Who are you really doing this for?

Have any of you started your weight loss journey thinking you were doing this for yourself but you're actually doing it for others? How it affect your journey and did you ever make a mental switch?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,430 Member
    I was doing this for myself when I started and I continue to do this for myself.

Others don't come into it.

Cycling, however does. I've done this and continue to do this for my cycling. :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2016
    I'm doing this purely for me. Not even in the back of my mind does anyone else even remotely enter into the equation. Before I got diagnosed with prediabetes I was totally content with my weight and I wouldn't have considered dieting otherwise.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I needed and deserved a better quality of life. I like how I feel and how much more I can do after losing some weight. That is motivating.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Everything I do fitness and nutrition wise is for me. The benefits also spread out to my family, friends and every person I meet, but it's for ME.
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    I'm doing this for me, but I think also for my family. I don't want to be the "Fat Mum" at the school gates and I want to show my child how to eat well, exercise and be healthy in a world that seems to give kids the impression that if it's not covered in sugar or fried it's not worth eating!
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    I'm doing this purely for me. Not even in the back of my mind does anyone else even remotely enter into the equation. Before I got diagnosed with prediabetes I was totally content with my weight and I wouldn't have considered dieting otherwise.

SAME. I started out thinking and doing this for myself, and I STILL do this for myself. I don't think it's bad that people have others for motivation (for kids, husband, wife, etc), but I also think it's important to actually want to do it for yourself. It's not uncommon to see people struggle and fail with a profile that states loved ones as the top reason they want to get healthy. Until they decide that they truly want success, excuses be *kitten*, it won't happen.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    for me....family members say that i have lost enough, but i know better
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    I do it for myself. Although I'm thrilled that some of it has rubbed off onto the hubs, he's learning.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    nope, just me, I am the only one that matters.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Only me. OP, are you concerned about your motivation?
  • I was doing it for myself until I had my daughter!!! She needs a healthy mom to be around for a very long time, and I will not deprive her of that as long as I can:):) It affected me in the sense to keep pushing and never give up!!! Mentally still working on that part lol :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    In this instance, be selfish. It really is all about you.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    I started for my kids. My 'good' cholesterol was Bad and I realized that I chose to have them later in life, I better do my best to be here as long as I can for them. And I started to change. No I have that cholesterol rockin' it really is much more for me... how I look and feel in outfits, etc. Even though i've struggled in the last year with some medical items, I keep moving! No matter that the scale and center are not exactly where I'd love them to be.

YOU are worth it!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Me.

My wife is thrilled that I'm losing weight, and that helps, but in the end I'm doing it for me.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    I'm doing it for three people: Me, Myself and I. :#
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    I'm sure lots of people do start that way but I would suspect they don't do it long if thats the case. The only reason to do it is for yourself because ultimately it's you who has to do the work and you wont do it long if you dont care.
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Absolutely 100% for me. However, it wouldn't hurt if an ex or someone saw me and thought "day-umm, I should have held onto that!" :wink:
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    You have to want it for yourself. I think that's why I yo yoed in the past... This time it's all for me!