Any triathletes or wanna be triathaletes ?

Options
So who's done one and who's training for one ?

Replies

• Jburlen2007
    Jburlen2007 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've done a few, but it's been roughly 5 years. Plan on doing a few next summer and a 5 day bike tour.
  • fish_daniel
    fish_daniel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Erm, not sure I class myself as a Triathlete, but done a few Olympic distance ones, a Ironman 70.3 and in training for IronmanUK 2017. Scared already. But a great challenge. Love them more than running as keeps your mind occupied.
  • Jburlen2007
    Jburlen2007 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would easily classify you as one; you've done one and are training for a full Ironman!

My life goal at the moment is to complete a 70.3, but we'll see how that goes. Darn running!
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I like to participate in different challenging events. Did a triathlon 2 or 3 years ago and loved it. Considering doing another one this summer if I can get my husband on board.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I did my first one last year. I keep waffling about if I'll do another, mostly because I really enjoyed the training more than I did the actual race. I think I prefer running races, but hate only running as part of training, and I liked getting to train for three different sports at once. So who knows?
  • swheate2014
    swheate2014 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be a triathlete but unfortunately I'm addicted to weight lifting......
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Here! I've only done one in the past several years after finishing my first ironman! I struggled with a neck injury and broken ankle. I'm hoping this summer to do my 5th 70.3.

But we are are trying to get pregnant so who knows if I'll be racing or not. I really miss it.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I've done a number of them over the last five years including a couple 70.3 distance events. I'm registered for a spring marathon and then two 70.3 races next summer.

I"m getting heavy lobbying pressure from my training partners and coach to register for Ironman Mont Tremblant. So far, I've resisted the pressure ;)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I might if I didn't have degenerative osteoarthritis in my feet. Can't do anything that involves hard impact on my feet.
    I got the swimming part down though. 4 miles a days 5 to 6 days a week.
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've thought about it. My aunt is, she does several Ironmans a year on top of marathons and other triathlons. She's been trying to get me to move up to that level. Right now I'm just a runner and I'll be happy if I survive my first marathon. Plus I can't swim.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I did two sprint distance TRI's a few years ago. Loved the overall idea and training - but I really couldn't stand cycling enough to get into it. Had also discovered obstacle course racing around the same time and feel completely in love with trial running, crawling under things, and climbing over things lol. I had taken a swimming clinic to get better at it for the TRI's and am so thankful because it is a big part of my OCR training and really helped me with a lower back issue I worked through this year.
  • jonathantennant
    jonathantennant Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great to hear. Fish_daniel you sound like a triathlete to me . I've done a few myself including IMUK back in 2006. Since then nothing much and because I eat like a triathlete but don'y exercise like one I've piled the weight on . I really have no excuse in doing at least one next year as the nearest one is only 400 metres from my house.
  • kuerscmk
    kuerscmk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Did my first 70.3 and full Ironman last year. Training for my second 70.3 in June of this year.
  • kuerscmk
    kuerscmk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Joenali wrote: »
    Here! I've only done one in the past several years after finishing my first ironman! I struggled with a neck injury and broken ankle. I'm hoping this summer to do my 5th 70.3.

But we are are trying to get pregnant so who knows if I'll be racing or not. I really miss it.

This is a true struggle! I completed a full IM last year with my husband and we both loved it, but we also want to start a family. I did sign up for a 70.3 in June hoping that even if I do get pregnant I could still race ok at 4 or so months along, I hope that's not too ambitious as I would just be looking to finish...
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a wannabe! Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want...

...money for a good bike.
  • studiog608
    studiog608 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I did one before I got back into weightlifting.
  • Racouol
    Racouol Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have entertained the idea of doing a triathlon. Unfortunately I am a horrible runner and I don't know how to swim.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    I might if I didn't have degenerative osteoarthritis in my feet. Can't do anything that involves hard impact on my feet.
    I got the swimming part down though. 4 miles a days 5 to 6 days a week.

I feel your pain, literally lol. Most of the bones in my feet were broken many years ago. I walk fairly normally these days, but impacts are tough to deal with.

What that has to do with this thread - my daughter and I start training together for Tough Mudders coming up in June. It isn't timed, so with custom orthotics and my tough as nails daughter as a teammate, I'm going to beat that course.

Apologies OP. It's not Ironman or a Triatholon, but it's all I've got at the moment :#

• dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    An Iron Man is so on my bucket list, but arthritic knees preclude biking and running ! I've got the swimming leg !