PCOS Sucks! Let's win together!

Options
I have been diagnosed with PCOS. But, I am determined to make the changes to lessen the symptoms. I am 5'8 and 200 lbs with a goal weight of 150 lbs. I want a rainbow baby, but want to reach my goal weight 1st. I am now taking Metformin and it seems to be helping. My biggest hurdle is diet. I am eating crap. Which if you have PCOS, you know crap sticks to us like glue, in all the wrong places. Not everyone can understand our struggles. Weight loss/maintenance for us is not the same.

Friends wanted:
1. Are you having weight loss success with PCOS?...add me.
2. Is your diary visible? Cause, I would love to see meal ideas...add me.
3. Have you lost weight on metformin?...add me.
4. ARE YOU TIRED OF PCOS...me too!! add me.

Basically, add me and anyone else who post on this board because I believe us PCOS chicks can experience greater success if we support one another.

Replies

• louiseburrows44
    louiseburrows44 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey! I don't have PCOS but I do want to have a baby, my weight has been holding me back for a couple of years now so now is the time to make big changes as my biological clock isn't getting any younger! 84lbs to lose.... we can do this! Xx
  • drgmac
    drgmac Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 years old and also was diagnosed with PCOS. You can control it with diet and exercise. You will need to watch carb consumption and eat more lean protein, good fats, and vegetables. Good luck you can do it'
  • psychgirl_02
    psychgirl_02 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've had it since I was a adolescent. It wasn't diagnosed until over 10 years later. I've had diabetes for 10 years, it wrecked by thyroid, my pituitary, and my joints. I've always had weight issues, but I'm motivated to lose. PCOS does suck, but it's manageable with medication and diet. However, those sugar cravings are hard! I love sugar and carbs. I'm eating a lot of veggies and lean protein. I've lost 5 pounds in this past week.
  • Athena0303
    Athena0303 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wasn't diagnosed til my 30s, a good 10 years after symptoms started. I am trying the Insulite program and hoping to get to a size 8 (135-145 pounds for me at 5'5"). The struggle is real!
  • BelieveMe_elle
    BelieveMe_elle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have it too! The hardest thing is realizing we can't waver too much in our consistency with healthy eating and exercise.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. The weird "lean" kind.. non-IR and normal weight.. no other symptoms besides irregular periods (and as a result lack of fertility). Despite being non-IR I still decided to reduce my carbs to try to help regulate my cycles, not sure if it was that or chance but a few months later I fell pregnant with my daughter. Second time we had no issues probably because my hormones hadn't returned to normal yet.

I don't eat low carb now but if I ever start showing PCOS symptoms again I may consider it.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS and as a prediabetic in June 2016. I began meeting with a FNP/Dietician who helped me begin and maintain my weight loss journey. I began at 203 lbs. I am now down to 160 since June, and I am continuing to lose. My diary is open if you want to check it out.
  • TrueBeautyDanielle
    Options
    @louiseburrows44 My clock is ticking loudly. I can't even see a baby without getting all googly. 84 lbs is work just like my 50, but it's worth evry sweat and tear. It's interesting how losing weight makes our bodies more fit to carry a child.
  • TrueBeautyDanielle
    Options
    @drgmac thank you for the advice and encouragement
  • TrueBeautyDanielle
    Options
    @psychgirl_02 5 lbs in a week?!? This is good news. Keep doing what you are doing!
  • TrueBeautyDanielle
    Options
    Athena0303 wrote: »
    I wasn't diagnosed til my 30s, a good 10 years after symptoms started. I am trying the Insulite program and hoping to get to a size 8 (135-145 pounds for me at 5'5"). The struggle is real!
    Yes it is!
  • TrueBeautyDanielle
    Options
    I have it too! The hardest thing is realizing we can't waver too much in our consistency with healthy eating and exercise.
    That's something I need help with consistency. That's why I am on here and trying to build a support group.
  • TrueBeautyDanielle
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I have PCOS. The weird "lean" kind.. non-IR and normal weight.. no other symptoms besides irregular periods (and as a result lack of fertility). Despite being non-IR I still decided to reduce my carbs to try to help regulate my cycles, not sure if it was that or chance but a few months later I fell pregnant with my daughter. Second time we had no issues probably because my hormones hadn't returned to normal yet.

I don't eat low carb now but if I ever start showing PCOS symptoms again I may consider it.
    Congratulations on your baby. It looks like it is a good thing to reduce carbs with PCOS whether thick or thin. Thanks for the post.
  • TrueBeautyDanielle
    Options
    @jagodfrey08 thank you so much for sharing! I can tell you are a trailblazer! Congrats on your continual success!