Exercising with an ankle injury

Options
A few weeks ago I tore the ligaments in my ankle, leaving me in lots of pain and unable to really exercise. I've bought an ankle support and am going to attempt a spin class tonight but does anyone have any recommendations of exercises I can do?! I really want high intensity workouts...

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If you are still in a lot of pain you shouldn't be doing a high intensity workout, and I would think a spin class is going to put a lot of strain on the joint. Did you get any advice when it first happened (i.e. about how to start exercising again)? I would guess gentle swimming to start with (or aqua aerobics), but if it is still really painful get some advice from a suitably qualified professional.
  • melm1903
    melm1903 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    you need to be asking a doctor, not the internet
    thanks for your insight there. I was just looking for some support from anyone who had possibly gone through the same thing as me.

• Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Well I was guided by my doctor and PT as far as exercise goes, so the above posters do have a good point.

I was able to swim using a pull buoy about 3 weeks after fracture repair surgery. I also used an aqua jogging belt to do very light water walking. For me it was less about "exercise" and more about moving around since I wasn't able to weight bear.
  • melm1903
    melm1903 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Joenali wrote: »
    Well I was guided by my doctor and PT as far as exercise goes, so the above posters do have a good point.

I was able to swim using a pull buoy about 3 weeks after fracture repair surgery. I also used an aqua jogging belt to do very light water walking. For me it was less about "exercise" and more about moving around since I wasn't able to weight bear.

Thanks for the answer :) I can weight bear and most of the time walk with only a a bit of discomfort that's why I asked. One of my friends commented on my status to say that circuit training using my upper body is a good way to still incorporate HIIT into my day :) that's my plan! My doctor was no use!!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'd tape the *kitten* out of it and see how it goes. I had a minor tendonitis in my foot a month or so back and taped it and ran through it. Worst advice ever right? I'm not a professional, don't base your decision on my decision. Also torn ligaments aren't tendonitis. This is what you want to hear though.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    melm1903 wrote: »
    Joenali wrote: »

Thanks for the answer :) I can weight bear and most of the time walk with only a a bit of discomfort that's why I asked. One of my friends commented on my status to say that circuit training using my upper body is a good way to still incorporate HIIT into my day :) that's my plan! My doctor was no use!!

There's a machine where you pedal with your arms. It's really great if you're dealing with a lower extremity injury. There's also a rope pull machine that hopefully your gym has.

I've never had torn ligaments but I had achilles tendonitis and a heel spur and using a stationary/spin bike only exasperated the problem. Tread carefully. Ask your doc for what you can do.

• CrabbyCancerMama
    CrabbyCancerMama Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    have you seen a physical therapist? much better than a doctor. I tore a calf muscle a couple months ago and run on an ankel where the fracture never healed (so it's actually still broke
  • mahia_20
    mahia_20 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I tore all ligaments in my ankle this summer from baseball. I had to wear a walking cast for 6 weeks. The only exercise I was able to do is weights for upper body, I still went to the gym everyday with my cast but focused on shoulders, chest, back and arms. Your ankle will not heal properly without rest. I was able to do tough mudder only 3 months after my injury.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have had two severe high ankle sprains. Not fun. But I am an exercise junky. So I bought an exercise ball chair (save the tailbone) and did zumba and kickboxing sitting. LOL I did all of the upper body movements and used the ball to change direction and do light lower body, like tapping my feet or just moving them to the front and side. It helped me feel like I was doing SOMETHING. I also did upper body strength training and some Pilates. I used the recumbent bike as well. And using crutches can be a MAJOR workout. LOL My doctor (on the second sprain) told me not to use the walking boot that they like to give out because it impairs healing. To use the crutches for (goodness, was it six weeks??) and then start to walk on it again. Wish I had known that with my first sprain because the second one healed MUCH quicker!!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I fell exactly a year ago, ripped 3 ligaments in my ankle. I was casted, had to walk with a cane, and after 6 weeks, started physical therapy. My therapist said I had the worst injury he'd ever seen in a woman my age.

When I got the OK from my dr, I was allowed to walk on the treadmill and take barre classes and then Deep Extreme classes. Slowly, I got back to regular weights and spin class. Unclipping that foot was EXCRUCIATING for a while - I was told to take my foot out of the shoe and then unclip it with my hands.

I never use the step anymore unless it's a weights platform - no step aerobics for me at all. I also don't always jump or do jumping jacks. It's all in how you feel.

Good luck!
  • Alisonswim46
    Options
    I fell exactly a year ago, ripped 3 ligaments in my ankle. I was casted, had to walk with a cane, and after 6 weeks, started physical therapy. My therapist said I had the worst injury he'd ever seen in a woman my age.

When I got the OK from my dr, I was allowed to walk on the treadmill and take barre classes and then Deep Extreme classes. Slowly, I got back to regular weights and spin class. Unclipping that foot was EXCRUCIATING for a while - I was told to take my foot out of the shoe and then unclip it with my hands.

I never use the step anymore unless it's a weights platform - no step aerobics for me at all. I also don't always jump or do jumping jacks. It's all in how you feel.

Good luck!
    I hear you! I'm terrified of falling!
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle a few years ago as well, casted for 4 weeks, then 2 more weeks NWB. It took me 2 YEARS to be able to run and jump again. BUT-even with a cast I did circuit training focusing on upper body. Use it as an opportunity to do something different!
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    THere are thousand of moves without your ankles involved, you can try all abs moves on the floor, arm, shoulders machenes, Tracy Andersen moves on the floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kK9-h6TgMU
    So many to choose from, good luck, I hope they make u to sweat a lot
  • Alisonswim46
    Options
    The above exercise seems that it would be incredibly painful to do with an ankle injury.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Swimming is probably a safe bet. But as others have noted, check with your ortho.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Consult with your doctor/ortho/PT/chiro/etc.

I would highly recommend you don't just slap on a brace and rush back into working out. I could list 10+ athletes I know personally that have destroyed ankles from doing that and will always deal with ankle issues now. It's not worth it. Take the time to explore exercises you are able to do safely. Look for alternative things to spend your energy on if that is the problem (crafting, writing, etc).