Weight training at home!!

Options
I have recently hit my weight loss goal. My next goal is to tone and start lifting more. As of now I am currently un able to have the gym life, so I workout from home. Can any one give me some advice and suggestions on where to begin?

Replies

• steelcutfit
    steelcutfit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congrats on hitting your weight loss goal!

No worries on not having access to the gym. If your goal is to tone up, especially if you are just starting a lifting program, working out from home is a great way to start because you don't want to go to heavy or hard right off the bat.

Home strength training workouts can be great using bands. This will give you the resistance you need to start adding muscle.

Additionally, any good body weight exercises (air squats, pushups, supermans, crunches etc).

Hope that helps. Keep up the great work.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

Here is a list of program for you to look into for weight training. There is a bodyweight section that can be done at home.
  • M_Izod91
    M_Izod91 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you both so much. You have definitely gave me some insight to this.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I workout exclusively from home. Doing Body Beast right now and enjoying it very much!
  • M_Izod91
    Options
    jvs125 wrote: »
    I workout exclusively from home. Doing Body Beast right now and enjoying it very much!
    I am currently doing p90X but aside from that I wanted to go more in depth with the weight training.
  • swheate2014
    swheate2014 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm using beachbody's 21 day fix DVD's and having a great time with them. I think it's a smart way to start with light weight training. I'm coming back from a serious back injury so these workouts are great for now.
  • swheate2014
    swheate2014 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using the beach body 21 day fix program. I'm just coming off a serious back injury and I think it's a great way to start up with simple resistance training . Plus it's only $60.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I do strong curves at home and my partner does strong lifts 5x5. We have a variety of equipment though. Benches, bars, numerous plates, chin/pull up bar, dumbells, kettlebell, box/step and large exercise ball.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    M_Izod91 wrote: »
    I have recently hit my weight loss goal. My next goal is to tone and start lifting more. As of now I am currently un able to have the gym life, so I workout from home. Can any one give me some advice and suggestions on where to begin?

My biggest suggestion would be to make some fitness equipment investments. I understand not being able to join a gym, but it really is worth it in the long run. The necessities for at-home training would be interchangeable dumbbells (that go up to about 50 lbs. or so), ankle weights and resistance bands. Lots you can do with these few items!
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Look up Fitness Blender on YouTube. They have hundreds of workouts, with equipment and without. Best of all, it's free!
  • M_Izod91
    Options

My biggest suggestion would be to make some fitness equipment investments. I understand not being able to join a gym, but it really is worth it in the long run. The necessities for at-home training would be interchangeable dumbbells (that go up to about 50 lbs. or so), ankle weights and resistance bands. Lots you can do with these few items!

Thank you so much. I'm in the means of getting more equipment once we move, so I'll definitely look into what I need.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I bought a used power cage with safeties, weights bar & bench for $300 2 years ago. I've done StrongLifts & PHUL. I got some dumbbells and I can do most strength programs, with some modifications.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Then Body Beast would be a great next step!
    jvs125 wrote: »
    I am currently doing p90X but aside from that I wanted to go more in depth with the weight training.

• slivesey77
    slivesey77 Posts: 2,450 Member
    Options
    As far as equipment for home workouts a kettlebell can be a great investment for toning, cardio and strength building.
  • JustLikeJordin
    JustLikeJordin Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Momswearheels.com has an amazing All in home workout designed specifically for women looking to tone and enjoy some gentle gains. Minimal equipment needed and Monica, the trainer, looks amazing.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing stronglifts with the addition of barbell hip thrusts. You need a barbell, squat stands/rack, weight plates and a place to lift. I found my equipment for free (someone was giving it away). It's not the best, but I have up to 300lbs of weights before I decide to join a gym.