eating excerise calories

Options
Is it better to eat these calories back??:flowerforyou:

Replies

• MoodyCrab15
    Options
    yes - most if not all. it's bad for your body if you're too far under your calorie allowance for the day. :)
  • aeryn69
    aeryn69 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    As far as I'm concerned, definitely. Maybe not all of them, but a good portion of them. I did a blog post on this a while back:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/aeryn69/view/the-great-calorie-misconception-64913

Bottom line is that for your body calories are energy. You've already got a calorie deficit built in by the site. If you're supposed to eat 1300 calories and you burn 500 then you're giving your body 800 calories of energy to have to do all the things it has to do every day, like staying awake and fighting infection and breathing. If you keep doing exercise and not giving your body the energy calories it needs to do it, then sooner or later your body is going to start thinking that you're writing cheques that it can't cash.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I was VERY successful eating back my calories! I hit my goal earlier than expected, too. :flowerforyou:
  • Crooks0204
    Crooks0204 Posts: 189
    Options
    Look under the "community" tab and click on general diet info............there is alot of great info there to read that will help you with this question. Or you can do a search!! Good luck with your goals!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/

Hi! This link contains a ton of articles from MFP all related to your question (it's a good one). read and research at least the original post on each one and so much will be explained!

Best of Luck!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I eat at least some of mine back. You want that net calories number to be around 1200.

Some people will say that they do just fine not eating thier exercise calories back. But I personally don't think it's good for your body.

Look at it this way.
    A person who's goal is 1200 calories a day goes and works out and burns say 800 calories.
    If they didn't eat any of those back they'd be giving their body 400 calories to work with for the rest of the day. IMO that's just not enough.

I personally have a goal of 1500 calories a day because I'm pretty active day to day even if I don't go and exercise.
    So lets say I have a really good exercise day and I burn 900 calories.
    So on a day like that I would try to eat around 2100 calories. 2100 - 900 = 1200 net calories.
    I generally have and issue eating that much so I try to eat high calorie healthy foods with healthy fats and protein such as peanut butter and other nuts.
    A day like this I didn't eat all my calories but I ate some of them and netted at least 1200.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Some do and some don't. Everyones body and system is different and it didnt work for me so I don't eat them back and have been doing this for 6 months and still losing 1.5 pounds a week and feel better than ever :wink: