feel overwhelmed and give up, then put it off. But definitely eventually start lifting, you will thank yourself for it.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Of course you can lose significant weight without exercise. I wouldn't, but that's just me. All you technically need is to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. The result in someone who is obese or morbidly obese is usually becoming "skinny fat". So aesthetically you won't look right in the end unless you had significant muscle before losing the weight. For me, exercise is all part of being fit and staying fit. My guess is that people who lose weight without exercise generally gain it all back then end up having to diet again. Adopting a moderate exercise routine going forward would help you stay fit and keep the weight off. Again, it's just my opinion.

Edit: The OP's profile mentions depression. Exercise is a good antidepressant. It makes you feel good afterward and can easily help your mood. It may take some willpower to get started but once you're done you'll feel great. Not to mention in the warmer weather if you get outside to exercise the added sunlight will also help keep you from being depressed. Give it a try.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Yep, lost 50lbs just by eating at the correct calorie deficit for my weight goals. I'm now several years into maintenance, and while I'm more active in my every day activities, I still don't set aside time to intentionally exercise. I've met my weight and health goals and I'm doing things in a way that's sustainable for me, for the long term :)
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I love exercise, but I have noticed in the past when I cut exercise out completely I tend to lose or lean out a little more. When I exercise I have a bad habit of letting my mind tell me its okay to eat more because I ran x amount of miles or I overestimate my calorie burn for my workout allowing me to eat more. When I am not exercising I tend to be more strict with my calories because I know I am not burning as much. So yes it is very possible.
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    cico deficit you will lose weight
    cico deficit + excercise you will lose weight and get fitter.

one is weight loss. one is weight loss + fitness and health.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do you want to lose both muscle and fat? Then it's not necessary to exercise.
    Do you want to lose mostly fat and retain your muscle? Then exercise.
  • price101110
    price101110 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Do you want to lose both muscle and fat? Then it's not necessary to exercise.
    Do you want to lose mostly fat and retain your muscle? Then exercise.

a large portion of my weight is muscle already, i dont really care if i lose some of both..i just want the fat gone!